• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk - Character Discussion -Spoiler Beware-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
MOSTLY SPOILERS! SO NOT USING SPOILER TAGS! (Seeing as many other people haven't either and it's also stated in the title.)

Just based on what a couple of people have said re: Griffith after Guts leaves the band of the hawk...

I've never quite decided whether Griffith had sex with Charlotte just as an attempt to cement his position of power and further his plan or as an emotional reaction to being abandoned by Guts and having his plan ruined. I initially considered it just to be an act to try and save his plan and further ingratiate himself into the royal family, but perhaps I was totally wrong.

As for a favourite character, it would really have to be the whole play between Guts and Griffith in the Golden Age arc, before the apocalypse, because there was a fantastic affection but also undertones of upcoming conflict. (technically not a character, but I thought that whole part was fantastic.)

I've always tended to enjoy fantasy best while 'the going is good' and I love the times when the heroes are succeeding at whatever they are doing, which is why I just loved the characters of Griffiths and Guts during the Golden Age saga.

After the eclipse I guess Guts moves into being my favourite character, although I admire the character of Griffiths for sticking with his dreams and attempting to fulfill them no matter what. Although he is a total bastard about it, at least he doesn't wimp out... Wink
Suzumiya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:

I've always tended to enjoy fantasy best while 'the going is good' and I love the times when the heroes are succeeding at whatever they are doing, which is why I just loved the characters of Griffiths and Guts during the Golden Age saga.

Me too. Seeing how the whole band of the hawks earning honor and learning to care for one another give you such a warm feelings.

I don't really know the reason why Griffith sleep with Charlotte. But I don't think that it was his intention in the first place (base on his face when Charlotte hug him). But who knows. It is one of the thing that puzzle me in Berserk.

Before the Eclipse, I don't see anything evil about Griffith. He, himself, went to war also. He is also risking his life. Death during war is unpreventable. Remember when he went to rescue Guts from Zodd, he asks the troops to retreat without him when he see the situation is getting too dangerous. I don't think he is faking to care about them. He actually care about them.

He only kill Julius and the Queen after he learn that they plan to kill him. Julius's son is meant to marry Charlotte and become king, but Griffith never ask Guts to kill him (Guts end up killing him by accident though).

If he is truly evil, he would lead the Hawks and kill the freaking king and declare himself king. And anyone that have a problem with that, exterminate them all . At that time, there is no match against Band of Hawks.

You can said that he choose the path with least amount of death to his comrades. He choose the most peaceful path to his dreams. He will stick to his dreams no matter what, and he knows that there will be death, but he want to minimize it as much as he can.

Somehow, I cannot hate Griffith. Because I just don't think that he is evil. After the Eclipse, he is still not THAT evil.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
I think spoiler[Charlotte was on whatever "favorites" list that Griffith had, but I also think Guts was on there also. Whether Charlotte was in Griffiths plans to take over Midland is kind of a mystery, but I think that in order to solidify his position in Midland, he would have to have married Charlotte.]
Zetsuei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Suzumiya wrote:
I agree that Femto is Griffith (Femto is the one with wings and Griffith is the one with silver hair)
However, somehow I feel different about them and they act different. Femto rapes Caska (she is only alive because Skull Knight save her), Griffith save Caska from the rocks, Femto called Guts 'a useless human, just a sacrifice', Griffith never said anything mean to Guts (he said he came to see Guts to see if anything move him, but he is free now). Somehow, Femto and Griffith attitude is different (to me at least). I wonder if it is because Griffith have a heart (from the deform demon baby) while Femto don't? Femto is Griffith, but his attitude is different from the Griffith before and after the Eclipse. That being said, it is Griffith who decide to sacrifice his whole comrades for a new start. So Griffith is evil (but still I like him)

The reason I like Guts so much is even unknown to me. He is different from other 'bad-ass' main character such as Naruto, Ichigo (from Bleach), Inuyasha, etc. He is much deeper, yet tragic. His looks when he heard Griffith speech on friendship nearly drive me to tears. His looks just broke your heart, I guess.

I will stop for now.

Griffith is Femto simple as that. People change, they don't stay the way they are forever. Especially if something as traumatic happens as did to Griffith.
You cannot make a clear distincion between normal Griffith and Femto because you ignore what happened to Griffith.
Of course the Griffith everyone talks about was always nice to Guts, simply because Guts was his only real friend. But the start of Griffith's change was not the eclipse, it was Guts leaving him which Griffith probably saw as betrayal.
Winning or not, he needed Guts by his side. Now what really made things go awry was his imprisonment.
That is the major factor that changed Griffith, not the eclipse. He tried to kill Guts and started resenting him already when he got rescued, not when he turned into Femto.
This means by the time he weas offerred to turn into a Godhand he already had become hateful and bitter. He also clang to Caska before becoming Femto because he thought she was the only one who really cared about him.
The eclipse just was a means to an end in order to get things back on track for him.
When he was reborn as Griffith he not only chnaged again because he got closer to his goal and now he had returned to his former self he had a nother cnace to become a human king instead of a demon that had barely anything to do with the human world.

The point is that none of the changes Griffith has gone through were another self or anything in that direction. Femto is no other self or anything but just a phase in which Griffith was forced to stay inside a non human body (which was a hindrance because he wanted to become a king in the human world but as Godhand he couldn't go there).

The irony is that the only reason Guts left in the first place was to be accepted as friend by Griffith which he actually had already become.
It would have been exactly the same if Griffith hadn't turned into Femto but would have just gotten healed at the expense of his former comrades.
Right then he made the decision (even before turning into Femto) to sacrifice everything for his dream and even betray and kill his friends if necessary.
He had been walking a line all the time.

Quote:
I've never quite decided whether Griffith had sex with Charlotte just as an attempt to cement his position of power and further his plan or as an emotional reaction to being abandoned by Guts and having his plan ruined. I initially considered it just to be an act to try and save his plan and further ingratiate himself into the royal family, but perhaps I was totally wrong.

It had probably been his intention from the beginning, there is no easier way to become king than marrying the princess (and most likely killing her father some time later). After all Charlotte would have been the only one left with a legitime claim for the throne and he as her husband would obviously have become the king.
But because of Guts leaving he was confused, irritated and din't know what to do so he rushed things before being of high enough status to ask for her hand.
He didn't even do that but directly went to **** her instead.
That was the worst mistake he ever made.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Zetsuei wrote:
Griffith is Femto simple as that. People change, they don't stay the way they are forever. Especially if something as traumatic happens as did to Griffith.
You cannot make a clear distincion between normal Griffith and Femto because you ignore what happened to Griffith.
Of course the Griffith everyone talks about was always nice to Guts, simply because Guts was his only real friend. But the start of Griffith's change was not the eclipse, it was Guts leaving him which Griffith probably saw as betrayal.
Winning or not, he needed Guts by his side. Now what really made things go awry was his imprisonment.
That is the major factor that changed Griffith, not the eclipse. He tried to kill Guts and started resenting him already when he got rescued, not when he turned into Femto.
This means by the time he weas offerred to turn into a Godhand he already had become hateful and bitter. He also clang to Caska before becoming Femto because he thought she was the only one who really cared about him.
The eclipse just was a means to an end in order to get things back on track for him.
When he was reborn as Griffith he not only chnaged again because he got closer to his goal and now he had returned to his former self he had a nother cnace to become a human king instead of a demon that had barely anything to do with the human world.

The point is that none of the changes Griffith has gone through were another self or anything in that direction. Femto is no other self or anything but just a phase in which Griffith was forced to stay inside a non human body (which was a hindrance because he wanted to become a king in the human world but as Godhand he couldn't go there).

The irony is that the only reason Guts left in the first place was to be accepted as friend by Griffith which he actually had already become.
It would have been exactly the same if Griffith hadn't turned into Femto but would have just gotten healed at the expense of his former comrades.
Right then he made the decision (even before turning into Femto) to sacrifice everything for his dream and even betray and kill his friends if necessary.
He had been walking a line all the time.
It had probably been his intention from the beginning, there is no easier way to become king than marrying the princess (and most likely killing her father some time later). After all Charlotte would have been the only one left with a legitime claim for the throne and he as her husband would obviously have become the king.
But because of Guts leaving he was confused, irritated and din't know what to do so he rushed things before being of high enough status to ask for her hand.
He didn't even do that but directly went to **** her instead.
That was the worst mistake he ever made.

Well put. spoiler[Basically Griffith needed Guts. Not anything like he loved him or anything, but just that there was this certain connection that nobody else could establish with Griffith, and that's why everybody was so jealous of Guts, especially Casca. It must have been Guts' determination to fight to the very end, to test his fate, as fate is always playing with him in not letting him die. Just amazing what one connection can do to people. Griffith had Midland in his hand, but Guts just didn't realize how much Griffith needed him. Had Guts stayed, Griffith would have had Midland, and the Band of the Hawk would not have been sacrificed. I think another thing that aggravated Griffith in his sacrificing everybody is he did see Guts and Casca hugging outside his wagon after they rescued him, and he had to have made connection that there was something going on between them. And now that things are where they are now, Guts has this ultimate hatred towards Griffith now, not only because he sacrificed the Band of the Hawk, but because Griffith raped Casca as well. Yet Guts is why all this has happened. Very ironic.]
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
I know this thread is dead, but since it got put in the Sticky thread, I thought I'd comment here.

Really what I have is a question. I am a huge fan of Berserk. In my opinion it is one of the greatest manga series ever written. The characters and story are deep and tragic, it's action-packed, and truly never leaves you once you have experienced it. However, I work with this guy who I'm trying to convince him that Berserk is a good series. He's read 3 volumes of the manga, and seen the first few eps of the anime (and the very last one). He insists that the only plot elements are sex, demons, and demon sex. No matter how hard I try to convince him that the series is incredible, he says that the only reason it's popular is because it is violent and sexual. He does not see these things as plot elements, but rather as plot hindrances. He says that the first episode of the anime was almost hentai! His reason for not liking the series is because he "saw the story already in Record of Lodoss War". Question Despite my best efforts, he still doesn't like it. He's continuing to read the manga (basically because I'm forcing him to) but fails to see anything but sex and demons.

My question to you is: How can I convince him that Berserk really is a great series beyond the violence and graphic sex.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Have him stop reading the first few volumes-- get him directly to the intro of Griffith and the Band of the Hawk. That's my advice. Skip the earlier stuff-- IMO, it is mostly demons and gore-- the overly frequent demon rape comes after the eclipse, IMO. It's not the best written stuff, and isn't half as complex emotionally as later volumes. If he doesn't like the Griffith/Casca/Band of the Hawk stuff, he's not going to like it.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
I know this thread is dead, but since it got put in the Sticky thread, I thought I'd comment here.

Really what I have is a question. I am a huge fan of Berserk. In my opinion it is one of the greatest manga series ever written. The characters and story are deep and tragic, it's action-packed, and truly never leaves you once you have experienced it. However, I work with this guy who I'm trying to convince him that Berserk is a good series. He's read 3 volumes of the manga, and seen the first few eps of the anime (and the very last one). He insists that the only plot elements are sex, demons, and demon sex. No matter how hard I try to convince him that the series is incredible, he says that the only reason it's popular is because it is violent and sexual. He does not see these things as plot elements, but rather as plot hindrances. He says that the first episode of the anime was almost hentai! His reason for not liking the series is because he "saw the story already in Record of Lodoss War". Question Despite my best efforts, he still doesn't like it. He's continuing to read the manga (basically because I'm forcing him to) but fails to see anything but sex and demons.

My question to you is: How can I convince him that Berserk really is a great series beyond the violence and graphic sex.

The first three volumes are quite poor in comparison with the rest. Have the guy read the Golden Age arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
The first three volumes are quite poor in comparison with the rest. Have the guy read the Golden Age arc.

I keep telling him to just keep reading, but I really think that he just will find flaw no matter what. I think he just started the Golden Age arc, and he still doesn't like it. Plus, he knows spoiler[everyone dies ]since he was stupid and watched the last episode first.

And I didn't really want to make him skip around. Although the first three volumes aren't the best in the series, they are still very important to the things that come later and help establish the characters as they are after the eclipse. Plus it introduces Puck and a few other important characters.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey, to each their own-- if you're trying to introduce a skeptical person to something you like, and you act like a completist, despite the flaws of the earlier volumes that you yourself accept,... well, I don't really know what you expect. Sad

This person is obviously very derisive of the stereotypes of anime in general pop culture-- hentai, sex, rape, and gore. Sadly, Berserk has all those things-- sometimes to a fault, IMO, although I love the series too. There are so many other great manga titles that he might have preferred. I'm sure there are great titles that you don't care for either-- sometimes you just can't fit a square peg into a circular one, you know?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Steve, you may have lost on getting your friend to enjoy the series, if he doesn't like what's in it. I'll admit it myself that I found the series to be on the shocking side and disgusting, but that was before I became a little more open about reading manga. But now I enjoy reading the series, and always look forward to what's new in the series. Maybe give him some time, he might change his mind later.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
That's true, I'm not trying to force it on him, but he enjoys series like Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal, so I don't really understand how the sex and violence is an issue with him. I suppose some people just can't change their minds no matter what. Crying or Very sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
That's true, I'm not trying to force it on him, but he enjoys series like Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal, so I don't really understand how the sex and violence is an issue with him. I suppose some people just can't change their minds no matter what. Crying or Very sad

Maybe because of what kind of things might be in there, such as spoiler[there being a bunch of orgies, animals screwing women, unbelievable amounts of blood, people eating people (in one segment). ]The list goes on and on. So if he has some religious issues with the whole thing, there may be your problem with him.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Maybe because of what kind of things might be in there, such as spoiler[there being a bunch of orgies, animals screwing women, unbelievable amounts of blood, people eating people (in one segment). ]The list goes on and on. So if he has some religious issues with the whole thing, there may be your problem with him.

That's one of the other funny things, he's not religious at all. He just maintains that it's a hentai series with no substance. Rolling Eyes I wonder if he's ever read or seen a real hentai, though.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

That's one of the other funny things, he's not religious at all. He just maintains that it's a hentai series with no substance. Rolling Eyes I wonder if he's ever read or seen a real hentai, though.

Then your friend is an idiot. Ditch him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4