• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sumomomo Momomo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinigami_Adell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if there are any fans of this anime on here. When I first saw screen shots to this anime I passed it up but them I went back and decided to watch it. I was so glad I did. It has to be one of the funniest animes I have seen in a while. The fanservice is a bit but it does not ruin the anime for me. I am not sure if this will get picked up but I hope it does.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I was waiting for a thread to pop out about this series.

Since there haven't been martial arts comedies for the longest time (or at least, good ones), this particular series is a nice treat for us modern anime fans. The series itself is hilarious, and continuously maintains momentum and energy while not taking itself too seriously. Yui Kano does a great job with Momoko, and while her voice is definitely not the most attractive for a girl to have, it makes Momoko an absolutely hilarious character, and makes it all the more amusing when she tries to get Koushi's attention but always fails. Koushi is kind of funny too, with his radical "I will upbring justice" attitude to...well...everything. It gets even better when more of the cast is introduced, and when more crazy stuff happens. Overall, a great series so far, and I hope it continues the way it has been going.

No, it's not related to Bobobobobobobo and yes, it's funnier (not quite crazier though).
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The opening theme itself is rather energetic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ya i freaking love the opening to this show and it reminds me of Kage Kara Mamoru except funnier and more interesting, i like when spoiler[she had to jump the school to prove herself to the coach] that was pretty cool too. This show is pretty interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Zetsuei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first ep but I found it to be beyond generic.
I mean kinda like Kage Kara Mamoru and probably Kekkaishi as well it's yet another of these shows with a loose theme and excuse to have some halfassed romance. Rolling Eyes
The jokes are hardly funny because they are overdone and predictable. Momoko looks like the epitome of a lolibait and the entire thing seems to drown in mediocrity.
Though unlike KKM and Kekaishi it doesn't have much drive, at least protecting a noble clan or defeating demons can be somewhat entertaining on its own but just trying to produce a child to carry on the family style sounds like a pretty lame theme/running gag.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Zetsuei wrote:
I only watched the first ep but I found it to be beyond generic.
I mean kinda like Kage Kara Mamoru and probably Kekkaishi as well it's yet another of these shows with a loose theme and excuse to have some halfassed romance. Rolling Eyes

Six episodes in, spoiler[there has been absolutely no romance nor any hint of romance nor any sort of romantic development whatsoever. Since this is a 26-episode series, it may be too early to tell at this point, but judging from the way the series is going, romance won't happen.]

A number of people have been comparing the show to Kage Kara Mamoru, but I don't see much in common besides the subgenre (martial arts comedy). KKM seems to be much more focused on moe aspects and possibly romance (I've not finished the series), while Sumomo is just silly people doing silly things.

Quote:
The jokes are hardly funny because they are overdone and predictable.

The jokes are kind of cliche, but then again, Haruhi got its massive fandom by building on top of a pile of cliches. In this day and age where new ideas have run dry comedy-wise, it is how these cliches are executed, handled, and placed that provide for comedic effect. I personally find Sumomo's humor really hilarious, but meh...

Quote:
Momoko looks like the epitome of a lolibait

I thought it was kind of the opposite. If they wanted to make her any sort of moe or lolibait, they would...
A) Throw out her bug eyes and give her cute sparklin' moe eyes.
B) Make her pester Koushi less. Much less. Not at all. How about the exact opposite? She can be victimized instead.
C) Change around her seiyuu. Yui Kano is doing a good job with Momoko, but her voice is anything but cutesy (it makes her more funny, but barely cute/moe at all). Now, if they got Mai Nakahara or Yui Horie to do her voice, it'd be a different story...
D) Shrink her...She's not small enough to be lolibait...

I'd say this is actually one of the better shows of the season. It's certainly better than Code Geass, Lovely Idol, or Kin'iro no Chord.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Quote:
Momoko looks like the epitome of a lolibait

I thought it was kind of the opposite. If they wanted to make her any sort of moe or lolibait, they would...
A) Throw out her bug eyes and give her cute sparklin' moe eyes.
B) Make her pester Koushi less. Much less. Not at all. How about the exact opposite? She can be victimized instead.
C) Change around her seiyuu. Yui Kano is doing a good job with Momoko, but her voice is anything but cutesy (it makes her more funny, but barely cute/moe at all). Now, if they got Mai Nakahara or Yui Horie to do her voice, it'd be a different story...
D) Shrink her...She's not small enough to be lolibait...

The fact that Momoko could be lolibait never really crossed my mind either. She doesn't really seem particularly attractive to me and I think that her character design is rather poor for a female lead. Her eyes are just too freaking huge and throughout the 9 episodes of the series that I've seen so far, I've never felt like wanting to take her seriously and just expect her to mostly provide the comic relief.

Now Iroha, on the other hand, I would not even try to argue that she isn't lolibait. Episode 5, anyone? Wink So far, I would say she's my favorite character and just find it amusing when she acts moe which is in sharp contrast to her real personality with that manly voice of hers, which I like.

Quote:
I'd say this is actually one of the better shows of the season. It's certainly better than Code Geass, Lovely Idol, or Kin'iro no Chord.

I haven't watched any of those shows yet but I think I'll agree. The first 5 episodes were surprisingly hilarious and the following 4 episodes that I've seen were still quite amusing. I didn't really expect to like this show at first but right now, I'm kind of addicted to it Anime smile + sweatdrop. It's still a pretty dumb show that I feel that I'm losing brain cells from watching, but it's fun.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I found this in the all your anime discussion threads here! thread and I love this show! I was coming down from Muteki Kanban Musume and wasn't too game for Shounen Onmyouji when I stumbled across this.

I think Momoko is supposed to be unatractive and ungainly and is indeed comic releif for the show. I think spoiler[she'll do anything to protect her man and loyalty is a greater virtue than good looks and charm]. Loibait?....no, I don't think so. Not like say, Rizelmine. I'm having fun with this one.

I would recommend for fans of Sumomo to watch Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi which has some great comedic martial arts trainig action!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1