• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Actually, I Am…

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I really dislike how this anime ended. I'm not gonna lie: Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa is probably my favorite Rom-Com manga, and to see it's anime counterpart fall flat on it's face and just stop trying, makes me wanna cry out of disappointment

So... yeah... overall, rushing the plot really hurt the pace of each character and it's development, and the comedy was never quite right there. I hope we don't get a second season, tho. They developed the hell out of Aizawa, to the point where she's the only character that actually feels like a character.

Ugh...

I'ma go read Chapter 86. It always cheers me up
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I think the best part of that episode was that her father can't come into her room. Laughing What teen hasn't wished for a barrier like that!
Goober2049

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think the best part of that episode was that her father can't come into her room. Laughing What teen hasn't wished for a barrier like that!
Unfortunately he can still see into it :p
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13 review wrote:
It's the kind of finale that elicits neither cheers nor boos, only leaving the audience to lean back in their seats and mutter, “Well, I guess that's that.”

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Particularly since I can't think of much to write other than to complain about how tedious it is to constantly have romantic pairs (3 of them this show) being completely unable to express themselves. What the hell are they so frickin afraid of anyway?

That's what made Akane so appealing. Underused Debbil.
JoskeZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:47 am Reply with quote
no season 2 confirmed Rolling Eyes
seriously the manga is the best rom com for me but the anime.... Rolling Eyes
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
Romantic comedies are a joke nowadays. If all they're gonna do is beat around the bush like with Actually, I Am… , then they shouldn't create them that way.

Guess what I'm saying is that I can't relay on romance anime that don't deliver.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Particularly since I can't think of much to write other than to complain about how tedious it is to constantly have romantic pairs (3 of them this show) being completely unable to express themselves. What the hell are they so frickin afraid of anyway?(...)

I blame the fear to enrage "alternative" couples' fans. Seriously, you won't want your readers/viewers to leave the show, won't you?

Also, if the manga is still running on, you cannot forward an ending, too.

My opinion: I liked it. "Actually, I am" might not be the funniest comedy or the best romantic comedy out there, but it is good mixture between both genres.

But I still wonder how Yoko's dad grown that much...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Though far from being a favorite or one of the better series of the year, Actually, I Am. . . nonetheless consistently entertained me. I totally agree with the commentary by Paul and others about the tedious parts, but focusing more on being goofy than sexy was a refreshing change of pace and I liked the many big twists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the odd position of being a fan who got into the manga because the first couple of episodes got me interested, and then binge-reading everything that was available. But yes, as endings go this one was really odd. I didn't expect them to do anything decisive since this season only covered 20-something chapters out of a manga that's already got over 100, but I guess they needed something. It's kind of odd how this episode actually borrowed bits from a manga arc where the group visits Youko's house during Summer Vacation, which sadly means that arc will probably never happen if the series gets more seasons.

As I said in previous posts, making Genjirou out to be a villain struck me as odd since he's nothing like that in the manga (at worst, spoiler[he disguises himself as a female teacher's assistant in order to spy on Youko]), but obviously they did a good job of turning it around and retaining his original character of being an overprotective dad with the same lack of brains as his daughter. Touko didn't really get to do much, but I was really glad to see her all the same.

But overall, I greatly enjoyed Jitsu Wa, both as a manga and an anime. As someone who hates Harem and fanservice-laden shows, the focus on humor and characters whom I actually like was a breath of fresh air. I do hope it gets another season so the anime audience can get introduced to fun characters like Rin and the Charismatic Pervert, and to see the story really shine later on.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
I loved this show. It didn't do anything particularly well (nor badly, though, for that respect), but it had a simple, good-hearted, earnest charm that really resonated with me. I loved all the characters, even the poorly-written ones, and I just always had a ball with every episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7