• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Punch Line

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this is an amusing show tbh. I mean, it's obvious the fan service is there but I don't take it as something inconvenient since it's actually part of the premise.

Humor aside, the series had a flashy way to introduce the first episode. I hope they can develop the story a bit though as there's some potential with the character casts so far. Definitely a funny one for this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kezone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
It's written by the same person who wrote the Zero Escape games, which you should play if you haven't because they're pretty good, mystery games that involves a bunch of psuedo science and plenty of genuinely surprising twists. Because of this, despite the shaky premise, and the mural-like plot, I feel like I can trust the writer to pull this off.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Curious to see how this goes. Shows like this usually aren't my thing, but I loved the hell outta' the Zero Escape games and Ever17. Think I'll hold off on jumping head first into this until we get a better sense of what's what.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Certainly, the premise is so absurd that there's really nothing like it this season, or even in my recent memory. Even if it turns out to be bad, I'll be glad just by knowing that someone is trying to make something like this.

Plus, it's the same writer from the Zero Escape games, which were confusing on their own regard until you reached the climax and put all the pieces together, so I have faith.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
If Punch Line turns out great (and there's a good chance it will, considering the writer, though there's no guarantee), I will laugh at everyone who dismissed it as nothing more than a "worthless, repetitive comedy". Laughing

I've basically committed myself to catching as many details as I can, and I have a few theories of my own already. Nothing conclusive, obviously.

I gotta say however, I adore the ED. The song is adorably catchy, and it's very appealing visually as well. The OP isn't bad either.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
MAPPA has been surprised me for the past few seasons with their original anime. Might as well call them the king of original story anime now! Very Happy
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Uchikoshi's writing is the only reason I'm watching, but episode 2 was exactly the opposite of where I wanted it to go. Very discouraging.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Putting out a crazy theory:

spoiler[The "panty=world destroyed" thing isn't accurate, he simply advances forward in time. The "spirit" inhabiting his body is actually still him, just another time version. The cat is actually evil.]

I will eat my hat if it actually is true. Laughing

I'm enjoying what I see so far. Pretty funny, and will reveal a great plot later on.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Putting out a crazy theory:

spoiler[The "panty=world destroyed" thing isn't accurate, he simply advances forward in time. The "spirit" inhabiting his body is actually still him, just another time version. The cat is actually evil.]

I will eat my hat if it actually is true. Laughing

I'm enjoying what I see so far. Pretty funny, and will reveal a great plot later on.

I'll be honest, I'm expecting something crazier. Razz
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
So far I have found this show to be quite funny and entertaining, but Theron mentioning the character names being puns made me wonder if I could figure out what the puns were. So here is my attempt at that.

Iridatsu Yuuta = yuutai ridatsu. "Yuutai" means "ethereal body", "ridatsu" means "withdrawal", so his name refers to how his spirit and body are separated.

Daihatsu Meika = dai hatsumeika. "Dai" can mean "great" and "hatsumeika" means "inventor", put them together, you get "great inventor".

Hikiotani Ito = hiki ota NEET. This one is pretty self-explanatory, she is a hikikomori otaku NEET.

Chichibu Rabura = chichi burabura. "Chichi" is one way to say "boobs", and "burabura" apparently means "walking aimlessly", so I imagine this is supposed to reflect how she doesn't really know what to do with her life, and also has the largest breasts.

Chiranosuke (the cat) = chira no suke. I found various phrases which use the word "chira" to mean "glimpse/peek", and "sukebe" means "lecher", so basically he is a lecher who peeks.

Unfortunately, I am not really sure what the pun is supposed to be for Narugino Mikatan. Maybe the "mikata" part of her name is supposed to be like in "seigi no mikata" ("ally of justice"), referring to her superhero persona. Or it could be the "nomikata" part of her name, meaning "way of drinking", referring to how said superhero persona is juice-themed. Or I could be completely wrong on both counts. If someone else wants to try to figure her's out I'd be really grateful, since getting through ever other character only to get stuck on her was rather frustrating!
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Jacquipuff wrote:
Unfortunately, I am not really sure what the pun is supposed to be for Narugino Mikatan. Maybe the "mikata" part of her name is supposed to be like in "seigi no mikata" ("ally of justice"), referring to her superhero persona. Or it could be the "nomikata" part of her name, meaning "way of drinking", referring to how said superhero persona is juice-themed. Or I could be completely wrong on both counts. If someone else wants to try to figure her's out I'd be really grateful, since getting through ever other character only to get stuck on her was rather frustrating!
This interview with Uchikoshi shows that you were on the right track with your first guess - it is a play on "seigi no mikata", based on the alternative reading of the character 成 (read as "Naru" in the name, while also having the reading "Sei").
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Jacquipuff wrote:
This interview with Uchikoshi shows that you were on the right track with your first guess - it is a play on "seigi no mikata", based on the alternative reading of the character 成 (read as "Naru" in the name, while also having the reading "Sei").

Ah, I see, so that one is based off the kanji readings. I'm not as good at figuring out the kanji-based puns, so that explains why I couldn't get that one. Thanks for the link, I was afraid I'd be stuck pondering that one forever! Very Happy
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
So far it kind of feels like a point and click adventure game. Something like Ghost Trick, where you observe what's happening and get clues for what to do next from that. I think like all the little events going on in each apartment will add up to something more eventually. If that's the case, then this episode just felt like it was just laying the groundwork for what's to come.

The "general liberal, deflation spiral" song is sooo stuck in my head.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
Yes, but how come not bras? Just panties trigger it... And that random cinnamon tidbit.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Yes, but how come not bras? Just panties trigger it... And that random cinnamon tidbit.
I guess cause Genitals are always censored?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8