• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - How To Torpedo Your Own License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Gotta love them spelling differences between proper English and Imperial English. It gets even better when you realize it applies to measurements as well.

It's not difficult -re is a measurement (e.g. centimetre), -er is a device used to measure (e.g. multimeter) .

America, on the other hand, doesn't go for that -re stuff and just talks of centimeters as a measurement. We measure them with rulers.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
It's confectioneries where the real trouble arises. Trust me you don't want to have to get into the whole cookie/biscuit/scone thing...

Do you mean how the UK measures ingredients by weight whereas Americans measure ingredients by volume?
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Buzz201 wrote:
It's confectioneries where the real trouble arises. Trust me you don't want to have to get into the whole cookie/biscuit/scone thing...

Do you mean how the UK measures ingredients by weight whereas Americans measure ingredients by volume?

No, for some reason in the confectionery field the same word can refer to completely different items, depending on whether it's being used in the UK or the US. So the softer item you would call a biscuit, we would call a scone. A biscuit in the UK is a harder item, a bit like the British equivalent to a cookie.
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember that something like this happened in the tabletop RPG industry. Guardians of Order (which is no longer a company that exists), announced that they had gotten the license to do an Ultimate Fan Guide for the Big Eyes, Small Mouth (or BESM for short) tabletop RPG. For those who haven't seen their earlier books, the UFGs were combined RPG sourcebooks and episode guides for the show, with character profiles, episode synopsis, and so on. This is a book that would likely have even greater crossover between RPG players and Anime fans (those who weren't already playing BESM anyway).

However, there was just one problem. Nobody had signed the contract yet - it was just a verbal agreement. This lead to GAINAX pulling out of the deal and the book getting canceled. IIRC there was also a planned Lain sourcebook that also got scuttled because of this, along with the UFG for the second half of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Guardians of Order went under a few years later, as basically the favorable exchange rate between the US Dollar and the Canadian Dollar (GoO was based out of Canada) was the only thing keeping them afloat.

The last thing GoO put out was a third edition of BESM, which ultimately had to be published by White Wolf before they bought out by CCP, which in turn dismantled White Wolf because the proprietors of that company didn't understand the tabletop RPG industry (which they stated publicly), so didn't want to deal with it, instead planning to use White Wolf's IP to make a MMO... which was canceled last year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
It's not difficult -re is a measurement (e.g. centimetre), -er is a device used to measure (e.g. multimeter)
Not at all what I meant. I quite litterally meant that the difference between American terms and other world terms applies to the measurements themselves as well; it's pretty much the reason why Canada went metric: despite the common abuse of the term, the US didn't share Canada's imperial measurements(for instance, the US gallon is 128 ounces while the imperial gallon is 160 ounces).
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You don't think the FCC would ever be unprepared for something?
It's certainly possible, but, placing myself in the feet of a backer waiting on a product already hit by production delays, "they just aren't able to test our superspecialawesome product" sounds like the purest BS straight from the bull. You're basically in the position of the poor lady who genuinely tripped down a flight of stairs and whapped her eye into a doorknob: how the hell do you convince people of that?
Dglenn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
My experience with Japanese companies is to deal with the professionals. I once had a Japanese artist approach me with his project, he trusted me and wanted me to handle the distribution in the states! His work was good but I was clearly not the right person for the job and I told him that I would pass it along and I did! That summer I heard it was to be released and I felt good about it, even though I never herd a world about it outside of the software that he used to make it. That's been my experience in the industry given that I usually deal with the tools of the trade and teach Lightwave, Maya and hopefully adding viral reality to list of subjects to teach soon. I tend to keep everything else at arms length and make my mark in the industry from the aspect of making and improving the software and teaching artists how to use it. I don't what to be a producer!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3