• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Wanna Go To Tokyo In 3 Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:
roxybudgy wrote:
Some people just aren't meant to travel.

Sadly, this. [. . .] I don't get it, but I feel like this might be a more and more common attitude with young people. It's sad.

I don't think it's a matter of age or anything else other than mental makeup. Just like how I don't think roller coasters or haunted houses are exciting, some people may not find travel interesting. Or maybe they do find those things interesting but when they do them, find themselves in way over their head.

I went to Japan with a small group of friends, and one of the friends who organized the trip insisted that he have at least one meal per day at McDonald's. I personally did everything to avoid Makudo simply on principle (though I did go to Burger King & KFC) but to this person, the trips were a way to mentally anchor himself.

It's easy for us to say that the daily life of a Japanese urbanite isn't that far removed from that of an American, but it can be much harder to fully comprehend.
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

This is why localization of anime and video games to general audiences change names, remove Japanese cultural references, and otherwise pass themselves to try to be as western as they can. People question why Takeshi's onigiri is changed to Brock's donut or why all the Digidestined have western names--people like them are the reason why, and as can be seen with all these anecdotes, there are a LOT of them.

C'mon dude. You're living 15 years in the past.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
There's a McRice in the Philippines, but I've never seen McDonalds in Japan feature a rice bun. MOS Burger has rice bun burgers, though.

The McDonalds Japanese menu is pretty much the same as the US menu, with the exception of some of the promotional sandwiches they have. The menu is largely beef, with quite a few chicken and a pork item or two in there. The portion sizes are smaller, but to be honest, I find Japanese McDonalds to be tastier than the US counterpart because it's just not as greasy. I'd consider eating a burger in Japan whereas in the US, I'd go with the chicken option.

I also think the Happy Meal(Happy Set) toys are a lot better too. The toys are either better made or useful. I kept all of mine.

Thanks for pointing it out then. I wonder what it is that was weird about the menu, in that case, besides the Japanese text that would inevitably be on it.

TarsTarkas wrote:
It is also rude to make arrangements with strangers to intrude on them and their property, and then at the last minute change your mind. It is rude, because you have wasted the property owners time.
But I guess since they were Americans, their time is more important than some lowly Japanese serf.

It's something you see all the time with Hollywood: They'll obtain permission to shoot at some particular place but shoot somewhere else at the whim of the director (or sometimes, the producer, executive, or lawyer). Whether they inform the people who own these publicly accessible places when they change their mind varies with the individual. It's not an issue of selfishness or superiority, but of fickleness and lack of consideration.

The owners can get frustrated with movie and TV crews if it keeps happening though, and "no" means "no" when it comes to location scouting, so they still have to be careful not to do it too recklessly.

Greboruri wrote:
I hardly ever managed to crack 1000 yen on any meal when I was over there. I don't know why people would go to McDonalds when there are literally thousands of other options more tasty and just as cheap (certainly I'd prefer to go to Mos Burger or Freshness Burger if I was up for a burger). Yeah, generally family restaurants have cheap drink bar options. Saizeriya and Jonathans are pretty good and cheap.

Simple: McDonald's is familiar. I've never heard of Mos Burger or Freshness Burger, and I'd guess those people wouldn't have either. (I'm guessing these are hamburger chains that exist in Japan.) Even if they're willing to step in, they might not like the food there, or they might be scared that people don't speak the same language.

Whenever I visit a large city, I always want to go eat whatever is their signature food, preferably at their most famous location. (I was annoyed when I went on a tour through Philadelphia and could not get a cheesesteak, let alone one at Pat's or Geno's, because the tour stopped to eat only at--you guessed it--McDonald's.) But I know a lot of people don't, and it frequently becomes an issue when someone I know wants to take trips to other parts of the world. Heck, I find people getting nervous about non-chain hamburger restaurants.

noigeL wrote:
C'mon dude. You're living 15 years in the past.

It's still being done with Pokémon, Beyblade, Bakugan, Fossil Fighters, and other things of Japanese origin aimed primarily at children. It's going to be done with Yo-kai Watch too.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
Jus throwing this out here but...

I think it's kind of understandable to stick with foods you know in foreign countries. A lot of people have special dietary needs these days... I know people who are lactose intolerant, have fish allergies, and / or gluten allergies (some people all 3 O.o) And I've had my share of Japanese food, they put seafood / fish in some unexpected places. Of course, American places toss wheat almost everywhere (apparently there's pancake batter in IHOP omlettes). It may come across rude but there's nothing worse than getting sick in an unfamiliar place. Also our stomachs kind of acclimate to what we eat regularly. I've seen vegetarians get sick if there's meat in say, a soup broth not because of an allergy but just because their stomach can't digest it that well anymore.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Even if they're willing to step in, they might not like the food there, or they might be scared that people don't speak the same language.

The menu has pictures on it. Point. It ain't that hard. Plus Mos Burger has an English menu. It's really not all that hard to find out what is available in terms of restaurants anywhere in the world via Tripadvisor or whatever. Each to their own, but if you've travelled halfway across the world the last thing I think you'd want is to do the same thing you'd do at home. Otherwise what the hell was the point in going in the first place?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
Based on what I see going on some of these tours, to take photographs. I've spoken with some of them--it's to show off to their friends and family back home that they actually went there. "Pics or it didn't happen," basically, long before it became a thing to say on the Internet. They're not that interested in experiencing things; they just want to see them.

Sometimes, these tourists come from countries that have been isolated for a long, long while, or they live in an area that does not have much contact with the outside world. They'll have only eaten foods available in their village or whatever, and everything else is scary and off-putting.

There's also that Bizarre Foods show that may be scaring some tourists, who might think that if they're in Kazakhstan and not at McDonald's, they're eating horse rectum; or if they're in Peru and not at KFC, they'll have grilled absurdly fat worms for dinner.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
Reading this thread reminded me of the show "No Reservations". I think it's almost been a decade since I last watched the show. It was aired on the Discovery Channel here in Japan. I remember the host being naughty and handsome. He literally ate anything handed to him.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Edit: Never mind. Tired reader brain glossing over details he should have caught.

Last edited by Greg Aubry on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
Re: Localization:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
noigeL wrote:
t;]C'mon dude. You're living 15 years in the past.

It's still being done with Pokémon, Beyblade, Bakugan, Fossil Fighters, and other things of Japanese origin aimed primarily at children. It's going to be done with Yo-kai Watch too.

Don't forget Doraemon!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
On a complete side note from the actual story in this column, I wish there were a short preamble about whose tale of the industry we're reading. A la "this week, we hear from a former head of marketing at one of the smaller American anime publishers".
The following was in the column header text

This week, we have a story contributed by a long time marketing consultant and freelancer who no longer works on anime full-time, but still freelances in the field on occasion. We've removed the finer details, but everything else is as he told it to us
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The following was in the column header text

This week, we have a story contributed by a long time marketing consultant and freelancer who no longer works on anime full-time, but still freelances in the field on occasion. We've removed the finer details, but everything else is as he told it to us

Yup, totally missed that for some reason. I need sleep. Razz
JonLa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Taking a picture of a tourist location or item is a sign that you engaged with the place, interacted with it - its actually a marker that you did it - it's your picture, not the one in the guide book. My picture of the Golden Temple in Kyoto is very similar to the ones in all the guidebooks, but it's mine. I did it. I went there.
consignia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:

Yup, totally missed that for some reason. I need sleep. Razz

No, I missed it as well. It's difficult to see because it's buried the boilerplate text about the column.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was funny that Justin was surprised that the super hot female host seemed upset about having to room with some guy. And not even a guy from the site, some random anime nerd who popped up at the last minute... at the last minute to replace the person they all thought was going. Finding out the rooms are coed at the last minute is a reasonable thing for her to be upset about imo.

I don't know, this whole thing didn't sound that bad to me. People are different. Some people don't want to try the new crazy thing. Most of them sounded like they were there to do a job and they were under the impression that Justin were essentially the manager/assistant that organizes everything and makes it run smooth, not the culture guide taking them to shrines, trying out wild new cuisine, or planning all their fun events.

While we're on fun events, Justin was really surprised that everyone wasn't elated to get dragged out to a karaoke bar to hang out with your old friends? I'd be curious to know what his hosting was like. Was he really trying to get everyone to mingle or was it more like, "I'm here with my friends, you guys figure out how to entertain yourself."

It seems like there was a giant disconnect between what they thought Justin was there for and what Justin was under the impression he was there for. The most glaring being Justin getting upset that he had to get the two girls back to the hotel from the karaoke bar. I imagine that they were under the impression that getting the talent from point a to point b was one the basic duties of the job while Justin seemed to think it was something he shouldn't have to do.

CandisWhite wrote:
As for the group of schmucks in the article, Whew! Way to miss the point of going to a foreign country, especially one that is pretty different from your own.

They weren't on vacation though. This was their job. They had work to do and probably didn't care about exploring to find some cultural sites. For them, the whole point was probably to get these video clips shot and filmed and that's what they were there for.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I've seen vegetarians get sick if there's meat in say, a soup broth not because of an allergy but just because their stomach can't digest it that well anymore.

Proteins require enzymes to digest. If someone hasn't eaten a particular kind of protein (meat, dairy, whatever) for a while, their digestive system probably doesn't produce enough of the correct enzyme anymore.

It can happen to anyone who changes their diet drastically, although most people are probably more familiar with the effect when they change their pet's diet.

Do yourself a favor and eat a variety of foods all the time. Don't wait until you travel.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I thought it was funny that Justin was surprised ....

... under the impression that Justin were essentially the manager/assistant ....

... Justin was really surprised ....

... they thought Justin was there for and what Justin was under the impression he was there for. The most glaring being Justin getting upset ... while Justin seemed to think ....

This was a non-Justin story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7