• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police Investigate Connecticut Middle School Boy Over 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Death Note? Again?
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
This is only news here on ANN because it said "Death Note" on the book. That doesn't mean that it isn't itself news. Long before Death Note, yes, you had people writing names in notebooks as revenge lists. And when it happened, you had that person being investigated then too. I know of several instances where this happened back in my days in school. The difference was, you didn't have it making it onto the news outside maybe a local publication or local news story.

So yes, the fact that "we" know about this is because it's Death Note. But this has been a long-standing issue that has routinely been investigated at least back to my school days in the 90s.

Everyone keep saying "well, he was bullied" or "it's just names in a book", but that's how it always starts. You interdict the situation now, you find out if that kid really is bullied, and you prevent some family from losing their kid, particularly the kid who wrote those names in that book since if it reaches the point of violence they will either hurt themselves, or lead to a mass-casualty incident where they kill themselves or get shot by police. I just don't know what option other than investigating people are hoping for. Hand the book back and pretend you never saw it?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Maybe don't let your 7th grader read Death Note if he brought a BB gun to school in 5th grade?

I know, right? Jesus Christ.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Maybe don't let your 7th grader read Death Note if he brought a BB gun to school in 5th grade?

But if kids never get to see Death Note, how will they be inspired to grow up to be L? Cool

(Or even Light, ftm, just, y'know, not in that way...There just aren't that many smart teen guys in anime.)
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I have Lady Gaga's real name in my Death Note and her cause of death is a very brutal one.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
-Madoka- wrote:
I find this odd irony actually, they are willing to discipline the likely bullied student for the sake of what he might use as nothing more than stress relief (names in a notebook wont kill anyone... but it might help him feel better wishing it would) whilst letting the likely bullies walk away. Thing is, do we randomly resort to making a death note and scribbling names in for fun? Okay a handful might but most likely people who do this have a reason to hate them.

Fact: A death note in reality is nothing more than a notebook
Fact: You discipline possessors of note books... contradicts being in school where oddly enough i found notebook handy for... oh i don't know, taking notes?
Fact: Humanity is so stupid it can't tell reality from fiction

Just saying, i keep reading this happening and honestly if the kid is a victim to bullying or some form of misery due to these people, i find it only fair to say the teachers are co-conspirators in bullying.

If the kid is just doing it for laughs, just as much shame to teachers, you kick him out from writing a name in a book...

So question, a lot of my text books, work books and believe it or not NOTEBOOKS (o.o) had my name in them at school... was i in need of being punished for writing my name in a book. Worse thing is, one notebook had friends names in... i mean sure it was a draft roster for some work but surely i should be expelled for that, right? o.o

+1 From me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Had to make an account because a lot of you here were pissing me off. Some of you are just Otaku who think "Ah! He's an anime fan. I must defend him!". It's much more than that..
Even if it isn't real, the book is used to kill people in the anime. Someone having that book and writing names in it, it's disturbing. Would you want your name wrote in it even while knowing it was fake? It wasn't even a friendly joke.. The kid was being bullied, he would've moved on to guns sooner or later. Honestly sick of some of you acting like this is black and white. I'm an anime fan too and I can see why he was suspended.

Not defending the police or the bullies though. They were still wrong to suspend him. But the kid was in no way, innocent. The teachers need to do something about the bullying too (Unless the kid didn't tell them that he was being bullied. If he didn't, then that's wrong on his part)
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

And you are really ready to guarantee that 100% to the families of the potential victims?

Indeed. Because this is Ameri...(not really..America = all countries in the continent, yes one!), Becuase this is the USA we are talking about, school shootings are commonplace over there.

So like it or not those kind of actions (suspension, disciplining the kids) are justified when you find someone has written the name of someone ins a book called "death note" You can blame it in all school shootings and all crazy things that happen there commonly in a country that defend having guns like its the right to breath. Plain and simple.

Also love it how people here just because we all are quite familiar with Death Note, want to pretend all must be as well, imagine notifying the parents of those kids being told their kids name was written in a "death note" with a probable way to die/be killed...you expect them to be familiar with death note and be cool? Even if they knew it would be not less worrying, you cna never know when the next psychopath will goaon a killing spree in your kids school.

This is the issue with must modern otaku, blindness is just too common. You need and CAN be objective, leave blind love to otaku related things behind, at least, when the occasion necessarily calls for it.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
Okay....is it weird that the first thing that popped into my head was "wait, middle schoolers these days actually know what Death Note is?" lol. Nah but seriously....what's the big damn deal, when my sis was in middle school there was this weirdo that carried one around and wrote people's names in it and everyone thought it was hilarious lol. I don't even live very far from Connecticut being a Jersey guy myself.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
In 8th grade I briefly had a "Revenge List" à la Homer's Revenge list. This was many years before Death Note was a thing, and I played it for laughs so it was not a serious list.

Luckily it was a gag that only lasted a week or so, cause not long after that Columbine happened, and my school took up a "zero tolerance" rule for stuff like that...
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
#839905 wrote:
Had to make an account because a lot of you here were pissing me off. Some of you are just Otaku who think "Ah! He's an anime fan. I must defend him!". It's much more than that..
Even if it isn't real, the book is used to kill people in the anime. Someone having that book and writing names in it, it's disturbing. Would you want your name wrote in it even while knowing it was fake? It wasn't even a friendly joke.. The kid was being bullied, he would've moved on to guns sooner or later. Honestly sick of some of you acting like this is black and white. I'm an anime fan too and I can see why he was suspended.

Not defending the police or the bullies though. They were still wrong to suspend him. But the kid was in no way, innocent. The teachers need to do something about the bullying too (Unless the kid didn't tell them that he was being bullied. If he didn't, then that's wrong on his part)

Dude, choose a better account name next time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
This again? No Justin Beiber this time?

Was this list written in any other notebook, nobody would give it a second thought, so I don't see how these names being in a Death Note makes this any more serious. Unless there was some other evidence that this kid was actually planning to kill these people, this is a joke.

Justin Beiber is soon reaching cultural irrelevancy. This isn't like the 1980's where musicians can stay on the charts for years and years, especially if the artist's schtick is that he or she is young.

EricJ2 wrote:
I know most police don't watch Cartoon Network, and I respect them for that--I was actually on the side of the police who mistook a couple of teens putting some Aqua Teen light-up device on a bridge for a bomb--but could we have actual outreach program where we show the Death Note anime to police and school principals so they've at least HEARD OF IT???

I would guess that them watching Death Note would scare them even more. Someone who hasn't heard of it would likely think that it's a list of people they want dead. Someone who has seen the anime or read the manga would know it's a book that literally kills people. They'll treat fake Death Notes not as a venting of pent-up anger, but a power fantasy, which is more dangerous.

Sunset In the Hood wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
And you are really ready to guarantee that 100% to the families of the potential victims?

We should encase each child in bubble wrap and make them stay at home, locked in their rooms. That's the only way to protect children from angry kids.

Well, that's what home schooling is for. Parents today seem to be so very terrified. Well, some parents are anyway. I also see a lot of the other end of the continuum: Parents who let their kids do whatever they want as long as they don't get in the parents' way.

The purpose seems to protect them from everything. I get the impression these adults see the world as a hostile place, with something around every corner ready to molest or harm kids, and it's the duty of adults in good standing to make sure these kids are safe, above all other things.

The fact that this school decided to suspend him for the rest of the year means they've chosen the path of safety at all costs.

-Madoka- wrote:
I find this odd irony actually, they are willing to discipline the likely bullied student for the sake of what he might use as nothing more than stress relief (names in a notebook wont kill anyone... but it might help him feel better wishing it would) whilst letting the likely bullies walk away. Thing is, do we randomly resort to making a death note and scribbling names in for fun? Okay a handful might but most likely people who do this have a reason to hate them.

A smart bully is one whose bullying is done away from the eyes of authority figures. An even smarter one will gain the adults' favor. The most surefire ways to do this are to get good grades and to assist teachers and faculty. That way, any time the victims retaliate, the adults will take the bully's side and get the victims in trouble. (This applies to the adult world too, with workplace bullying and such, but that's a different matter.)

animechic420 wrote:
Yeash! Kids these days. For whatever reason, if you don't like someone, just draw a picture of them, crumble it up, then throw it in the trash. Don't write down bad things you want to do to a person. And especially don't go off and create a make-believe notebook that kills your targets.

Or do what I've been doing for the past few years: keep the bad thoughts to yourself. That way nobody gets hurt and you don't end up expelled/suspended/arrested. Smile

Or do like the ancient Egyptians did and draw people you dislike inside your shoes so you can step on their effigies whenever you walk.

Keeping bad thoughts to yourself is not healthy, at least not for everyone. That's pretty much bottling it up inside of you, and eventually, the pressure will become too much and you might explode.

wohdin wrote:
Why is this still happening? Death Note is like 8 years old now, it's no longer relevant. This kid was not even in school when Death Note finished being serialized.

As long as fansubs and whanot are still around, kids will continue to watch it. The story appeals well to those who feel disenfranchised and outcast from the rest of society.

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Instead of blaming an inanimate object again, why don't they look at the kid? The kid probably has some mental problem to begin with if they're keeping a list like this... but no one ever wants to talk about mental illnesses. Oh no, let's blame inanimate objects and fiction instead.

Too much time, too much money. A school must tackle an issue quickly and move on to the next one.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Despite all the media attention and "rah rah" sessions, bullying is still a major problem. The main reason is because many school administrators and staff don't want to truly deal with the issue. They either ignore the problem or punish the victims and bullies equally. Or they fail to protect the victims afterward, in case of revenge attacks.

There's also the issue that traditional ways adults tell children about how to deal with bullies DO NOT WORK (such as talking to them, trying to be friends with them, telling adults about their behavior--especially if the bully in question is liked by the adults). The idea seems to be that bullies pick on other students because they are socially maladjusted and looking for companionship, or that they want to look tough because they think it's cool, and that what children do in front of adults is what they do when no adults are around. (This is in spite of western animation long depicting bullies as acting very differently when teachers, parents, and faculty are in sight.)

I never understood how adults ever came up with these ideas, considering they are rejected by psychologists and psychiatrists at large. Bullying is done for a variety of different reasons, and those reasons are pretty rare. It's as if the adults who suggested these and made PSAs about them were either never bullied as kids, or worse, they were bullies themselves when they were younger and would have never been interested in how to stop bullies.

Another issue is that bullies have the personality traits--proactive, bold and risk-taking, charming and charismatic, and understanding of other people's mental states--that employers like, at least in the United States, and so kids who behave this way tend to grow up to have at least decent-level jobs. If they choose to work in a school, then that puts bullying victims at a disadvantage before anyone even does anything.

Running Wild wrote:
This wouldn't be happening if schools actually did something about bullying. But they obviously don't care.

I was a victim of constant bullying when I was in school as a kid, my only outlet was violent video games like Doom.

They do. They just don't notice.

penguintruth wrote:
"Because it means this kid wants these people to die!" So? Let the kid have an outlet. If you start finding plans for carrying out his revenge, then you can start worrying.

The problem is that the adults forget what it's like to be children. Adults keep civil to each other. Children are ruthless (as much as some adults like to believe children are innocent little angels). Adults also don't have many real outlets, or at least outlets in common use.

Effective outlets, like writing poetry/literature/music, playing video games, and street sports, are not things adults are to be seen doing unless they have a career in such. The only adult outlets I can think of that are in wide use and accepted are working out and drinking alcohol, and the latter has a ton of baggage associated with it. Possibly drawing, but that can get adults in trouble just as kids do if they're too direct about it.

We live in a culture where everyone is scared that their neighbor may be a murderer and will counterattack the slightest perceived threat.

#Foreverfizz8 wrote:
The kid who called his parents while in school is a bit of a pussy, even for a middle schooler. Kids who get bullied on the daily hardly ever even do this... I don't know, I'm just saying.

There's the possibility the kid who called his parents is a bully himself, and this is his technique. I've had classmates who bully by finding kids doing things they know adults don't want them to do, then telling on authority figures in order to get them in trouble.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I've had classmates who bully by finding kids doing things they know adults don't want them to do, then telling on authority figures in order to get them in trouble.

That is so not bullying. Not even close. Bullies are evil kids who prey on the weak, and attack those whose shadow they cannot eclipse.

When you do wrong things, you automatically accept the consequences that such actions could bring if you are caught, even if you had not even thought about it. People are not required to keep your secret wrongdoings or even ignore it. And whether their reasons for exposing you are evil or good, it is not bullying.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I never understood how adults ever came up with these ideas, considering they are rejected by psychologists and psychiatrists at large.

You bring up some good points there. By and large the school system is designed to teach kids, and not to be administrators of justice. So when bullies and their victims are brought forward to them, there is no justice dispensed or after-care to protect the victims from reprisals. The school administrations only goal is to remove the problem in a way that they do not have to be a judge.

I really don't know why our culture thinks that it is perfectly acceptable to let school districts, colleges, and universities be the go to people in cases of rape and assault/bullying. There should be a PSA telling people to go to the real police, make a police report, and MAKE the police actually investigate and file charges. It should be no surprise by now, that schools, colleges, and universities completely fail when it comes to protecting you and going after bullies and other evil stalkers.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
When you do wrong things, you automatically accept the consequences that such actions could bring if you are caught, even if you had not even thought about it. People are not required to keep your secret wrongdoings or even ignore it. And whether their reasons for exposing you are evil or good, it is not bullying.

I don't necessarily mean wrong things, but pretty much anything that they might be ashamed of, or sometimes things that they should not normally be ashamed of, like doodling in your notes, or telling someone in private that you don't like a particular teacher and this kid overhearing it and telling that teacher. That is, things that aren't actually against the rules but that adults don't necessarily like. Sometimes, they exaggerate it too, like if you accidentally bump up against them in the hallway and they tell on you for hitting them.

This kind of kid is particularly dangerous because, by repeatedly informing adults of these things, they become beloved by those adults and something of a fixture to them.

In any case, I am sure that kid who called his parents regarding the Death Note didn't do so out of altruism, but liked seeing other students get in trouble. That, or he's one of those humorless ultra-serious kids who look down on anyone who doesn't take their education as seriously as they do.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I would usually just say it's a harmless way of venting one's frustrations that a lot of middle school kids too (I used to draw pictures of teachers getting killed...) but then again, he did bring a BB gun to school. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5