Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wacom & Manga University Team Create 'How to Draw Manga' Instructional Video Series




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lemonchest



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 1771
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Now I could be wrong, but I think the drew a face?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_Cyphon_



Joined: 16 Nov 2014
Posts: 996
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
TEACH ME, SENSEI! T^T

Oh wait, that's what she's doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reanimator



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 1324
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Having watched several Wacom manga demo videos via ANN, this is the impression I get:

"With Wacom, you could draw like certain manga artist with ease".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
These tutorials will go very far in helping out aspiring doujinshi artists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
smokeyjoey8



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 89
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched it yet, but I imagine it's fairly similar to this:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
^
Step 2 seems to match the owl's expressionless look. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
manga_university



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Location: Tokyo, Japan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Something the article doesn't mention is that Mosoko Miyatsuki is the pen name of the Saori Takarai, who has authored several English-language books under her given name, including "Manga Moods," "Manga Moods Too," and "Manga Sisters."

Takarai-sensei also recently appeared in an NHK television profile of her and her artwork.

We will be releasing several more videos from this series in the coming weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hameyadea



Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Good tutorial. Digipens & pads are great tools when allow to make adjustments relatively easy compared to the traditional pen/cil & paper, and save the need to buy resources (inks, pencils, papers).

smokeyjoey8 wrote:
I haven't watched it yet, but I imagine it's fairly similar to this:

-img-


One can also work in the backwards order

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mizuki-Takashima



Joined: 10 Sep 2011
Posts: 192
Location: Central Illinois, USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
If Graphic-sha were doing a series of youtube videos I would be ecstatic, but manga university isn't bad! (I'm just glad it's not Chris Hart doing it. I swear he has a monopoly on How 2 Draw books by now)

Truth be told I actually had no idea Manga University was still around. I remember when they used to have a pretend school online for free, you got assigned homework and everything! It was fun!

I can't remember why I didn't get very far though. I think I had trouble getting my homework checked? idk.

Anyway I'll shut up and check out the video now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how effective this would be, but it reminds me of those "How to Draw Anime" and "How to Draw Manga" books that used to flood bookstores and comic book shops in the late 90's.

Man, they annoyed me a lot. Not only were most of them not that good (and not just Chris Hart stuff), they were perpetuating the idea that "anime/manga" is one concrete style. (Not to mention most of the authors, especially if they were western, wrote these books as if they were one concrete style.) Anyone who drew in public a lot would be inevitably asked, "Can you draw anime-style?" Whenever anyone asked me that, I'd follow with, "Which anime?" This would, most of the time, either confuse the speaker or end the conversation outright.

Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
If Graphic-sha were doing a series of youtube videos I would be ecstatic, but manga university isn't bad! (I'm just glad it's not Chris Hart doing it. I swear he has a monopoly on How 2 Draw books by now)


Well, Christopher Hart is genuinely good at doing traditional American comic book artwork (you know, with the superheroes and all that). It seems to be what he was trained for. Unfortunately, he constantly takes jobs for artwork he has no business drawing, but the publishers don't know any better and it becomes the blind leading the blind (and with the aspiring artists being another group of the blind). Another problem is that his how-to-draw books on American comics are some of his less popular ones, despite being pretty good (they open with some basics on figure drawing, for instance, which his other ones lack).

Considering how terrible some of the Hart books were, I'm sure he was just phoning it in most of the time, knowing he'd get just as much money doing that than if he took the time to try to draw it just right. And they sold well (especially the "anime"/"manga" ones), leading me to believe that the readers didn't even know they were bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mizuki-Takashima



Joined: 10 Sep 2011
Posts: 192
Location: Central Illinois, USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm not sure how effective this would be, but it reminds me of those "How to Draw Anime" and "How to Draw Manga" books that used to flood bookstores and comic book shops in the late 90's.

Man, they annoyed me a lot. Not only were most of them not that good (and not just Chris Hart stuff), they were perpetuating the idea that "anime/manga" is one concrete style. (Not to mention most of the authors, especially if they were western, wrote these books as if they were one concrete style.) Anyone who drew in public a lot would be inevitably asked, "Can you draw anime-style?" Whenever anyone asked me that, I'd follow with, "Which anime?" This would, most of the time, either confuse the speaker or end the conversation outright.


Oh gosh, that always bugged me too. I mean, on one hand, I wanted my artwork to have an "authentic" manga look to them, but I also knew that drawing anime/manga is more about "technique" than it is about "style" (because as you said, anime/manga isn't all just one style)

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
If Graphic-sha were doing a series of youtube videos I would be ecstatic, but manga university isn't bad! (I'm just glad it's not Chris Hart doing it. I swear he has a monopoly on How 2 Draw books by now)


Well, Christopher Hart is genuinely good at doing traditional American comic book artwork (you know, with the superheroes and all that). It seems to be what he was trained for. Unfortunately, he constantly takes jobs for artwork he has no business drawing, but the publishers don't know any better and it becomes the blind leading the blind (and with the aspiring artists being another group of the blind). Another problem is that his how-to-draw books on American comics are some of his less popular ones, despite being pretty good (they open with some basics on figure drawing, for instance, which his other ones lack).

Considering how terrible some of the Hart books were, I'm sure he was just phoning it in most of the time, knowing he'd get just as much money doing that than if he took the time to try to draw it just right. And they sold well (especially the "anime"/"manga" ones), leading me to believe that the readers didn't even know they were bad.


Yeah I get that impression from him as well. However, nowadays whenever I walk into a store (usually hobby lobby or even the manga section of some bookstores) every single How 2 Draw book is done by him.

It's also kind of sad because usually the cover is drawn by someone else, spoiler[(someone with more talent)] but most of the inside of the book is just his hastily thrown together drawings.

Even his Superhero type of books don't even look all that good, everything he does looks pretty half-baked and yet he's also supposed to be some authority on the subject?

I know most how 2 draw books aren't great for most budding artists, but at least the graphic-sha books tried to explain that there isn't just one set-in-stone style and even had artists from the industry sharing their tips and such.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
From what I've seen, how-to-draw books have diminished in popularity. Not only am I seeing fewer of them being published and fewer of them in brick-and-mortar stores, but the local used bookstores I've visited recently have a lot of them (and, not coincidentially, lots of how-to-draw-anime/manga books in particular).

Chris Hart gets a lot of commissions to make how-to-draw books simply because he's willing to do them. The artwork inside is shoddy, but really, neither his publishers nor the people the books are aimed at know any better. I know when I was younger and more naïve, artwork that I would now consider good but flawed I considered amazing and breathtaking.

I'm surprised I don't see more artists making these books, considering they don't seem that difficult to put together. I saw a "How to Draw Nintendo" recently that used artwork from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and had its artist pretty much trace the CGI artwork, then break it down into geometric shapes and action lines and rearrange them into a step-by-step order. It won't let you learn how to draw anything but those very specific images, but it seems like a decent amount of money for not a lot of work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
manga_university



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Location: Tokyo, Japan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
If Graphic-sha were doing a series of youtube videos I would be ecstatic, but manga university isn't bad!


Just wanted to clarify that Manga University was Graphic-sha's partner in the publication of several of the English-language edition "How to Draw Manga" books.

Also, Mosoko Miyatsuki (the artist featured in the new videos) has done work for Graphic-sha.

Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group