• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk - Character Discussion -Spoiler Beware-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I could list any number of faults with the first few issues of Berserk-- bad art, overly simplistic humor, emotionally uncomplex characters that lack real subtlty, random bouts of absurd, non-plot centered gore, etc etc. I mean, these volumes aren't very good, frankly. The surreal nature of his designs for the apostles, Guts' dream sequences, and the design of the "otherworld" a la MC Escher is what those earlier volumes are good for, IMO. I think the art's better in the 2 other titles you suggested, and perhaps their characterization is a bit more subtle.

Still, if he's reading those and doesn't like Berserk, he's obviously got some sort of specific issue with it. Who know? Can't account for bad taste. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
That's one of the other funny things, he's not religious at all. He just maintains that it's a hentai series with no substance. Rolling Eyes I wonder if he's ever read or seen a real hentai, though.

Then your friend is an idiot. Ditch him.

I'm going to get technical here, because unfortunately for your friend it is not a hentai according to Japanese standards. He probably needs to read the second eclipse arc, that one is really good and then what happens after that too really got my attention.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Then your friend is an idiot. Ditch him.

If only it were so easy. I work with him. Heh.

fighterholic wrote:
I'm going to get technical here, because unfortunately for your friend it is not a hentai according to Japanese standards. He probably needs to read the second eclipse arc, that one is really good and then what happens after that too really got my attention.

I keep telling him it's not hentai. I think he's just a good ol' sheltered southern boy. And actually, I think there's been progress. He finished the first 4 and I asked if he wanted the next volumes, and he said yes! He said it's so he can get out of reading another series a different friend is forcing on him (Cerebus the Aardvark - American comic series), but I think he's just in denial after having told me so many times it was awful. He just doesn't want to admit he likes it now. Wink
Facade19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I am on Chapter 101, and boy.
Talk about when Manga's start messing with your mind.
I feel so bad for Guts.
Crying or Very sad
I hope he kicks Griff;s alter ego's ass real bad.
Just so sad what is happening.
Well you guys can already tell who my fav character is.
Gutz!
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I am up to the latest released chapter and I have to say that Berserk is just excellent. One of the best, if not perhaps, the best story I have ever had the pleasure and privilege to be engaged with.

spoiler[Now I went over the Night of the Eclipse, where Griffith became Femto and after careful consideration I must admit that Griffith/Femto actually did not do anything to Casca that she did not want him to do. This whole idea of Griffith having raped Casca now to me seems very ridiculous. If anything Casca practically wanted to sleep with Griffith. If Guts should be mad at anyone it should be Casca. Even when Guts and the others rescued Griffith, Casca showed emotions towards Griffith. After having rescued Griffith, Casca told Guts to continue his journey on his own, for she wanted to take care of Guts.

Guts should be really pissed at Casca and not Griffith. Casca was not able to make up her stupid mind and deep in her heart she longed for Griffith more than for Guts. At the end Guts should abandon Casca (who I now really dislike), let her go back to Griffith, and just go ahead and ravage whoever he wants to. Griffith did Casca a favor, though I am not implying that I like Griffith anymore, no not at all. But thinking of Casca as the victim here is ludicrous IMO. The only real victim is Guts, who for some odd reason wants to take care of Casca. I bet with you all that once Casca has her memory back, she wants to be with Griffith, remember the Skull Knight telling Guts that Casca might want something different than what he himself wants.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Even if spoiler[Guts were to let Casca go back to Griffith, she would have nowhere to go, because Griffith has his sights set on the Princess. And he rescued her on top of that. Griffith by violating Casca tainted hers and Guts' child to become a demon, to follow them around until when they die or whenever. Guts has every right to be mad at Griffith because Griffith sacrificed the entire Band of the Hawk to bring his kingdom within his grasp. ]
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Right, though Guts never himself considered himself to be fully a member of the Band of the Hawk. Though I see where Guts could be mad is that Griffith used Guts as a sacrifice. That of course I agree is heinous, but my point was directed at the whole Casca issue.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Well yes, spoiler[Casca had always longed for Griffith, but it took the Eclipse to finally get him, but the way it happened was whack. Griffith had never really taken a notice to Casca besides thinking of her as a younger sister. However I guess we can point out that there was that one moment where Guts and Casca kissed that something was going through Griffith's mind. Perhaps he thought that Guts was after Casca.]
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well yes, spoiler[Casca had always longed for Griffith, but it took the Eclipse to finally get him, but the way it happened was whack. Griffith had never really taken a notice to Casca besides thinking of her as a younger sister. However I guess we can point out that there was that one moment where Guts and Casca kissed that something was going through Griffith's mind. Perhaps he thought that Guts was after Casca.]

spoiler[
Yea Griffith looked somewhat surprised and troubled when that happened. But I just hated it how Casca, after talking how much she wants to go with Guts and how she loves him, chose Griffith over Guts. Let us face it. Guts should get rid of Casca (and mind you I know that it is beyond my control, after all it is just ficiion), but still imagining it is satisfying. Remember that an aspect of Guts has that sentiment, has that desire. Casca caused unnecessary trouble for Guts and still does. I understand Griffith, he did afterall say that he will get his kingdom no matter what the cost. So in a sense he warned everyone. ]
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I definitely think Caska really did want to be with Griffith, but she also loved Guts. I think for her it was because Griffith was so far out of her reach that she knew she'd never have a chance with him. But I don't think she just settled for Guts because he was second best, she genuinely loved him. Although, I think Guts still has a right to be upset with Griffith about "raping" Caska during the eclipse. Griffith abused Caska's emotions for both of them to get to Guts. It was Griffith's direct revenge at Guts, regardless of Caska. So, although Caska may have actually wanted Griffith too, he didn't rape her because she "didn't want it," he raped her to hurt Guts. And Caska never even objected. Although it seemed like she didn't really have any idea what was going on, she never said no. She just told Guts not to look, because she knew he'd see through it. Guts chooses to focus on the fact that Griffith raped her, rather than to focus on the fact that Caska actually wanted it that way.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm starting to see where this is going, and it's making a bit of sense. Really no need to go back and reread it, spoiler[that kind of stuff gets implanted into your mind for a while. But you're right, she never said no. But who can say that she was enjoying it in that sense, especially how she almost (actually might have) got raped by the disciples. The whole event itself may have been what was traumatic enough to make her go dumb. It's always been a known fact that she wanted Griffith but couldn't get herself close enough to Griffith like Guts did. Just a whole another level. I think it will be interesting to see how Casca will react when they bring her back from the state that she's in right now.]
Facade19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
spoiler[I definitely think Caska really did want to be with Griffith, but she also loved Guts. I think for her it was because Griffith was so far out of her reach that she knew she'd never have a chance with him. But I don't think she just settled for Guts because he was second best, she genuinely loved him. Although, I think Guts still has a right to be upset with Griffith about "raping" Caska during the eclipse. Griffith abused Caska's emotions for both of them to get to Guts. It was Griffith's direct revenge at Guts, regardless of Caska. So, although Caska may have actually wanted Griffith too, he didn't rape her because she "didn't want it," he raped her to hurt Guts. And Caska never even objected. Although it seemed like she didn't really have any idea what was going on, she never said no. She just told Guts not to look, because she knew he'd see through it. Guts chooses to focus on the fact that Griffith raped her, rather than to focus on the fact that Caska actually wanted it that way.]

spoiler[Well to sum it nicely up, Casca is an adulteress (may I say the W word...).]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Facade19 wrote:
spoiler[Well to sum it nicely up, Casca is an adulteress (may I say the W word...).]

Ehh, spoiler[she's only had sex with Guts (who she lost her virginity to) and then Griffith. I think that hardly qualifies her as a ho.]
Facade19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
spoiler[She promised Guts her love. But then she wants to take care of Griffith and chose him over Guts. That was just wrong. ]
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Facade19 wrote:
spoiler[She promised Guts her love. But then she wants to take care of Griffith and chose him over Guts. That was just wrong. ]

spoiler[It's only because she knew Guts would understand. We don't even know if Guts would have asked her to come with him if Judeau hadn't suggested it. I don't think she's a "whore." I think she was still young and innocent, despite all she had been through. I definitely think that it was the eclipse that drove her crazy. But I definitely don't think she enjoyed it, even though she never said no. I think part of her wanted it, but only part of her was really conscious through the whole thing. And that part is the part that told Guts not to look. And I think that was her true self.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4