• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Plans Manga Publishing Relaunch, More Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
How, Did the bankruptcy clear them (him) of debt? He owed at least a million in unpaid fees to publishers.

Depending on the type of company TokyoPop was registered as, he probably didn't owe the debt, the company did, and I think there are some forms of insolvency where as much as possible is paid to creditors and the rest just gets wiped.

It wouldn't surprise me, if the old company has declared bankruptcy if this was legally an entirely new company, set up to look the same and act the same.

This is obviously a very dodgy way of doing things though.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
If it's a C-corporation, they can't go after him for anything(I believe S-corporations have fewer protections). The main difference between chapter 7 and chapter 11 bankruptcy is that the latter is a reorganization while the former is outright liquidation; I'm not aware of either being declared for TokyoPop, so it's likely any debts were settled less dramatically.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
Or, if he's as scummy as some people are saying he is, he may still owe a good deal of money, if not even more than he used to. If he treats his customers, employees, and signed-on artists like dirt, who's to say he doesn't treat his licensors and investors the same way?

Weazul-chan wrote:
and then Stu Levy basically called people who were buying printed manga idiots, basically bashing everyone who had actually been supporting Tokyopop by buying the manga they were publishing.

If it's because Levy was angry that Tokyopop consumers didn't follow him to reality TV and movies, it sounds like he's got a bad case of narcissism. It sounds like he thought he had a cult of personality around him that was buying his manga not because they were fans of manga, but because he was involved in it, and that whatever he moved to, he expected them to move there with him.

phia_one wrote:
The only series they had that I had any interest in was Sgt. Frog.

I tried collecting the manga for Cyborg 009, but it was quite unpopular and I couldn't even come close to getting all of Tokyopop's print run, let alone the whole series.

RestLessone wrote:
I wont buy from Tokyopop. Not unless there is a major overhaul that includes reverting IPs of original property to the creators--especially the series they no longer will continue anyway--and cleaning up the translations. Y'know, like translating the sound effects.

A Hollywood producer once told me that this rights-sitting is par for the course with major Hollywood movie studios. The reason companies like these sit on the rights and won't let them go at any price is to prevent their competitors from getting them. Someone buying the rights from Tokyopop means they intend to publish it somewhere, and publishing it anywhere other than Tokyopop means competition.

They'll only relinquish these rights if it's costing them a significant amount of money to hold on to them. At least in the case of Rising Stars and Manga Pilot, they don't have to pay any royalties, so there's no harm to them on sitting on them, especially if any of these authors, even they wrote total dreck for Tokyopop, turns out to be a future sensation. Then Tokyopop can re-publish these comics with "From the creator of (X)!" without having to pay the author or even ask permission.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
They'll only relinquish these rights if it's costing them a significant amount of money to hold on to them. ...

Well, if we as consumers and fans of manga don't give them any money as long as they sit on those rights you could say it'll cost them.

Unfortunately, that might be too much of a long shot to hope for, even in the niche that manga sits in...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I get the impression Stu Levy is not too interested in the manga business--if there was a major boycott of Tokyopop's manga, he'd most likely just turn to something he's more interested in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8