• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Snow White with the Red Hair

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was thinking the same thing as it became clear that episode 23 was going to be filler this late in the game.

The weird thing is, you know that at some point in the creative process someone said, "oh, let's make sure we animate that Mitsuhide filler chapter... no, not that one, the silly one."
mandisaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
I flipped back to be sure, but yeah, I can't see where they might pull a "satisfactory" season-ending here. Tanbarun was kind of a short arc, especially when you figure that animated action is faster than manga-action.

The next arc is *long*, and has lots of cool character moments, but the action is decidedly more cerebral. Aside from wanting to see the scenery, and maybe see/hear some of the arc characters, I can't really think of much that the story would gain from animation. If English-language drama CDs were an option, I'd say that would be a cool way to go.

But hey, Natsume Yuujinchou is getting a S5 (which reminds me to finish that) so anything is possible.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
This episode isn't filler. It's the next chapter in the manga. Filler episodes are those that animators make up when they run out of material.

I mentioned several weeks ago that the animators had written themselves into the position of having to do this. There is no room for the longer arc following this, and there's just a bunch of little fluff chapters between it and the pirate arc. So next week will be ultra fluff.

Still, I'm enjoying seeing these cute chapters animated. The reactions to Mitsuhide were worth it. But if we get a season 3, season 2 will be considered the weakest one and almost skippable, at least from my point of view.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah this week's episode was alright and had a few funny moments (seeing Mitsuhide getting Kiki was my favourite bit) but it does seem like kind of a rush to the end to me as well, hopefully they'll get the finale right but I don't know how with only one more episode remaining so I just hope that we'll get a quick season 3 and I can forgo all about this episode...

sunflower wrote:
This episode isn't filler. It's the next chapter in the manga. Filler episodes are those that animators make up when they run out of material.

Oh really it's wasn't a filler? I seriously though it was, if you've read it could you tell me if the chapter(s) was any better in the manga?
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
A- is a very fair rating for this episode and same could be said for the said for the whole series. It did its intended job and finished strong something many anime have failed to do in the last 5 years in my opinion.

Never know couple of years down the line might get a further continuation of this title I'd welcome that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I am satisfied with the closure that episode 24 provided. Rebecca sums up most of my final thoughts on Snow White with the Red Hair in the last paragraph of her review.

I also think that part 1 was better than part 2, but episodes 13-24 complemented well the great episodes 1-12. I rate this second cour Good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Shirayuki's closing line seems contradictory. To me fate is about not getting to choose, so saying you want to choose your own path, painted in the color of fate kind of makes no sense.

That was pleasant enough to keep me entertained. I'm delighted they followed up on the Friend of the Crown thing, but the swooning bit was annoying. The series needed more Izana though. Smile
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Loved the conclusion to the show with Shirayuki getting to choose the path she wanted (^I've just realized that that's contradictory to way of saying it was fate) and that Raj also got to play a part in the end. I like that Raj that tried to use the 'Friend of the Crown' as a way to help Shirayuki but also left it up to her as a friend instead of a love interest and that other characters also got development throughout the series as well. The scenes with Shirayuki and Zen were cute and I'm happy with the conclusion of show; didn't expect it to be but definitely one of my favourite shows of the season
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Shirayuki's closing line seems contradictory. To me fate is about not getting to choose, so saying you want to choose your own path, painted in the color of fate kind of makes no sense.

That was pleasant enough to keep me entertained. I'm delighted they followed up on the Friend of the Crown thing, but the swooning bit was annoying. The series needed more Izana though. Smile

It could be wonky translation, or cultural dissonance, but I think it was meant to bookend Zen's comments from way back in chapter/episode 1 that SY's hair is red, "the color of fate". I interpret her line as saying that she wants to do things "her way", which in faux-Renaissance-ish society is pretty audacious (nevermind the whole "marry a prince" dream).

The "swooning bit" (facilitated by Obi, natch) was the highlight for me, jaded/closet romantic that I am Very Happy

SnowyLightning44 wrote:
Oh really it's [Ep 23] wasn't a filler? I seriously though it was, if you've read it could you tell me if the chapter(s) was any better in the manga?

Honestly, although there are some scenes/chapters that they've mixed-and-matched, or done slight dialogue tweaks to, this has been a pretty faithful adaptation. It's far enough behind the manga that there wasn't any particular reason to do filler episodes, and the manga itself offers plenty of "side stories" to slow down the pacing, if needed.

----------
This is definitely going on my "'easy listening' anime recommendation" list, as it's just gritty enough to avoid cloying sweetness, but still makes a nice palate cleanser from grimdark fare and tragic romances. The off- & on-model stuff was kind of jarring, but the eye candy was worth the price of admission Smile

I was a bit surprised that they didn't even tease the next arc (spoiler[palace intrigues, followed by Shirayuki's "journeyman"/medical residency at Lyrias]), but perhaps it's for the best, if they don't have any standing plans to animate it.

I really do recommend that folks read the manga (or petition/request for it to be brought over), as it does improve on that balance between romance, humor, intrigue, and "people at work" that S1 was really good at.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
sunflower wrote:

Oh really it's wasn't a filler? I seriously though it was, if you've read it could you tell me if the chapter(s) was any better in the manga?

I thought it was better in the anime. It was the same plot, but the way they animated all the background joking and such made it funnier.

I liked the ending- it was SOOOOO romantic. I really did think Disney, and how it was a callback to Season 1 Episode 1 in that way. They kind of made of bits of this and pulled some things from the manga, but they wove them together in a way that I really enjoyed and which still felt true to the characters and their stories.

The star of this season to me was really Raj. It was great watching him grow up, and it was also great seeing that it wasn't a magic cure. He's just trying now and doing better, even if he still goofs around and doesn't care for being a prince that much.

I hope they do make another season. But if they don't, this is a good place to stop.

I do recommend the manga thought because the story just gets better.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
So the second season is even more bland than the first one? Snow White is not only its name but also its taste.

On the scale of "prince finding his own proper age maiden- could be you- on his own- among the peasants? Really!" fairy tale versus "political marriage between old man and infant- there's royalty for you" realism, this has a ninja. Why is there a ninja again?

Every time the series took a serious look at its science of herbs, I wanted the show to take a serious look at its own politics. At which point the show would go "Oh look, flowers that sprout at night and that can heal ailments if its only picked at dawn!" And I would answer "But even a second prince would have more use to a kingdom as bargaining chip than..."

Then I get lost because their titles and jobs are their personalities.

The World is Still Beautiful managed to do in one season what this one couldn't manage to do in two. Well, I'm guessing anyway as I've not much interest in continuing past the first season. I had a checklist of potential, well, not plots but rather things these characters could do so that they'd be more than "loyal guard" or "second prince". And they all came up as "No, no, no, no and what, you think these characters have ambition?"

Snow White was a princess. There was an Evil Queen. This story could have taken anything from the fairy tale and would have ended up as something more than a vague warm feeling.

And I guess I gave away one of the plots I was wondering about... from the beginning actually. The series had no ambition to be anything, did it?
mandisaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
a bunch of nonsense that shows they didn't watch even the first season, let alone the second

Is this the state of trolling now? Too busy to troll throughout, so just jump in at the end, like an eBay sniper?

I mean, I almost took seriously the bit about politics and unrealistic relationships, until you compared the story to Snow White, and said no one has any ambition. It's a Cinderella-archetype story where the girl strives to become a doctor, and the royals work hard (and occasionally fail). Even the thief/assassin (LOL ninja) gets swept up in the transformative atmosphere and works to spoiler[become a knight].

Honestly, if you weren't trolling, I would recommend AnS to someone who liked World is Still Beautiful, for its similar feeling of refreshing, intelligent romance, but with low/no magic, less realpolitik, and more age-appropriate leads (always a bit of a sticking point with me, although I like Nike & Levi).
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The series had no ambition to be anything, did it?

The series had no ambition to be what you wanted it to be, but rather to be itself. Too bad for you. Go watch Erased.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The series had no ambition to be anything, did it?

This series tried to be a good, fluffy romance and succeeded at being one. I think it was quite obvious.

If you want intrigues, check Song of the Long March. It has them in spades.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
When I read the line "choose [her] own path, painted in the color of fate" (I didn't watch the anime because I'm a hopeless manga-snob, so I don't know exactly how the line went), I think of it as taking whatever "fate" puts in her way, and making her choices/path based on that. She didn't decide as a child to move to another country and become a pharmacist and fall in love with the second prince, but circumstances led her to a place, to meet people, etc, and she is making her own choices based on those circumstances. In this way, fate colours her choices and path.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18