• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Films' New Trailers Reveal 3D Maneuver Gear in Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#sukkar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Zumie wrote:
The special effects and even some of the acting leave much to be desired. Some of the sequences look real good and others just look.. awful.

I don't know why live action Japanese films have such a hard time with making good special effects. You'd think they'd be awesome but, why are the special effects in most Japanese movies so bad most of the time? You'd think they'd be really great by now, or even on the outset beyond what american movies are but they're not even close. Sad

America has a worldwide market appeal with its cinema that Japan (nor any country) can match. Because of that they're able to pour money into intense CG heavy projects because they know there will be a return and because there are investors from all over the world funding.

In general a lot of anime fans look at Japanese live action from a western ethnocentric mindset and apply their values to an industry that is so totally removed from them. For Japan to be able to do something like this is pretty impressive.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
The 3D Maneuver Gear looks sorta like a Wuxia film.
Chris McFeely

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
The manuever gear has always fallen into the realm of designed-to-be-cool-but-is-actually-suspension-of-disbelief-shatteringly-dumb , so I don't imagine a transition to live action is going to do it any favours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2