• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga Finale: Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I will join in the farewells, too. Jason, thank you for 5 years of bringing so much manga to light. While I admittedly didn't read every single entry in HoTM, each one I did read was written so well (by both you & Shaenon), with the sheer emotion & feeling the subject delivered being so well described.

On a completely personal level, though, I do have to thank Jason for getting me to start writing about manga. In short, I wondered if Jason would ever cover Ultimate Muscle once Viz released the final volume of the manga. He responded that he wasn't familiar enough to cover it before asking if I'll cover it. In the end I decided to review it because Jason kind of "requested" it, & now I occasionally do review manga. A year later, Shaenon would cover UM herself for MoTM.

So happy sails, Jason!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the years of great analysis and writing. You've given me a lot of series to check out, and i'll be looking for your future features Smile
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Aww, this one ending hits close to home. Thanks to this column I took a dive into Hunter X Hunter - which became my favorite Shonen series - and made me appreciate Dragon Ball the manga for the seismic impact it had in both the Japanese and American industries. When I can, and if they become legally available in English, I'll try and take a gander at Jason's list of favorites. I wonder what he'd think of Shokugeki No Soma, which sounds similar to his Iron Wok Jan except that SNS's author hasn't yet realized how misconceived his female lead is. I love SNS to the point that, like with Jason and IWJ, it actually got me cooking, so I'd be interested in his opinion.

Here's to more manga writing in ANN. If it displays the same level of quality and professionalism that this feature did, I sincerely look forward to it. And best luck to Jason in his future endeavors.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
This was one of my favourite columns. I will always look forward to your and Shannon writing about manga. I hope that the manga coverage on this site doesn't suffer as a result of the column ending. I still miss RTO as well....
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

but I won't be going through my manga shelves (or performing the “hopefully-I-seem-like-a-parent adult man browsing the YA library manga stacks walk of shame”) to find something to write about every week anymore.

Heh, our local library even has a separate room with glass doors and walls with a YA librarian attendant, so it's not like ya can just accidentally wander over there. We could give ya some tips. Laughing

Mine does too, but considering a nice chunk of the manga in the YA section came from the neorune household (Tsubasa, FMA, Cardcaptor Sakura, and a few other titles I can't recall off the top of my head), no one really cares if I peek at what else they have.
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
I've lost count of the number of manga I read because of your column. Thank you for these five years! I wish you the best of luck Smile

Last edited by Cielito_Lindo on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
plague1ftw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
You allways helped me find rare and interesting, but also trashy new mangas. I enjoyed most of them, but I wasn't able to finish Japan Inc. It was on another level of trash I guess Anime hyper

Thank you very much!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame this column is ending so soon. There are tons of interesting manga still out there just waiting to be uncovered like "Crest of the Royal Family,"an interesting gem that could be considered the inspiration for stuff like "Inuyasha." Although the ending of this was very creative,it's still very sad to see it go. I hope someone else will one day reopen the House of 1000 Manga to all those who enjoyed it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:11 am Reply with quote
All things must come to an end, great work I really enjoyed reading your stuff.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Sorry to see this column go. Not only did it introduce me to new things, but it also reminded me at times of manga I needed to finish collecting. I'm really going to miss the banner and title "House of 1000 Manga", because I knew I'd read something interesting or special. Heck I think its a mistake to get rid of the title as its eye-catching and really directs your attention. I would have said just hire more writers to share the load. Well...let me just then say great job and thanks for all your contributions.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to see this column go but do you know who publish Kaoru Mori Emma and A Brides Story and Go Nagi Violence Jack and Devilman in english. Crying or Very sad
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
Sorry to see this column go but do you know who publish Kaoru Mori Emma and A Brides Story and Go Nagi Violence Jack and Devilman in english. Crying or Very sad

Mori's Emma, A Brides Story, Anything and Something are all published by Yen Press in the US. You can find them sold at online retailers like RightStuf, Rakuten and Amazon.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your replay to my question One Eye Very Happy
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Kakukaku Shikajika made it into the list. Your column is the sole reason I checked this manga out (or even learned about it), and it was so worth it – the best manga I've ever read.

Thank you for that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
While I rarely posted in the accompanying threads for the column I always read the column itself. I found it a very informational and helpful tool to help me find several manga series I probably would not have discovered otherwise. So thanks for 5 great years of fun reviews and a great column. Best of luck on future endeavors Smile I know I'll look forward to your occasional articles at ANN in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2