• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress Shannon Burgess Found Dead After Reported Missing in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
...the couple was separated and still living together...

I don't understand.

Probably the starting paragraph of this article explains it.

It actually isn't that uncommon. As part of my practice as an attorney, I handle some divorces and oftentimes the two people will still live in the same home. Where I live, finding a decent place to live usually means buying a house, which is pretty difficult to finance when undergoing a divorce.
Shinraisei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
It took the cops seven months to search her house?

It seems she was reported missing, so they probably didn't think she wad dead at first. And she was buried in the ground so they could have gone over the house and not known at first. Obviously, there are a lot of details that are not filled in.

I'm not familiar with her work but this is a sad story. I am sorry for her family.

At the beginning of the case, he claimed he hadn't heard from her at around the same time her parents and brother hadn't either, iirc. It sounded fine at the time and police looked into her last whereabouts and searched there instead (which were reported as being on the road I think), though I'm sure CPS kept tabs on him for any suspicious behaviour.

According to a number of articles, it's only very recently that they had reason to believe it was no longer a missing person case, but homicide, and they obtained a warrant.

I actually knew of her via several mutual friends from high school; I knew she was an actress, but this is the first time I'm seeing she had anime dubbing to her credits. It's extremely saddening that this happened to her...RIP
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
One of the quotes from the article mentions "bumps in the road". Uh... bumps in the road usually don't lead to someone getting murdered. There had to have been something more going on, if only in the head of the husband. That sure wasn't "bumps in the road".

Hey, there can be people who can turn "bumps in the road" into death. Some people cannot take unexpected setbacks well at all, especially if they're confronted that they're in the wrong.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. you need a body or some sort of evidence for probable cause to get a search warrant.

Just being missing is not enough.

The evil husband probable played this as missing person case, until the police were able to gather enough evidence for a search warrant.

Yeah, I was thinking that this was likely the reason it took so long--her husband still lived in that house during those seven months and knew police was looking for her.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
This is horrible. I wasn't familiar with her before this happened, but it really does break my heart. I did check out her YouTube channel, and based on the monologue and interview I saw, she was a very smart, funny, and talented individual passionate about her craft. It's always awful to see people go way before their time, especially in a way so vile and horrible. Hope her husband is brought to justice and gets life.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hey, there can be people who can turn "bumps in the road" into death. Some people cannot take unexpected setbacks well at all, especially if they're confronted that they're in the wrong.

We will never know whatever arguments they had, but it is feasible that the husband was in the right on said arguments but resorted to domestic violence in said stressful situations, which is the real culprit IMO, violence is not the right answer since it can escalate with this kind of irreversible consequences, human life is kind of fragile and sometimes a single bow can put an end to it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

We will never know whatever arguments they had, but it is feasible that the husband was in the right on said arguments but resorted to domestic violence in said stressful situations, which is the real culprit IMO, violence is not the right answer since it can escalate with this kind of irreversible consequences, human life is kind of fragile and sometimes a single bow can put an end to it.

It is called being evil. Doesn't matter whether the husband was right or wrong in the argument. Good people don't murder other people over arguments or other non-violent actions. Evil people do, because they believe they have the innate right to take the lives of others for their own selfish reasons.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is called being evil. Doesn't matter whether the husband was right or wrong in the argument. Good people don't murder other people over arguments or other non-violent actions. Evil people do, because they believe they have the innate right to take the lives of others for their own selfish reasons.

Evil is a black or white term made by humans. The simple truth is that we are animals with big brains. So if in the heat of the discussion things go south so badly that an instinctive fight or flight response is triggered and said person goes for fight, animals fight to kill, not no incapacitate. That is why cooler heads know that to start a fight you need two and rather flee even if called cowards by the other.

Thinking only "evil persons" do bad thing might be the reason this kind of incidents happen, some people think they are above such savagery until proven wrong.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
So...he buried the body under the house or something, eesh.

definitely not the brightest apple under the tree. its like announcing to the police "hello there. i'm responsible and is as guilty as sin". while there could be a small five percent that he's innocent, this is probably his nail in the coffin if it turns out its true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Not quite--burying the body near where you live is an efficient way to keep watch over it. I would bet he acted to subtly hinder the police (such as him helping Shannon's relatives in letting the police know about the missing persons case, which would throw the police off the trail and clear him of suspicion for a while).

It's a riskier move than burying the body out in a forest in the middle of nowhere. While it'd take longer to find the body like that, if they find it at all, the husband would look way more suspicious, unlike with this where he'd look like a concerned party.

Where he was not so bright was that the police somehow figured out that the body would be at his house. It's pure speculation on my part, but I would guess neighbors saw him acting weird, or police discovered something when searching his house that suggested the body was buried and could not be far.

This all said, I am definitely not admiring the husband for killing Shannon; rather, it is the opposite, as I believe he did something horrific and continued to behave horrifically and remorselessly in the following months. If there's anyone I'm applauding, it's the police, who figured everything out, meaning this man has no way out now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4