• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: Vampire Hunter D Has New Animated Series in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Feeling a bit of trepedation. The original Vampire Hunter D dub is what got me into anime back in the early 90s, and I'm a huge fan of both films and the original novel series.

The fact that Kikuchi and Kawajiri are involved is heartening. I'm hoping against hope that they'll aim for the same aesthetic Amano was going for when he started working on that Deva Zan CGI animation...
sonryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE the VHD novels (almost done reading v22!), and I've always wanted them to animate the novels into movies. If this series will be doing that instead, that's awesome. By cg series though, do they mean entirely cg, or something like the Berserk movies, where there was a lot of cg, but not completely...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
wait...what? did i just read that right? cg?

don't care. moving on.

Last edited by Xristophoros on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
maoyen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the outrage. Bloodlust had a ton of cg, and that movie was great. If they can maintain the same level of artistry, it shouldn't be a problem.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
I don't see the outrage. Bloodlust had a ton of cg, and that movie was great. If they can maintain the same level of artistry, it shouldn't be a problem.

traditional animation with some elements of cg blended in is one thing... an entire production animated in cg is something else entirely. cg is just too slow, jenky and lacking in personality and expression to do vampire hunter d justice. if you saw the recent berserk movies, that should give you a taste of how it might animate (all the reviews point to the shoddy cg animation as being the worst thing about them). cg should only be used sparingly (big crowds or for mechanical objects which are too difficult to animate by hand).
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
sonryu wrote:
I LOVE the VHD novels (almost done reading v22!), and I've always wanted them to animate the novels into movies. If this series will be doing that instead, that's awesome. By cg series though, do they mean entirely cg, or something like the Berserk movies, where there was a lot of cg, but not completely...?

likely to be all cg since it is a given that some cg would be used. it is common practice these days to splice some cg elements with the traditional animation. for them to flat out say it is cg likely means it will be fully animated as cg, similar to knights of sidonia or freedom. of course, i would like to be proven wrong on this.

Last edited by Xristophoros on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sonryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
maoyen wrote:

traditional animation with some elements of cg blended in is one thing... an entire production animated in cg is something else entirely. cg is just too slow, jenky and lacking in personality and expression to do vampire hunter d justice. if you saw the recent berserk movies, that should give you a taste of how it might animate (all the reviews point to the shoddy cg animation as being the worst thing about them). cg should only be used sparingly (big crowds or for mechanical objects which are too difficult to animate by hand).
Then it'll work just fine, you just described D perfectly lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna write this off immediately but I'm not gonna get excited either until I see a trailer indicating this won't look at bad as basically every other anime CG project.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome. And maybe there could be a cameo of Greylancer in it as well.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
maoyen wrote:

There's no reason to think this will be faux 2D CGI like in Berserk. Look at the other stuff the studio has produced. If anything, this will probably look more like something Square Enix's Visual Works studio would produce.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The series' official website is now up, as well as various social media accounts.

http://www.vhdtheseries.com

http://youtu.be/f6-ncWDLyzE

j Talbain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of the CG. However if they actually do more of the books not just the same ones as the two movies there are some amazing stories with some incredible action. I've only read up to book 17 but they are great.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
First I was Very Happy Then I read that it was CG Crying or Very sad
prabb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the minority here but I didn't care for Bloodlust at all (as a standalone or an adaptation of Demon Deathchase) and think the OVA is a superior adaptation. The use of CG, the involvement of the Bloodlust director, and the absence of Amano (but we'll still use his art for promos and thumbnails??) are all huge red flags for me.

Darkside Blues was marketed in the US as "From the Creator of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust!" so that should tell you a bit about Kikuchi adaptations in the west.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm not gonna write this off immediately but I'm not gonna get excited either until I see a trailer indicating this won't look at bad as basically every other anime CG project.

Exact opinion I'm taking. I am very excited after all this time the franchise might finally be getting a tv series. I love the light novels and movies (the original was one of my gateway anime movies) so I am remaining hopeful on this. Too many naysayers ruining the good vibes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3