• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police Investigate Connecticut Middle School Boy Over 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Madoka-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:
I can't see a kid doing this unless they were bullied, he probably wrote down the names of people who harass and bully him.

I find this odd irony actually, they are willing to discipline the likely bullied student for the sake of what he might use as nothing more than stress relief (names in a notebook wont kill anyone... but it might help him feel better wishing it would) whilst letting the likely bullies walk away. Thing is, do we randomly resort to making a death note and scribbling names in for fun? Okay a handful might but most likely people who do this have a reason to hate them.

Fact: A death note in reality is nothing more than a notebook
Fact: You discipline possessors of note books... contradicts being in school where oddly enough i found notebook handy for... oh i don't know, taking notes?
Fact: Humanity is so stupid it can't tell reality from fiction

Just saying, i keep reading this happening and honestly if the kid is a victim to bullying or some form of misery due to these people, i find it only fair to say the teachers are co-conspirators in bullying.

If the kid is just doing it for laughs, just as much shame to teachers, you kick him out from writing a name in a book...

So question, a lot of my text books, work books and believe it or not NOTEBOOKS (o.o) had my name in them at school... was i in need of being punished for writing my name in a book. Worse thing is, one notebook had friends names in... i mean sure it was a draft roster for some work but surely i should be expelled for that, right? o.o
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Yeash! Kids these days. For whatever reason, if you don't like someone, just draw a picture of them, crumble it up, then throw it in the trash. Don't write down bad things you want to do to a person. And especially don't go off and create a make-believe notebook that kills your targets.

Or do what I've been doing for the past few years: keep the bad thoughts to yourself. That way nobody gets hurt and you don't end up expelled/suspended/arrested. Smile
wohdin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
Why is this still happening? Death Note is like 8 years old now, it's no longer relevant. This kid was not even in school when Death Note finished being serialized.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
This is why one should never have kids
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Instead of blaming an inanimate object again, why don't they look at the kid? The kid probably has some mental problem to begin with if they're keeping a list like this... but no one ever wants to talk about mental illnesses. Oh no, let's blame inanimate objects and fiction instead.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
EtherFrosty wrote:

You're right. We can't guarantee all the families that their children won't be attacked. But, like others said, there wouldn't be any problem if the notebooks didn't say Death Note on them. Every child is a potential victim even if the list they're on doesn't say Death Note on it. You can't guarantee every child's safety every time they walk out the door.

You are right. And so are the others. I am of the firm belief, that for every straight "A" student that graduates, that we also create human monsters.

You can only push people so far, before many of them break. Some become eternal victims, and some become vengeful monsters.

Despite all the media attention and "rah rah" sessions, bullying is still a major problem. The main reason is because many school administrators and staff don't want to truly deal with the issue. They either ignore the problem or punish the victims and bullies equally. Or they fail to protect the victims afterward, in case of revenge attacks.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
This is why one should never have kids

So they won't make a hit list or so they won't tell on someone who made the hit list?
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if everyone had the opportunity to read the articles that went in more depth, the "Superintendent Of The School" undergoing research with the case is fully aware that the "Death Note" is based on an anime, it doesn`t pose a threat to the students he says.

The problem is that news articles collect different data and is inevitable to miss some data, when scattered along the internet.

Writing people`s name into a "Death Note" which was used to kill people in a series is still something to take it account, you never know what can happen, generally speaking "Death Note" or many series in general such as "Grand Theft Auto" isn`t going to make the masses go out in kill, but there are cases in which someone is mentally-ill and it just takes someone or something to help spark that fire. (For example: The cases of the "Grand Theft Auto" killings, not everyone is killing people, nor does it inspire everyone, but from time to time a select few are influenced to do so or just can`t take the pressure exerted on them for many different reasons (Such as: Bullying, mental-issues, family problems and etc).

Being inspired by something in a positive light is also expressed commonly, from people wanting to do better for the world or creating something that they enjoy, from being influenced by something or someone in their life. ("Akon" Recently the popular-musician is in works to help millions in Africa receive Solar Power, to those unable to receive it, obviously from where most of Africa stands financially.)

(Back in the case of this article.)
I Do believe that the kid may have been being bullied to this or is indeed mentally ill and may need help. But, it is all still speculation, we aren`t associated with these people or the case directly, so we can`t completely understand what`s lying here. I Do hope they do the right thing.

We all have done something our parents never wanted us to do in our life time, so understand that parents don`t have complete control over their children, which in anyway is good and bad.
[/url]
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This wouldn't be happening if schools actually did something about bullying. But they obviously don't care.

I was a victim of constant bullying when I was in school as a kid, my only outlet was violent video games like Doom.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
So basically "Kid found with Titan Shifter ring from Attack on Titan and is apprehended from the school" ... Yeah, overreacting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

animechic420 wrote:
Yeash! Kids these days. For whatever reason, if you don't like someone, just draw a picture of them, crumble it up, then throw it in the trash. Don't write down bad things you want to do to a person. And especially don't go off and create a make-believe notebook that kills your targets.

Or do what I've been doing for the past few years: keep the bad thoughts to yourself. That way nobody gets hurt and you don't end up expelled/suspended/arrested. Smile

That sounds like the logic of someone who would keep quiet about bullying.

Haha kids these days with their free expression!!

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Uh, the police know that Death Notes don't actually work in real life, right? Are they afraid of burning it because of the fake rule, or what?

"Because it means this kid wants these people to die!" So? Let the kid have an outlet. If you start finding plans for carrying out his revenge, then you can start worrying.

Wanting people to die is not a crime. Just keep an eye out for the kid when you can and maybe keep sharp objects away from him. No big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Does it say how long he was suspended (I don't think it does on the ANN article), but if it was longer than a day or two I don't agree. Instead of just banning the kid from school how about scheduling him with a school counselor? I don't understand why school's think suspending kids fixes problems like this. He obviously needs someone to talk to.
mirorin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
He's doing it wrong. You can't let the masses find your Death Note!

No, but seriously. Counseling may be warranted, but a child's "hitlist" or "revenge list" is as common as a diary. Suspension? Expulsion? Police Investigation? Has he expressed intimidation, therefore making it illegal? As far as we know, he has only expressed his thoughts (in a notebook...to himself?). C'mon, unless there's evidence of potentially acting on it, that's illogical and fearful. I'm sure plenty of people like to hope their boss dies too. Does that warrant legal action when it's a thought? Kids sure aren't as innocent or naive as adults like to think, and they suffer quite a bit too. They need an outlet.

I think the stupid children shouldn't get all the blame either. They shouldn't be parading around a DN, but why are elementary students watching DN in the first place? It's not exactly for the young and impressionable, and they shouldn't even have the means to even buy a DN. Parental supervision where?

Last edited by mirorin on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
animechic420 wrote:

That sounds like the logic of someone who would keep quiet about bullying.

Well, it's like what @Running Wild wrote
Quote:
This wouldn't be happening if schools actually did something about bullying. But they obviously don't care.

I was a victim of constant bullying when I was in school as a kid, my only outlet was violent video games like Doom.

Adults don't do $hit and never will. The bullies always get away with what they done and the victims are blamed because they acted.

You can't win. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5