• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled's 5th Episode Delayed to February

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
this is how it starts a small delay, then another then another them bam its been a year. Not the least bit surprised i only hope the quality is worth it
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
this is how it starts a small delay, then another then another them bam its been a year. Not the least bit surprised i only hope the quality is worth it

If you ask me, it's very likely the fifth episode won't be delayed again after this change.

Why? Because there's actually been a certain pattern to their announcements.

Whenever the release date has only been mentioned as a season (spring, fall, winter), without a specific official date, they have always ended up delaying the next part of Akito.

But after a specific premiere date is finally announced, including the day and the month, they seem to be able to meet it. Part 3 was in theaters on May 2nd and Part 4 just came out on July 4th. Those specific dates were announced last year and Sunrise was in fact capable of meeting them.

Which is why it's worth assuming that the fifth episode will in fact come out on February 6, 2016 after all. We still won't get any translation for the episode at that point, but the Japanese audience should be able to see it.
Asakura-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah, cant believe its almost a decade since code geass s1...back in 2006, when thing were not as bad as today and interesting ambitious anime still popped up..good old times.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea has a point. He can´t be dead or the "original" ending wouldn´t exist and it would also create a clear ending for the most marketable aspect of the show.
Mr. director is obviously coy about what happened in the 2 versions of the last shot (if they can be called that) to keep the conversation going. Let's call him Schrödinger´s cart driver and move on till R3 (probaby an OVA as too much time passed) comes out but i am 100% out as Wakamoto already got to play the human rocket Rolling Eyes. How can they top that and i am not even sure if i can put season 1 e.1-23 in a top 25 of Sunrise´s best products. The glory days were "good" but nothing more. Table-kun. WFT? (R2´s Rolo was unwatchable too.)

I hope that the new LOGH will stand up to the original OVA to show the modern anime community how a tactician protagonist needs to look like. The show should team up with Pizza Hut too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
He can´t be dead or the "original" ending wouldn´t exist and it would also create a clear ending for the most marketable aspect of the show.

This is a rather strange argument. One thing does not need to affect the other, since he doesn't stop being marketable either way. In the case of multiple other popular characters in anime, their ultimate canonical fate has little or no visible impact on their inherent marketing value.

See the Fate property for an example that's both older and newer at the same time (given its VN origins). Many of the popular characters are already dead after the events of Zero and F/SN (including UBW) but they will keep showing up in merchandising and licensing indefinitely. That's not an obstacle.

Quote:
Mr. director is obviously coy about what happened in the 2 versions of the last shot (if they can be called that) to keep the conversation going.

I think you have it backwards, but let me get straight to the point of your implication: there's no "two versions" beyond extremely gullible people being fooled by a random sloppy Youtube fan edit and carelessly spreading it. There's just one ending with a degree of ambiguity. And that's fine. It's not the first instance and certainly far from the last time this will happen in fiction or entertainment.

The Schrödinger reference is cute, though you're far from the first to use it. I'd say the fact such a thing as "R3" hasn't been created in almost ten years does tend to weaken some of your cavalier assumptions.

Quote:

I hope that the new LOGH will stand up to the original OVA to show the modern anime community how a tactician protagonist needs to look like.

How about comparing Reinhard to Char? Or Yang to Amuro Ray? Rolling Eyes

I love LOGH myself, but this is a very misleading dilemma. Each protagonist (although LOGH tends to split that role into two or three characters) is a good match for the needs of their respective fictional universes. It would seem asinine to suggest there's only one valid characterization that should be universally applied to this archetype.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
Let´s clear this up: Do 2 cuts of the epilogue of R2 ep.25 exist as i remember watching the “Youtube Cut” as the original broadcast. Is my brain broken?
If version 1 exists then the possibility of a death could never have been on the writers mind and i will 100% rule it out. If not then i will choose to go back to a “can´t be answered” stance as the team gave more conflicting interviews then a lawyer.
We never got a true corpse which is common comic book curtesy and there is a lot of weird stuff in ep.25 too. I wish him dead though.

If a creator actually cares to end a character or a story then they need to leave a void but even Akito is using him in promotional material to such a degree that a friend who didn’t know about the OVA randomly saw an ad a few weeks ago and then asked me what season 3 is all about. This is some sly marketing. Well done!
If the creators further had artistic integrity then all the manga, the Alice in Wonderland OVA, the PLOT filled “dramas” and a second season that decided to go for a different demographic by throwing out even the script for the ending of season 1 wouldn´t exist. How many ret-cons did R2 have again on top of that? The anime will irritate me till the day i die but i can only repeat that my interest in R3 doesn´t exists. I would have watched something new in the Geass setting but Akito was everything but so i tossed it after 2 full episodes and what i saw of ep 3 were just more retreads so i feel vindicated. At least ep 2 had some rather lazy animation too so i wonder what the situation behind the scenes is. The OVA feels like a vanity project as such a long time in production can´t be cheap but it makes 20k and Bamco wound never have whipped out a 5th episode. I would watch a documentary based on the production of the franchisebut rewriting the last act didn’t work last time though so i am not falling for the same trap again. I won´t be fooled trice!

What i liked about Lulu or the show were the parts where the team committed to having a borderline villain protagonist who reveled in murder and not him as an Ecchi-Harem comedy lead or a misunderstood school boy crying for mommy Rolling Eyes. (Only Batman can do that.)
Dat cat episode will never be forgotten but his bro Spinzaku was a quality character all the time. Where is his anime? Death Note / Akumetsu or LOGH / Zeta had a tone and went from plot point to plot Point and then ended. Ok maybe not Zeta. Geass though gave me a psychotic lesbian school girl who invented the atom bomb at age 17 to kill millions with none caring about it days later. Did i secretly watch a 24 anime? I did chuckle though (at mass murder i might add) and wasn´t it awesome that the writers based plot point on memes. Lol but Orange-kun was the best so it wasn´t always bad. Where is his anime?

S1 is “good” in a B- sort of way. R2 is at least “fun”. Akito though has no identity and let´s not start with the many manga. Some are even ongoing and one is set in feudal Japan. Words fail me. I would have finished Akito btw. if i actually reached the half way point after ep.2 but it was pull away from me so i had to stop as a 6th bonus one for the Blue Ray wouldn´t surprise me anymore. Or the usual Sunrise re-cut for the whole mess when they go on to promote R3.

So see you for the announcement of the R3 movie or OVA next year when the last frame of the cinema broadcast of Akito 5 will announce it. You read it here first and it will come out in 2021 to celebrate the 15 anniversary to then be delayed... Cool
Emperor Wakamoto bless you Code Trainwreck and never change (not even i hate it) but stop raping innocent furniture that is used for eating.
The LOGH reboot and the new Gundam better be good. Please Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
I think it would be silly to have an R3, because that story is finished. It has nothing to do with people pretending he's alive, it's just a story that's finished. Turn 25.01 and Miraculous Birthday are all the sequel we need (yes, they're sentimental fluff. What, you thought this series wasn't sentimental?)

I think they need to make more, but it should be an alternate scenario. And the original writer and director have to be involved.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Let´s clear this up: Do 2 cuts of the epilogue of R2 ep.25 exist as i remember watching the “Youtube Cut” as the original broadcast. Is my brain broken?

As I've already mentioned, that doesn't exist. The "Youtube cut" as you call it is completely fake. That is nothing more than a fraudulent alteration done by third parties wth obvious signs of sloppy video editing. Rather than deal with your brain as a whole, I'd just dismiss the quality of your eyesight and memory.

The fact is you will not find multiple versions of the scene in any Japanese or international release, nor in any original broadcast raw or foreign language fansub of the same made back in 2008.

Quote:
If a creator actually cares to end a character or a story then they need to leave a void but even Akito is using him in promotional material to such a degree that a friend who didn’t know about the OVA randomly saw an ad a few weeks ago and then asked me what season 3 is all about. This is some sly marketing. Well done!

This is pure hyperbole on your part. The character was only prominently featured in promotional material for Akito 3, which is where his role was concentrated and essentially came to an end, but he is not in any of the promotional videos for Akito 4. Nor does he do anything during the actual episode.

Rather than calling it "sly marketing" that just tells me your friend doesn't have any idea about when Akito takes place or what is happening in it. This is just as foolish as someone randomly watching an ad for F/SN Unlimited Blade Works and then concluding that there must be a 6th Grail War coming up.

Quote:
If the creators further had artistic integrity then all the manga, the Alice in Wonderland OVA, the PLOT filled “dramas” and a second season that decided to go for a different demographic by throwing out even the script for the ending of season 1 wouldn´t exist

Going by your rather heavy-handed reasoning, then absolutely no entertainment property with any kind of media spin-offs, bonus materials or even a shred of fanservice has any "artistic integrity" at all.

If combining different types of content is somehow a bad thing, then you must hate Gunbuster for having lots of nudity, general fanservice and early comedic antics right next to materials dealing with tragedy, melodrama, death and speculative science fiction.

Which wouldn't be worth worrying about, since elements of absurdity, silliness, drama, darkness and more can and will always continue to be combined in this industry. Plenty of other shows have done that.

I'd also argue you're misinformed about what did or didn't change about either season, to say nothing of the circumstances involved. Simply put, the staff never intended the show to end there so any premature conclusion wouldn't have meant anything other than cancellation.

Quote:
I would have watched something new in the Geass setting but Akito was everything but so i tossed it after 2 full episodes and what i saw of ep 3 were just more retreads so i feel vindicated.

Not much of an argument since there are many differences between Akito and the original TV show. Based on your lack of analysis and shortage of specifics, it doesn't sound like you have paid attention to Akito in order for your wide sweeping generalizations and vague rejections to have any merit behind them.

The rest of your post is rather confused and scatterbrained, mixing so many questionable opinions with mostly inaccurate statements that I don't know where to even start addressing it. Which is a sign that I probably shouldn't continue to do so.

But, if it makes you happy, keep randomly speculating about "R3" even in the absence of any objective evidence for its existence, year after year. Razz
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I looked at the dvd of R2 and firstly remembered how silly the show was as M̶a̶r̶i̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶g̶d̶a̶l̶e̶n̶a̶ Nunnally´s chair looks like a teacup and Kallen went back to high school after years of serial murder. Rolling Eyes and the ending was the one i watched in 08. spoiler[CC is relaxing in the hay while a male is driving the cart who is revealed to have Lulu´s haircut (!) during a pen up shot to her. Case closed but let´s go on. Then she starts talking about how the code won´t make one the loneliest person (how big was his harem?) and addresses Lulu as the camera then focuses on Lulu´s origami crane she "happens to have" that his sisters gave him. Credits roll. I would still call him probably alive without the crane but the focus on the crane and her attitude confirms on screen that he is alive. Let´s not even start that an immortality power is set up for him amongst other things during the last act. He may also have amnesia but who knows. Taniguchi said that Lelouch vi A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶ Britannia is dead and i agree. The same way Bruce dies in Dark Knight Rises/Returns or Arkham Knight. The function if that "mask" has ended and Quattro Bajeena can now star in R3. It would be out of character to blindly leave his empire/lives work (at age 18) and sister in the hands of unproven too.]
A sequel writes itself and the profit business Sunrise has been running into problems for years. What should they resurrect? Hime? The Byston Well? Air 3 struggling Gundam shows at the same time? DC couldn't leave Watchmen alone, Bambi 2 was released 64 years after the original, Godfather 3 by the same team is a thing and Akito with Lulu in it successfully proved that the market wants more so see you next February and i can only repeat that i would prefer him and the franchise to have ended in a grave in 08. Jurassic Park´s Ian Malcolm even died btw. and came back in the sequel book by the same author because money.

Ridley Scott did it right with his "word of god" regarding the ending of Blade Runner years ago as he inserted the Unicorn sequence into the film but i would need a re-cut of R2 on my hands to even listen to Taniguchi even if he is a clever guy. Rile the fans up with a mystery and they will keep the show alive for years. Even i fell into his trap after not thinking about the show since December 2013 Crying or Very sad . Yo jroa: He is in both the advertisements to ep.2/3 and the show so expect the Poochie of the franchise to be in the grand finally in ep.5 also. None of the fan names are by me too and i forgot to make fun of the fact that Geass further had ghost, aliens and a "Thought Elevator". Current me would have stopped with R2 after the episode that re-made a good one from S1 to then kill the most needless main character to prove how cool the the new kid Rolo aka. Scrappy-Doo is. I lastly consider SEED and Geass to be the same thing in my mind and both won 3 (!) Anime Grand Prix but i found Destiny funnier than R2. It will come back too...
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Kallen went back to high school after years of serial murder. Rolling Eyes

"Years of serial murder"...?

At this point you're just pulling stuff out of nowhere for kicks and giggles.

Quote:

and the ending was the one i watched in 08.

Unfortunately, you're still wrong. Considering your description below does not objectively match the actual footage or dialogue and is an extremely liberal representation, I really must roll my eyes at your overactive imagination.

Also, don't put words in Taniguchi's mouth. It doesn't make you look good.

Quote:

A sequel writes itself and the profit business Sunrise has been running into problems for years.

Like I said before, you're free to keep thinking there's a sequel just around the corner.

Too bad that reality hasn't remotely agreed with you so far.

Quote:
Yo jroa: He is in both the advertisements to ep.2/3 and the show so expect the Poochie of the franchise to be in the grand finally in ep.5 also.

Nope. He only showed up in post-premiere videos, after the second chapter was already publicly available. More importantly, anyone who has seen Parts 3 and 4 should be able to tell you the character's role is already done by now. He came in during Part 2 and then tried to have his way during Part 3 but failed. Part 4 literally has nothing other than a cameo of him.

Honestly, I don't even think you know what "Poochie" was supposed to represent. There should be fines for misusing terms in such a careless manner.

Quote:
I lastly consider SEED and Geass to be the same thing in my mind

Which just further proves that your mind is not willing to have a serious discussion. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2