• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Manga Confirmed to Resume as Monthly Series This Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
This is definitely one of those announcements where people should stay calm and wait to see it before they believe it.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
Some people here think that Berserk was previously releasing in a weekly schedule. It wasn't!

The magazine it runs on isn't even weekly either. Young Animal, the magazine that runs Berserk, is Bimonthly and runs every 2nd and 4th Friday of a month.

Berserk Schedule for a long time is a strange one.
Miura does the chapters at his own pace, without thinking in the magazine schedule. When the editor thinks enough material is gathered(instead of taking every chapter already done), starts releasing the already complete chapters in a magazine regular schedule.
Normally 3-2 chapters are gathered before starting a release phase in the magazine.

Example:
- 1st release phase -> 2 chapters
- Miura takes 9 issues(1st release phase + 7 issues) to do the next batch
- 2nd release phase -> 3 chapters
- Miura takes 8 issues(2nd release phase + 5 issues) to do the next batch
- 3rd release phase -> 2 chapters
- Miura takes 5 issues(3rd release phase + 3 issues) to do the next batch
- 4th release phase -> 1 chapter(Miura started an hiatus)

Now with the monthly schedule he can't do things in his pace, and it will need to do chapters around 3-2 times faster than what he was doing before.
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I have been reading since 2006 (and also started with the manga with no spoilers) but i knew of the series existence earlier on. Who can top me as i know of fans who started in the 90s.

I started to read Berserk since 2002 after I won the first 15 german volumes in a contest and continued to buy the regular volumes in german and japanese over the years up till volume 30 in 2006 and 31-32 as a combilation in 2009. The story started to drag and became too much rpg style high fantasy since the mid-20 something volumes, that's why I lost interest in it, especially since the whole arc whith the boat started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Hell to the yes! More Berserk is always welcome! Hope we get to see Guts and crew this time. Been spending too much time in Falconia.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
@Swissman My darling is the Millennium Falcon arc (it made Slan my favorite character after Guts and Miura promised something with the Godhand in the future) so i love Gut´s Bat-family and hope that Isma sticks around. I further love the switch to a high fantasy focus and we had low, "historical" and then dark before. I will admit that the opening few pages of Vol.1 are out of character trash and a bad introduction, Vol.2 has sloppy art as he was doing 2 manga at the same time, the end of the Golden Age arc has one rape on Casca too many, Serpico is now underused and i could have used 1 or 2 chapter less of the pirates. (The movies suck but that was 4°C.) That is all my real criticism for my favorite manga/comic. The lack of nipple´s for the men and a few too many pretty young blond women in a setting of malnourish and war is unfortunate but Miura also needs to sells his product so i can accept a degree of sexism in the art as his women are top notch otherwise. (Ice and Fire struggles here a bit.) I also never had a problem with any of the breaks as true art takes time. I just wish that they were scheduled to a degree. HxH´s schedule is also fine. Especially if i consider the health state of the author as J nearly broke him in the 90s.

Miura stated that Berserk is supposed to run about 50 volumes over @skullknigth so don´t get to excited gang as this will still take a decade or more. Regarding the breaks: Sakamoto Shinichi (Innocent) is the only manga artist who is (way) faster than Miura while keeping a similar level of detail and Mori Kaoru (A Bride's Story) is equality gifted but she draws slower than Miura. Inoue Takehiko (Real) for example is crazy good too but he uses less detailed backgrounds or skips them and slowed down too when the details increased. My favorite artist is Frank Quitely and he works like a snail but this year´s Pax Americana which was 7 years in the making (he did other stuff too) may be the most finely crafter comic i ever saw. Some of the best Bande dessinée artists need one year to draw an album of about 50 (colored) pages so none of you who don´t read European know what slow looks like. Most A-level Mangaka are also famous for working all years and then 6 to 7 days a week so i don´t even kown what "fans" want sometime.

I stated before that Miura does about 1 page per day (he uses 3 assistant) and the math only broke down last October. Now i know why. The new schedule can only last till he finishes the major narrative beat he wants to reach (or get´s sick) to then go back and plot for a while but YA called Berserk a "irregulary published" work for a decade so his editor proclaiming it now after 8 months off is very big to me. Miura can be called a deteriorating writer all day long but calling him slow or lazy empirically incorrect.

Fun fact: Mori Kouji (Suicide Island) and Umino Chica (Honey & Clover) are story consultant on Berserk and help Miura with the female characters. Both are favorites of mine too and Challenging the Manga Dojos explains his work process so have a look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd be much more excited if I thought that there was a decent chance that this would remain on schedule for a while. Miura's record of going hiatus for frequent, lengthy stints leaves me skeptical as to how long this will last.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
@residentgrigo

Nice to see someone who likes Guts new band, maybe it's just me but a lot of people I talk to about it, don't like them. I think it is something to do with the switch from mostly young battle hardened men to a; young women, a young man, a little boy, a little girl and 2 flying bugs as Guts would call them..
maoyen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Miura: Oh boy, I can't wait to get back to work! I have so many great ideas.

*new IdolMaster game announced at TGS*
*back on hiatus*
DarkFusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
DarkFusion wrote:
Been a while since I've read Berserk so to determine if I should bother catching up please someone answer this simple yes or no question: have Gutts and co. gotten of that boat yet?

spoiler[NO.]

Thanks, I'll check back when Winds of Winter comes out Laughing
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Experience should have taught a good number of us by now that just because they've announced it is coming back that it is not a definite run. Looking at HxH should tell you that. It's great that there is at least some news of it returning, like with D. Gray Man, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. As far as I'm concerned, just keep following it, and hope that Miura can keep things going. And good chapters with it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana Guts himself is only 24 (or maybe 23) and the Golden Age was never as dark as some claim for 75% of the run. Puck has been in the manga since the prototype too but i will admit that he used to be a real character and not a meta-mouthpiece for Miura but Elf Island can only be months away... The purely nihilistic part of the narrative would be Black Swordsman (3 volumes), Lost Children (2 volumes) and to a lesser degree Conviction (4,5 volumes) but none could read 25 years of nihilism. A true artist further doesn’t repeat himself and the last thing i want is for Berserk to stagnate. We are in the middle of act 4 of 5 (Black Swordsman would be a prelude) so expect the tables to turn again one day. Berserk is also a horror series (he fought Cthulhu in the last arc so it still is) but a tragedy first and foremost and that hasn´t changed so we are on point.
IdolMaster is like the Guitar Hero of Japan and Miura has been a gamer for decades (he does give interviews you all) so him mentioning twice that he plays it is just that and how many will get the near identical Persona 4 Dancing all Night on this board? (Even P3 and 4 are a bit of a harem game.) I would also love it if George Railroads Martin could resolve the Meereenese Knot in time but that still won´t fix book 4 and 5 (or season 5). He needs and editor and an ego check.

Fun fact: Berserk was originally envisioned to be a shounen series as the 80s were wild and demographics are meaningless anyway. Source: The Berserk Illustrations File - Artbook has an interview with Miura at the end where he talks about that and Fist of the North Star of course. Guts is also based on a Sci-Fi hero he drew about in college and all Sci-Fi fans here should try Ubik´s namesake novel by Philip K. Dick as it is insane. Miura´s award winning debut piece Futatabi is a fun reads btw. and so is Gigantomakhia. The rest are just ok with Ourou Den (5/10) being his worst.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
As well as Fist, Miura was also inspired by Rose of Versailles and he combined aspects of the two to give birth to Berserk, as seen in Challenging the Manga Dojos.

I'm also a fan of the direction Berserk's going in now. One, the art is god-tier. Two, the shift's given Guts some reprieve and strong allies to support him, which he really needed. Three, the current situation in the manga's a real game-changer with terrifying future implications.

EDIT: corrected manga title.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
As well as Fist, Miura was also inspired by Rose of Versailles and he combined aspects of the two to give birth to Berserk, as seen in Challenging the Manga Dojos.

Oh this's interesting, I didn't know that.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A true artist further doesn’t repeat himself and the last thing i want is for Berserk to stagnate.

Agreed. I just finished the Conviction arc a couple weeks ago and I surprisingly enjoyed parts of it more than the Golden Age arc. I also liked the more high fantasy elements in the story and thankfully, there was also a lot less rape. But yeas, credit to Miura for changing up the story and not doing the same exact thing for 25+ years. And although everyone likes to complain about the release schedule, Berserk is probably one of the best manga out there when it comes to consistent high-quality art in every chapter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3