• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classic: Paranoia Agent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
Leafy wrote:
A tool is merely something a skilled craftsperson utilizes.

I like how you say only "skilled" craftmen can use tools yet the very definition you listed does not indicate such thing, any random schmoe on the street can use a tool and form art with it regardless of skill. That is why you judge the works themselves and ignore the people behind them when judging them.
Quote:
It doesn't have to be physical. It can be conceptual too.

Your definition not only does not imply this, but it still doesn't disprove what I said about positioning not being tools. If that can qualify as tools so could carpet or tiles or even grass if a painter decided to work outside. Why not add air or water since the artist needs to breath and hydrate himself?
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I judge the work, not the people behind it. If I find out who made it that isn't going to sway my score.

Auteur theory isn't related to the arbitrary numerical evaluation of a given work of art.

Quote:
The movie was also made by the same guy that made the Rush Hour trilogy, my favorite X-Men movie, and the terrible Sky Line. They have nothing in common aside form being in a guy's filmography so it's rather pointless.

Auteur theory is the basis of every single medium of art, be it film, literature, music, comics, video games, etc. To argue otherwise is to go against the very foundation of any art criticism, and to suggest that Alfred Hitchcock is the same Uwe Boll.

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying that you don't view use of color, framing, or cinematography to be legitimate tools in a filmmaker's belt?

Color is a tool, framing and cinematography on the other hand merely positioning.

As someone who studied film academically, has spoken and worked with numerous film and video professionals, and who works in the film and television industry, you are at best pedantic and naive, and at worst an anti-intellectual.

With statements like these, you are as qualified to judge film as I am to judge ballet.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Auteur theory is the basis of every single medium of art

And it is never taught in school and the vast majority of people are not familiar with it.
Quote:
To argue otherwise is to go against the very foundation of any art criticism, and to suggest that Alfred Hitchcock is the same Uwe Boll.

His Alone in The Dark adaption I gave a 4/10 which was the lowest score I gave any work of his with In The Name of The King being one of the best fantasy movies ever made with a perfect score. The Birds on the other hand was easily a 1/10 with its sequel getting a 6/10 from me; if Rear Window is anything like Mimic 3 (which is supposed to be a knockoff of that movie minus mutant roaches) I have no interest watching more junk from Hitchcock.
Quote:
As someone who studied film academically

So have I, got straight As in seven film classes, one of them being cinematography no less.
Quote:
who works in the film and television industry

So have I.
Quote:
you are at best pedantic and naive, and at worst an anti-intellectual.

Galap said to keep this civil and this is clear flamebaiting.
Quote:
you are as qualified to judge film as I am to judge ballet.

There aren't any credentials to judging movies or ballet beyond seeing some in action for yourself and going with your gut on whether or not you like it. There is no license to critique. I do have, however, 27 rules I use for judgment to help determine scores.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Quote:
you are at best pedantic and naive, and at worst an anti-intellectual.

Galap said to keep this civil and this is clear flamebaiting.

And you're doing just a fine job yourself so watch it before you start throwing stones. In fact you criticize bonham of flamebaiting but then respond to another part of his post and do the same. You could have bowed out of the discussion between you 2 but have instead continued to respond to bonham and kept the discussion going. So you're just at fault here. Your last post, and all the various points you make, equate mostly to "me too!" and not much else beyond accusing someone of flame baiting while showcasing the same behavior.

You've shown this same behavior before several times as well as insulting fans/fanbase of shows you don't like instead of keeping your opinions related to the show itself. You've also ignored moderator warnings to be civil (Galap gave you 2 just in this thread alone) and argued with moderators over the meaning of debating and civil discussion in the past.

You've both made your points so at this time your back and forth can stop. You're both obviously not going to see eye to eye so just move on. As for you personally Duel you've had ample warnings up to this point to be civil and play nice so consider this a final warning. Remain civil and leave out insults when talking towards other users here or you'll be placed on moderation.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
So getting back to a worthwhile discussion...

andyos wrote:
whoisfriend wrote:
Now that the series reviews are wrapped up, here's a really interesting essay that was written about some of the underlying themes. It's really worth a read:

http://sittingonanatomicbomb.com/2010/08/27/the-true-brilliance-of-paranoia-agent-and-why-its-all-about-the-bomb/

It's a very entertaining article, and I discuss it in Chapter 2 of my Kon book, but I can't buy the central argument. [...] I also thought the interpretation seemed way too reductive, given the series seems critical of 'anyone who reduces the problems of the day to a sloganeering soundbite.'

I agree, though I think one could make an argument that the mushroom cloud has a different, lingering effect than "[rendering] a previously aggressive Japan a helpless child." It's an enormous shadows that lingers uneasily in the country's past, with a society that struggles with its history. Instead of addressing it properly (if at all), it can be cheerfully ignored or twisted into something more palatable (Maromi's literal and symbolic importance). Of course, there doesn't seem to be any escape from this, as we see it all repeat in the ending...

It's a kind of cynicism that seems to be absent in Paprika. Tokita is the kind of character that would be demonized in Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue, but isn't here. I don't know how much of that is due to the original novel (which I've yet to read) and a possible change for Kon, but it adds a different, positive layer to dreams and escapism which is absent from Paranoia Agent. It makes me wonder how The Dream Machine would have turned out...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8