• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Plans Manga Publishing Relaunch, More Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I honestly had no idea what was going on with Tokyopop during its "finals hours". A lot of this is new to me.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Sounds a lot like what Gaijinworks is doing with games.

Nothing like TP. Gaijinworks was established from the ruins of Working Designs, after the latter's demise.
Working Designs was a legendary game publisher and localizer mainly in the area of Japanese rpgs, probably best remembered for its Lunar titles.
GaijinWorks continues their tradition, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Tokyopop, on the other hand, screwed over their customers, screwed over the quality of their goods, screwed over the contributing creators, and burned any bridge imaginable to their Japanese licensors. Guess what, go back a few pages in this thread, read every post till here, and THEN come back and say they sound alike, if you still think that...

And while we're mentioning Kino no Tabi, do you really want TP to touch it again? After they re-ordered the chapters of the first novel, as already mentioned a couple of pages ago in this thread?
Though I don't think we'll have to worry about that as the Japanese licensor of Kino no Tabi at the time was so angry that that had happened that they pulled any chance TP had of ever licensing the rest of the novels...
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
which is a shame as it was the only light novel series I've ever wanted.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Sooooo fans can look forward to shelling our cash for mistranslated comics and novels again, huh? Fantastic for them... They should just stay dead to be honest.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I just hope Tokyopop's return means that they're seriously committed to publishing manga and that they'll try to finish some of the manga that they've dropped halfway through (not that I'm betting on it).
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Hidden gems not yet noticed... *slides Silver Spoon and Creamy Mami mangas* while that's a great idea why don't they re-release some older manga? I'd like to be able to buy Cardcaptor Sakura, Kodocha, and some of the others I missed out on.

You want Cardcaptor Sakura? Dark Horse already rereleased it.

They also seem to be keeping it in print too. Another print run became available last month.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I can see the ads now . . . "From Tokyopop, the people that brought you Gundam manga with random volumes that had 100% made-up lines because they didn't feel like paying an actual translator!"
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Sounds a lot like what Gaijinworks is doing with games.

Nothing like TP. Gaijinworks was established from the ruins of Working Designs, after the latter's demise.
Working Designs was a legendary game publisher and localizer mainly in the area of Japanese rpgs, probably best remembered for its Lunar titles.
GaijinWorks continues their tradition, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Tokyopop, on the other hand, screwed over their customers, screwed over the quality of their goods, screwed over the contributing creators, and burned any bridge imaginable to their Japanese licensors. Guess what, go back a few pages in this thread, read every post till here, and THEN come back and say they sound alike, if you still think that...

And while we're mentioning Kino no Tabi, do you really want TP to touch it again? After they re-ordered the chapters of the first novel, as already mentioned a couple of pages ago in this thread?
Though I don't think we'll have to worry about that as the Japanese licensor of Kino no Tabi at the time was so angry that that had happened that they pulled any chance TP had of ever licensing the rest of the novels...

...I'm a moron that didn't read the whole thread.

I take back my statement.

It's been so freaking long since Tokyo Pop even existed that I just plain forgot what they even were. (and yet I still remember Working Designs). Screw-up on my part. Yes, I admit I showed ignorance by not reading the thread... I feel ashamed for comparing the two.

I also genuinely did not know that was the reason they suddenly stopped Kino no Tabi. I remember being pissed that they took out a lot of the art and changed the chapter order, but holy crap...

Yeeeaaah I didn't sleep very well last night. I feel dumb.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I honestly had no idea what was going on with Tokyopop during its "finals hours". A lot of this is new to me.

I recall there being an ANNCast a while back where they went over it in a fair bit of detail with one of the ex-employees, and searching around, I'd guess that this is the one (though I'd have to listen to it again to be sure):

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2011-11-03

This one looks like it probably covers some of it as well:

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2011-04-22a

So, if you really want to know, a fair bit of detail can be found there (and probably more accurately than some of what's been said in this thread, since those episodes are obviously much closer to when Tokyopop actually shut down). I recall the interview with the ex-Tokyopop employee also been very informative about how the manga/book industry works, so it may be worth listening to just to learn more even if you don't care oodles about the demise of Tokyopop specifically.
Fyndra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
The only Tokyopop title I followed was Peace Maker Kurogane, but I guess none of the dropped series will be continued even if they will be back in business...

Oh well, I still have a lot of time to improve my German knowledge...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeviousDybbuk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
Please finish publishing Arcana, Tokyopop!
FinalCataclsym

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
If they can release the very last Chibi Vampire AKA Karin light novel, I think I could personally forgive them for all that happened. Why? Chibi Vampire was the first and only manga and light novel I collected for a long time and after the initial cancelling of the light novels part way through, I was crushed. My hopes were renewed as the rest were to be released and even the last one had a release date and could be preordered on RightStuf even. However, Tokyopop closed the door about 3 months before the final light novel got released. Semi related, it pissed me off as much as Bandai outright cancelling the last limited edition Lucky Star. I was never so salty about anime or manga before or since.

So if they at least release the 9th and final light novel of Chibi Vampire, which was a two parter with light novel 8, they will have my forgiveness. I'll hold out hope for now, but I'm not expecting great things at the moment.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
How, Did the bankruptcy clear them (him) of debt? He owed at least a million in unpaid fees to publishers.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
@FinalCataclsym - Ha, I had forgotten they didn't release the final Chibi Vampire novel. I recently bought copies of the whole manga run, but didn't get any of the novels due to it being incomplete.

And, I finished reading the manga today. Sweet ending, and part of it reminds me of Maria the Virgin Witch, what with spoiler[Sophia said to become Karin and Kenta's future daughter] being similar to spoiler[Ezekiel to become that of Maria and Joseph]. Laughing

I read volume 3 of Maria last week. Laughing

Back on the major topic here, trusting TP. It's a strange one for me. Yes, I can totally see why people would discourage others from buying anything from TP...but, for me, if they do manage to grab a series that I want, it will be hard for me not to buy it.

Especially if it does end up being something like The World God Only Knows or Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop needs to stay far far away from manga publishing. I wouldn't trust Stu Levy as far as I can throw him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8