• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga Finale: Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I love getting manga discussions going, it seems way easier for anime discussions, they just seem to blossom naturally, like weeds [...].

And that is what we weedwackers (erm, that is, moderators) are for. Right now there is this one thread that is particularly thick with weeds right now.....
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Nooooo why do all my favorite columns keep leaving me?!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up Zac, it's always good to hear directly from you guys. I'm looking forward to what's in store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
NG Life-a bit like the comedy version of Please Save My Earth, with modern day Japanese people being reincarnations, this time of people from Pompeii (who died exactly how you think they did). Not everyone remembers their past lives, but the main does, and his former bestie is now a chick and his former fiancé is now a dude (neither of which remember Pompeii). The large side cast, which adds to both the Japan and Pompeii sides, really help the series and make it a damn fun read.

I just finished this series two days ago! (Got it for super cheap in last year's rightstuf sale) I'd also strongly recommend it. It starts off as the pure shojo comedy you'd expect with a plot with gender swaps, but it has it's dark twists and turns and ends up with a much better plot than "lolz, his wife is a boy now". It surprised me, wasn't expecting much out of it, but was holding back tears by the end. Definitely recommend Smile
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I seriously cannot believe that you all are running out of manga to write about. What a weak excuse when what is really happening is a desire to move on to something different. This is unfortunate because House of 1000 Manga is the best column on ANN and one of the nicest and well-written to feature manga I’ve come across in all the years. It gave more awareness to unlicensed or more obscure titles and artists, legal online manga platforms, ero-manga, and issues like censorship. I always remembered to stop by ANN every week on Thrusdays for this column. I’m very disappointed to see the branded manga columns go. There is still a void left from Right Turn Only ending I’ve seen yet to be filled. So the fact columnists are still sticking around to write something and words that there will be “more manga content” is not that comforting. I can only hope the diversity and class of House of 1000 Manga shows up somehow in the future features.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to see this column end. I got so many new manga series to buy from House of 1000 manga. One of the best columns on ANN.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
As more of a manga reader than an anime viewer the thought of this column ending makes me really sad Sad It was amazing to see both good columns of manga I knew and manga I never heard of. The way you talk about things related to the authors and the time and place this titles came out made this trip really, really special.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read 9 out of the 10 in the top 10. The only one I read was Nausicaa, which was one of the first manga I read and indeed changed my life. I still hold it as my favorite work of the manga medium, though I have read few manga so far but I am working on it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
How will I find out about interesting manga I can't/won't read (legally) now?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see this go as it's a favorite column of mime as well. Here's to good manga articles and one offs in the future but I've found out about some interesting series from here.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
My favorite column. It's been quite a ride. Discovered some phenomenal titles through it (including my now all time favorite non-2000AD comic book) and hope a suitable, future column is put in it's place, and I look forward to whatever you and Jason have to write in future.
Shaenon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa-- That's a good list. I wanted to do 2001 Nights but couldn't track down more than a few random issues of the monthly comics version. But I was the editor of Baby & Me for Viz, so I totally could have done that one.

Takehiko Inoue got short shrift in this column, at least from me, because his manga are all so long; I think Real is the shortest, and even that's 12 volumes. There just weren't enough weeks when I had time to get through an entire big series. Jason sort of covered Slam Dunk when he wrote about Raijin Comics, but I did want to do more on Inoue's work, because he's amazing and really underappreciated in the U.S.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people who are sad to see HoTM got the way of the dodo. It really was a great manga column that got me interested in some titles I never heard of before, and I loved seeing titles that I was really fond of, but would normally never see anything talked about them, get written about here. Similar to zawa, here are some of my personal favorite articles from the column:
Monster Collection
Baoh
Iron Wok Jan
Firefighter
Bastard!!
Dodekain
Immortal Rain
Saint Seiya
Baron Gong Battle
Apocalypse Zero
Ultimate Muscle
Yu-Gi-Oh!
The Legend of Koizumi
Pretty Face
Kazuhiko Shimamoto

All of those articles either really resonated with me very well in how Jason or Shaenon wrote about them, & Dodekain's article made me immediately go to eBay & buy every issue of it; it was indeed a fun & amazing read. Still, I agree that the whole "we ran out of manga" reason is kind of a cop-out; I, personally, would have been fine with almost any other excuse. Hell, I could name some titles that I wished heavily would have received the MoTM treatment (though I understand that there are only so many hours in a day for you two to read manga):
B't X (the only other Kurumada manga that ever came over, and in some ways outdoes Seiya)
The Bible (yes, there's a manga adaptation of the Bible... Some of it, at least)
Culdcept (a really good example of how to adapt a video game into a manga, in my opinion)
Gun Blaze West (Nobuhiro Watsuki's personal notes on the production of this title within each volume are almost more interesting than the actual manga itself)
Kikaider 02 (A really cool & stylish reboot of Kikaider from CMX)
Itsuwaribito (I need to catch up in this, but I've really enjoyed what I've read of it, but it seems to have never really hit an audience here)
The Manga de Dokuha! Line (manga adaptations of popular or important literature; we actually got Don Quixote, Moby Dick, Ulysses, & War of the Worlds brought over physically, & JManga did a few more before it went under)
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhhhh Sad I liked this section so much and I learned about so many interesting mangas that I'm sad it's going away. I hope you two still can write more stuff, and here are we hoping more interesting sections about manga. I guess I'll repeat it next week, but thanks for everything!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Shaenon wrote:
classicalzawa-- That's a good list. I wanted to do 2001 Nights but couldn't track down more than a few random issues of the monthly comics version. But I was the editor of Baby & Me for Viz, so I totally could have done that one.

Takehiko Inoue got short shrift in this column, at least from me, because his manga are all so long; I think Real is the shortest, and even that's 12 volumes. There just weren't enough weeks when I had time to get through an entire big series. Jason sort of covered Slam Dunk when he wrote about Raijin Comics, but I did want to do more on Inoue's work, because he's amazing and really underappreciated in the U.S.

I myself only acquired 2001 Nights recently. I saw volume 1 for cheap on eBay and got it. Then I was able to get v2 from half for like $5 so I lucked out there, and got 3 for about $20. So it was one of my pricier ventures, but well worth it. Volume 1 though is the Cadence hardcover, and it was difficult to determine if that was indeed volume 1, but after some google-fu, the eBay pics were able to show me that it was indeed volume 1. 2 and 3 are the softcovers, but sometimes you just have to accept things mismatching on my damn shelves (a pet-peeve of mine).

But yes, shame on you for not doing Baby & Me! Did not know you were the editor (I tend to read the first print run date more than the people involved, but I know you've worked on some damn good manga and that makes me envious! Probably makes up for working on at least some amount of pure garbage. But it's different when I look at Tokypop's credit list because it's always going "See this name? It's here to tarnish the work of good people" whenever I see Stu Levy's name, a problem that does not seem to exist on the credit list for literally any other manga company). I think I just kind of stumbled into Baby & Me, it doesn't look like a particularly good or interesting manga and yet, it so totally totally is. Once I read a few volumes, I simply needed all of it, and now I'm finally lending it to my friend it would seem (when she comes in, she goes on what looks interesting to her first then takes whatever I give her next)

Takehiko Inoue was plenty popular in Japan (according to wikipedia, Slam Dunk is something like the 9th best selling manga of all time, and 5th for just Shonen Jump), but sports manga never do that well over here. Still, I found Real to be the most accessible of his works. Not too sporty, not too based on Japanese legends, the most relatable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3