• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds Attack on Titan: Lost Girls Novel, Nichijō, FukuFuku: Kitten Tales Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh god NIchijou, based Vertical. Been wanting it for years!

Reading their release of Tonari no Seki-kun/My Neighbor Seki, which also has a somewhat similar penchant for insanity, I kinda thought Nichijou would be up their alley, but with it being a little while since the hype of the anime, I was starting to lose hope.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Nichijou!! YES!!! and with it being picked up by Vertical it means that it's easy access for me! Thanks Vertical!!! (Now let's talk about an English release for a certain manga that involves cows, spoons and the author of Full Metal Alchemist.)
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:
Sushi Chef Sukiyabashi Jiro (Sukiyabashi Jirō Jun o Nigiru) is an illustrated non-fiction book written by Shinzo Satomi and acclaimed sushi chef Jiro Ono,

Actually, in this case, the kanji '旬' is read as 'shun', rather than 'jun'.
It is a rudimentary piece of knowledge of Japanese.
And 'shun' is a keyword to understand Japanese cuisine.
It is odd that a 'journalist' who wrote an article in which the Sukiyabashi Jirō was mentioned does not even know such a rudimentary term.
Some scholars think that this shun is derived from shun, a ceremony held at the Court where the emperor gave noblemen things which matched with the season.

Shikitei Sanba wrote:
Quote:
古「さやうさ、お前、霜月頃にたべたいと思つても、もはや納豆〱ウの声もしませぬ。イヱ、それについておはなしがある。お江戶に產れた有がたい事には、年中自由が足る。初物は一ばんがけに食ふなり。その外靑物にせよ、魚類にせよ、四季ともに是一種無いといふものがござりませぬ きも「それだから榮耀にほげてさま〲のごたくをつくすだ 古「イヱサ、何なりとも四季に絕ず、扨又、孔方さへ出せば一切用を足す所ゆゑ、お江戶に產れた衆は豆が何時出來る物やら、芋は何時に實の入るものやら、旬をしりませぬ。植つけがいつごろで苅時がいつだといふ事もむちや助さ。おまへ、わたしが先達て去る所へ參つたが、其國は魚がめつさうに下直さネ。此位ある。イヤ、ほんに魚尺は取らぬ物だといふが、何でも引立られねへ程の鰹が三十六文さ。

I don't know whether those ANN staffers that Lynzee Lamb insists are fluent in Japanese have already read through works by Sanba in the original, though.

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Anime News Network wrote:
Sushi Chef Sukiyabashi Jiro (Sukiyabashi Jirō Jun o Nigiru) is an illustrated non-fiction book written by Shinzo Satomi and acclaimed sushi chef Jiro Ono,

Actually, in this case, the kanji '旬' is read as 'shun', rather than 'jun'.

Dai Kanwa Jiten says:
Quote:
【旬】 |邦| しゆん。 (ロ)旬儀(3)の賜物が季節に適つた物であつたことから、野菜・魚鳥等の味の最もよい時期をいふ。

I don't know whether those Anime News Network staffers that Lynzee Lamb insists are fluent in Japanese use Morohashi Daikanwa, though.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2