• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metal Gear Solid Voice Actor Akio Ohtsuka: Kojima Productions 'Was Dissolved'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
Ew, after the Phantom Pain, I'm no longer supporting Konami, they would likely turn into how Sega is now, or worse, the current SNK Playmore.
At least Sega recently stated that they've learned a lot from how Atlus operates. With any luck, we should see a revitalized Sega sometime in the near future. Hopefully.

What you need to know with SEGA is they keeping Sonic games which Butthurt fans are disappointed and complain on every game they release on this series. Examples are The 2006 game and Sonic Boom. Through you glad you just stop buying them.

The other hand are mobile games. Many or Some popular gaming compiles release mobile games. The biggest target of all is moe related stuff as the most cash grabbing things to have. Moe that is popular means mobile games is popular. And to survive their own from getting bankrupt, they have to shift to mobile games.

Here a pretty good example for you type of guys:

Quote:
Japanese mobile games such as Puzzle & Dragons and Brave Frontier are beloved in their home country, but reviled by Westerners as not "proper" games due to not being on a PC or some sort of dedicated gaming device. It gets worse if the game in question uses a "free-to-play" model, which is seen by Westerners as a disgusting attempt at a cheap cashgrab with Pay To Win implications. Part of the success of mobile gaming can be attributed to Japan's culture of being overworked;note since there is simply not enough time for many to sit down with a console or PC, it is more feasible to carry around handheld systems and mobile phones and use those for gaming instead, since those can be played on a commute train, at a cafe, etc. Westerners, in comparison, have the free time necessary to enjoy console and PC games, and thus see mobile games as simply cheap cashgrabs and novelties designed for "casual gamers". For this same reason, Japanese developers such as CAVE, Taito, and Konami are becoming increasingly disliked by Western fans for shifting away from console games to mobile games, viewing it as acts of abandoning their overseas fanbases. Similarly, the director of Final Fantasy XV, Hajime Tabata, citing the aforementioned reasons, has said that whether or not Final Fantasy XV is successful after its release could signal the end of console gaming in Japan.

Also I thought SNK Playmore is doing fine and there developing a new King of Fighters 3D Game. Whats wrong with that? I though CAVE and Taito were the other only ones here.

Man I also am getting tried of the dislike since the cancellation of Silent Hills as Konami shifting to mobile. Again, The reason of hating on mobile because of not proper due to being quickly develop and hardware limitations (I guess). And also free to play which is most likely pay-to-win.

And because of moe seems to be the also the last hope (probably/ for now) for the japan's culture industry to be popular there will be a less chance to get proper anime (aka moe-less stuff).

Sorry for the language and rushness through.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
{Please read the Over-quoting Guidelines. ~nobahn}
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I have a feeling those games became increasingly more complicated, and expensive. And that the number of units sold didn't offset the costs enough. It's a shame Kojima's been exiled into the wilderness like this, but it's probably for the best. If Konami had kept him on-board, he probably would've frittered away his legacy on a lot of unmemorable games, since there's no way he was going to keep going back to that MGS well.

He was making Silent Hills with Del toro which had a critically acclaimed demo in PT, and after that demo I highly doubt anything he makes in the future could be described as "unmemorable".

I think part of the reason they got rid of him (actually vice president of the company) was probably his focus on the console and PC market didn't mesh too well with Konami's stated focus on mobile and pachinko/gambling, I suspect they're almost totally abandoning console/pc after MGSV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
americananimotk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe Hideo Kojima should go and join Capcom or some other company out of spite just like the creator of Dance Dance Revolution did when Konami gave him the boot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Fatt_One wrote:

I think part of the reason they got rid of him (actually vice president of the company) was probably his focus on the console and PC market didn't mesh too well with Konami's stated focus on mobile and pachinko/gambling, I suspect they're almost totally abandoning console/pc after MGSV.

All that doesn't do enough to explain essentially breaking up Kojima Procductions and censuring him. No whatever Kojima did or didn't do sincerely pissed off the of Konami.
Yause

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

All that doesn't do enough to explain essentially breaking up Kojima Procductions and censuring him. No whatever Kojima did or didn't do sincerely pissed off the of Konami.

The board has undergone big changes in recent months (and if we look further back, the reshuffling has been ongoing for the past 3-4 years), most of which have seen the non-gaming parts of the company gain power.

The principal staff of Love Plus Productions are gone as well, so it isn't just Kojima who is affected. To me, it looks like a struggle over the future of the company with the non-video game officers cleaning house after gaining a stranglehold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2