• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch Anime to Premiere on Disney XD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Agreed FULL STOP!

Right~!?

I already know they Americanized the names in the game, but I hope the next time something like this comes around, it isn't changed.

I was actually quite proud of the recent Beyblade for not changing their names and keeping the Japanese. It may not have been spoken perfectly, but it was refreshing and nothing was lost!
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Gosh that OP song. Sad It reminds me of 4Kids for some reason, but even 4Kids OPs were pretty good (even if they were infamously bad for some of them...).
I can see it being catch, but the singer sounds ....flat(?).

itachi06103570 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I wonder what sort of edits it'll have. My guess is that it'll be Americanized a la Doraemon.
I personally haven't seen it (doremon) so I can't judge but since yo-kai watch is the next big thing after Pokémon I wonder how it might catch on with the younger viewers much like how Pokémon did back when I was like 6-8 years old. I'd like to see the contrast between then and now.

If Yokai Watch becomes really popular in the States, I believe it will be more of "Bakugan/Beyblade" levels of popularity than "late 90's/early 00's Pokemon or YuGiOh" popularity.

That said, I do hope Yokai Watch becomes a hit here. I am actually looking forward to the games and seeing what this series is all about. Heck, it did basically "de-throne" Pokemon in Japan after all.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the opening was bad! lol The lyrics were just... painful. They weren't flowing at all.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm beating a dead horse but MAN I can't remember the last time I heard a terrible dub opening like that was. If anything I think the only interesting thing about this is it's rise in popularity reaching pokemon level. From the outside I don't really see a whole lot of appeal but I am curious.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
The japanese version of the Pokemon anime is far superior to the dub as it retains all the awesome OST's and music, wheras the dub company makes its own crappy music for it.

TPCI keeps some of the original music (battle themes).
Jex2193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I......No. This song is the worse thing I've heard in a while. I swear it might be worse than some of the 4KIDS openings >_>

I like Doraemon despite the changes, but I fear for this dub. I've been watching the anime fansubbed and it's actually pretty enjoyable, but it has a bunch of parodies I'm sure kids here aren't going to understand at all (*off the top of my head* looking at you Conan, Kamen Rider, and Black Jack parodies/references). They might get the Layton one, but.... Anyway, my point is, they're probably going to be cut out for the most part and most of the plots will be changed. I think Doraemon gave me too much hope.
Mizerous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
4Kids is not the only company to make things Murican hell I would not be surprised if they called this Monster Watch.
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I guess Disney Anime hyper thought Doraemon was lonely. But with this news, Disney Anime hyper probably saw Doraemon as something successful, so now they might open their gates for more anime.

But this dub, UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH. Judging by the intro, I can TELL this will make the Doraemon dub look like it was unaltered (keep in mind, I like the Doraemon dub). And after reading some of the dubbing company's other works, I can definitely say they are no Bang Zoom! Entertainment.

I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for this dub. Maybe it will be like the same way Doraemon came out (you know, when everyone was upset with all of the changes and thought Doraemon was something made by 4Kids, but then everyone accepted and enjoyed the dub after it premiered). But who knows. We'll just have to wait and see it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
...the singer sounds ....flat(?).

"Flat" only describes the half of it. From my perspective, it sounded like the singer isn't even trying. Even flat-sounding songs have some degree of emotion put into them.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
I wish they would stop Americanizing/whitewashing things, especially when it's something like this where the Japanese culture is so infused into the series. Apparently we can handle the themes, but not the actual people or culture. 9n9

because, you know, it would suck for kids in America to have to learn about another country and realize there's other places and cultures.

Yeah, these companies seem to think North American kids are too brainless or uninterested to know what Japan is. The irony is that learning about another culture at a young age is a good thing since they absorb information readily and can build up a good database as they get older. Not to mention, younger age groups are becoming regular anime fans these days. It's not a newly blooming phenomenon for anyone anymore.

The reason given for Doraemon's changes was to be accommodating of American culture, though it does seem overtly silly. For one thing, the changes have been an odd mix of things that clearly shows a lack of consistency. We know about the infamous cross band-aid to garlic pizza change (yes, Japan doesn't given a flip about Christianity, but they were simply going for the "crosses frighten Dracula" angle with that one) and the even more infamous case of Shizuka's doll becoming a notebook for the time capsule episode. (What was the reason for that change again? To avoid her being represented as too girly?)

But other cases such as Nobita's uncle giving him dollars instead of yen and changing the chopsticks to forks and knives is really unnecessary in addition to being somewhat insulting to viewers (I think by now even an eight year old would know what yen and chopsticks are). The simple word alteration of phantom thief becoming a magician was probably an "it's all about morals" concern, since Disney doesn't want to encourage little kids to steal from one another or whatever (though I think it has to do more with the term phantom thief not really being well known here as it is in Japan).

Of course, despite these changes, the English dub's one saving grace is the fantastic voice acting for literally everyone in the show, with Johnny Bosch and Mona Marshall really driving the energy into Nobita and Doraemon's lines respectively. I can tell they're having fun whenever their characters panic and run around screaming (which is all the time really). Brian Beacock, Kaiji Tang and Cassandra Morris are also great in their roles as Suneo, Gian and Shizuka too. And there are times the dub does add some amusing punch to the dialog. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that opening song is terrible, which is made all the more worse by how catchy the original tune is. As for the Americanizations, at least they didn't rename the show "Ghost Watch" like I had feared. It's still pointless to change the character names and setting, of course, though not all blame should go to Disney. the Japanese rights-holders had to sign off on these adaption choices at some point, and might have been the driving force behind many of them for all we know.

Isn't there a point in the series where Keita travels to the United States? I wonder how'll they'll handle that little plot development. Laughing
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I kinda knew that Disney X-D would be the one to air Yo-kai Watch since it seems that Cartoon Network doesn't like anime all that much nowadays. As for the dub's opening theme, I don't think it's all that bad, though it would've been awesome if it was a dubbed version of the first Japanese opening theme.

manapear wrote:
I wish they would stop Americanizing/whitewashing things, especially when it's something like this where the Japanese culture is so infused into the series. Apparently we can handle the themes, but not the actual people or culture. 9n9

because, you know, it would suck for kids in America to have to learn about another country and realize there's other places and cultures.

I agree! I understand them changing the names of most of the Yo-kai since their names are puns on Japanese words, and no American kid would fully understand the puns. But them changing the names of the humans was just completely unnecessary!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
The 11/22/13 Answerman, "Poop on a Platter", actually relates to local-ization aspect. Someone named Michael* asks about what went wrong with the 4kids version of One Piece. This person also pointed out about how Toei did have involvement with cast choices, scripts, and edits.

One explanation that Justin gave was that not many companies cared for a cartoon's artistic integrity and were more concerned about a lot of money to be had.

Justin also mentioned the following:
Quote:
So they did what they could within the pretty awful limitations they had to work with, trying to appeal to the market they HAD to appeal to in order to have a massive, mainstream, Yu-Gi-Oh!-sized hit. The resulting show, aside from not adhering to its origins, just plain sucked. They had to change too much, and the story just didn't hold together anymore, and audiences rejected it.

*This was me who asked that question.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wow, that song was...not very good at all. Those lyrics are really four stages beyond childish. Nonsense singing lines for cartoons were funny in the 90s. Nowadays, rhymes like that for a show's opening would make people cringe, shake their head or just turn the TV off.

Although, fact is, US kids' censors don't want the idea of "ghosts" in a kids' TV show. (Which is why the original Scooby-Doo kept having to pull masks off of fakes at the end.)
Most US kids don't know the classic Yokai out of a GeGeGe no Kitaro episode, let alone the crazy ones from Watch, so the lyrics do a good silly job of explaining they "play tricks", which is as good an explanation as any to start with.

Quote:
The reason given for Doraemon's changes was to be accommodating of American culture, though it does seem overtly silly. For one thing, the changes have been an odd mix of things that clearly shows a lack of consistency. We know about the infamous cross band-aid to garlic pizza change (yes, Japan doesn't given a flip about Christianity, but they were simply going for the "crosses frighten Dracula" angle with that one) and the even more infamous case of Shizuka's doll becoming a notebook for the time capsule episode. (What was the reason for that change again? To avoid her being represented as too girly?)

Shizuka in the Japanese episode wanted to put her doll in the time capsule hoping it would be valuable in a hundred years--
The dub instead had her hoping her diary would become famous in a hundred years. Same ambition, but different.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
If it's on Disney Anime hyper, there's a big chance it'll air here too sooner or later. I hope it does, then I have a reason to turn on the TV Very Happy

Naruto Shippuuden never aired on European DAnime hyper channels, sadly. The original did, to some extent, though... I hate how they either don't reveal the details or simply ignore the bigger market (isn't DAnime hyper a niche channel in US? In several European countries it is - or at least was - bigger than Disney Channel)... considering the only good programming on DAnime hyper is pretty much non-Disney.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3