• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death Note (Drama)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vallum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:01 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Light using the Death Note to save his friend from a petty crook/glorified bully instead of killing a man who is holding a Kindergarten hostage is iffier. On one hand, it's better for humanizing Light because he's doing it to help his friend, but on the other, it makes it kind of petty and strange that a genius like Light would do this instead of solving the problem in his own way.

On the acting side, while I thought the actors all did fine, the casting is strange in two ways. This'll sound funny, but on one hand, L is too attractive and Light is too plain. L isn't supposed to be hideous or anything, but he's supposed to look like a recluse and... he doesn't. Light is supposed to be handsome and charismatic, but I don't see that here. I don't see how Misa would fall for him at first sight (or will they change that too?).

You forgot Light is not a genius in this version. He may be intelligent, but definitely not a genius like he was in the manga, anime or even the movies.

And again, you forgot about the changes in their personalities. Light is more humanized, maybe that's why he is so plain in this version.
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Not only is Light not a genius, he's kind of an idiot. He got played by Misa's stalker, by L, and by Ryuk all in this episode, and he consistently lost control of himself enough to shout at Ryuk in public, not to mention the whole Ryuk running wild with the apple thing to the point where he apparently gave someone a heart attack stealing one.

I did laugh hard when L straight up called Matsuda the stupid one to his face. Poor guy can't catch a break no matter what version of the story he's in. Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
itachi06103570 wrote:
I do have a question for any of the mods including Zac if you're able to do reviews for live action death note and the upcoming Attack on Titan movie would you guys consider doing reviews on Tokusatsu shows such as super sentai and kamen rider it's be kinda nice to see more diversity in your reviews and I'd gladly read and enjoy what is you're opinion on the series in a weekly review. :D

Except that Death Note is legally streaming on Crunchyroll, and the AoT movie had an official premiere in the US. Sentai and KR are not legally available in the US. The only tokusatsu legally available streaming is the Ultra series, and even with that, Crunchy has only now been able to set up a simulcast for.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Not only is Light not a genius, he's kind of an idiot. He got played by Misa's stalker, by L, and by Ryuk all in this episode, and he consistently lost control of himself enough to shout at Ryuk in public, not to mention the whole Ryuk running wild with the apple thing to the point where he apparently gave someone a heart attack stealing one.

I did laugh hard when L straight up called Matsuda the stupid one to his face. Poor guy can't catch a break no matter what version of the story he's in. Laughing

so ryuk is now killing people so he can steal their apples ? that bastard!
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I like the pace and I'm not upset at the changes - a more human Light is refreshing, although L lacks the charm and so far the brains of the original and that's, for me, the biggest downpoint so far. Nice surprise the Penbar thing. And it was a fairly entertaining episode, so I'll keep watching if only to bemoan L's character - or lack thereof.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
When we talk about improving acting, are we still talking by JDrama standards?
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
[quote="Dessa"]
itachi06103570 wrote:
Except that Death Note is legally streaming on Crunchyroll, and the AoT movie had an official premiere in the US. Sentai and KR are not legally available in the US. The only tokusatsu legally available streaming is the Ultra series, and even with that, Crunchy has only now been able to set up a simulcast for.

Huh, so they only do reviews for shows that legally stream in the US? That kind of sucks, considering the fact that the shows that don't have any streams will receive little to no publicity, making them even more obscure.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this series more than I thought I would. I love how early in episode 1 it lets you know that it's not going to be identical to the anime/manga and that it's going to make changes as it sees fit.

Purists might not like it, but I've already seen Death Note so watching people act out the anime wouldn't be all that great to me just like how I didn't like Eva 1.0 because it was literally just a redrawn version of the exact story we'd already seen drawn before.

Some of the acting is cheesy, but I like the idea of Death Note enough to look over it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 now

Quote:
He quickly responds, in voiceover, that he has nothing against L but he has to go, he's in the way of Kira's plan for the world.

it feels kinda abrupt, the change, it was being natural but once L confronted him he almost instantly became anime light, he even stopped referring to kira as a third person.
yatagarasu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Episode 5 now

Quote:
He quickly responds, in voiceover, that he has nothing against L but he has to go, he's in the way of Kira's plan for the world.

it feels kinda abrupt, the change, it was being natural but once L confronted him he almost instantly became anime light, he even stopped referring to kira as a third person.

I would say that change is very natural. It is either you become detached and continue with your dream or you get caught. There is no real middle ground, like the author mentioned there are people in this world that are faced with that reality. You either breakdown, or you fight for what you believe in no matter the cost. Light Yagami is obviously the latter. In all honesty I like that part of this Death Note series better than the original. It is doing a better job of painting the Death Note as a curse.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
What is going on in that picture? Looks like something from a 70s sci-fi B movie.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
at elast now we know that just as planned was not as planned at all, it ws a gamble from kira (at least int his version), will he go back to his normal life, or does he really has a fucked up sense of justice that will keep him close to L ?
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
What is going on in that picture? Looks like something from a 70s sci-fi B movie.

Misa's chained up after being identified as the second Kira, and they put that thing over her eyes because they figured out that she can kill from sight alone. It's basically the same as what happens to her in the anime!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
And if the Death Note was really yours to begin with, it will come back to you for sure!!!

I can't even.

The whole reason Death Note is awesome is because Light is a magnificent bastard who plays overly elaborate psychological games with L. This Light is too dim to do that, so they had to dumb L down by giving the Yotsuba reveal to [expletive] Near. Ugh.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder how Death Note would've been like with the twisted, arthouse visuals of the Hannibal TV series. I'm not quite feeling the mood with the visuals and production values the current show has. (I know Japanese shows don't have the biggest budgets, but still...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4