• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Women Rank Their Favorite Romantic Gestures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, "jacket pocket" makes a bit more sense. I wasn't thinking front jeans pocket, but I've seen couples with arms around each other and their hands in each other's back jeans pockets... but still wasn't sure how you'd put someone else's hand there without their cooperation.

Walking hand-in-hand and putting both your hands into a jacket pocket to keep them warm has the "d'awwww..." flavor that most of the rest of the list has.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
What I found more interesting was the fact that manga style drawings were used to report the findings:

Clearly showing how great is the cultural influence of manga in contemporary Japanese society.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
@willag Get your head out of the gutter, my friend. Razz

Seriously tho, we can't really know which pocket they refer to, but I automatically think of the jacket because I have low blood circulation so my hands get super cold and I'll always look for someone (usually a relative, but will settle for a trusted acquaintance if they're smoking because people who smoke tend to have warm hands) to hold my hand/lend me their pocket so my fingers won't freeze off.

Besides, jean pockets are usually small and tight, it's hard enough to fit one hand in them, I can't even fathom how you'd shove two hands in one pocket
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Bit random... but I recognise all the pictures from the two anime and the single manga the article uses... The first picture is from the anime Engaged to the Unidentified. I'm almost 100% positive the second picture is from the manga of Kimagure Orange Road... and the only reason I'm not 100% certain is because I never read the manga. As for the third picture... for the life of me I can't remember which anime this is from even though it looks so familiar. Anyone who can help me out??

And just to add my two cents worth to the topic at hand, I personally do find the 'dramatic' push against the wall to be quite aggressive and overbearing, as I don't like to be so pushy myself.
As for the pat on the head, I'm neutral to the gesture, but I'm not overly fond of people patting me on the head, as I personally associate it to being patronising or condescending (already mentioned at length). Also, I think someone mentioned that it can be likened to petting and/or patting a dog... That being said, I believe there are appropriate times or situations where it fits perfectly... that's why I feel like I'm neutral to the hand of the head. I'm much more partial to ruffling someones hair. I do it to be cheeky mostly, but I also use it as a form of affection (although most of my friends don't realise this).
Beyond a doubt, the hug from behind gesture is my favourite. I find it really romantic and have used it in the past to show affection... Although... admittedly it isn't something I use often or with just anyone. Quite unfortunate, really.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:

Bit random... but I recognise all the pictures from the two anime and the single manga the article uses... The first picture is from the anime Engaged to the Unidentified. I'm almost 100% positive the second picture is from the manga of Kimagure Orange Road...

It's Maison Ikkoku; that's Kyoko and Godai.

An1fr3ak wrote:

As for the third picture... for the life of me I can't remember which anime this is from even though it looks so familiar. Anyone who can help me out??

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji (Wolf Girl and Black Prince)

Lotta romantics here
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
An1fr3ak wrote:

Bit random... but I recognise all the pictures from the two anime and the single manga the article uses... The first picture is from the anime Engaged to the Unidentified. I'm almost 100% positive the second picture is from the manga of Kimagure Orange Road...

It's Maison Ikkoku; that's Kyoko and Godai.

An1fr3ak wrote:

As for the third picture... for the life of me I can't remember which anime this is from even though it looks so familiar. Anyone who can help me out??

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji (Wolf Girl and Black Prince)

Lotta romantics here

Thanks for that. I'm a bit surprised though. I've never watched or read Maison Ikkoku, but for me the character designs really do look similar. Maybe that's because I'm not familiar enough with the anime of that time period.
On a side note, that picture of Engaged to the Unidentified really messed me up. I just powered through all twelve episodes. Did seeing those pictures do that to anyone else??? Or is that just me??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4