• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Criticizes Prime Minister Abe at Press Conference

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I prefer the Miyazaki that made movies, the miyazaki public personality that wants to be a politician without running for office is not as entertaining or influential as he thinks he is.

The man's movies and politics are pretty much one and the same, though, carrying generally consistent messages about environmentalism and pacifism. So even when he was making movies, he was still contributing to political discourse.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pacifist, so naturally I don't want Japan to have a military again, but considering none of our neighbors (China, Korea, and Russia) is friendly to us, I can at least understand where those who want to change the constitution are coming from.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
As much as it pains me to say this: It isn't Japan that needs to strengthen its forces in the region, it's us, the US. We took on that burden when we forced Japan to becom a pacifist nation. Maybe SK could help, as they have a stake in this as well.

We should be strengthening our positions in keeping China contained instead of wasting our resources in the Middle-east, non-nonsensically fighting a war against an emotion.

But despite what "should" happen, I expect that Japan will return to its military ways, though whether or not that will ultimately be enough to keep China from their throats (I fully expect China to attack Japan as soon as they feel they can handle the US), time will tell.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I prefer the Miyazaki that made movies, the miyazaki public personality that wants to be a politician without running for office is not as entertaining or influential as he thinks he is.

The man's movies and politics are pretty much one and the same, though, carrying generally consistent messages about environmentalism and pacifism. So even when he was making movies, he was still contributing to political discourse.

... and I have nothing against movies with some inherent political discourse, but remove the movie and all what we have left is an old man ranting none stop. Movies can change the hearts and minds of people, rants not so much.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Something to consider is that the current prime minister of China, Xi Jinping, is an incredibly aggressive one. He's not only made all these little expansions all around the oceans around China, he's led an initiative to arrest as many human rights lawyers as he can to minimize opposition. (It's another issue entirely on how a government can simply look for lawyers, blame them on things, and imprison them without a trial.)

He's not the sort of person who can be easily negotiated with peacefully.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, being a peace loving hippy won't prevent China from taking your islands when they just suddenly feel like doing it. You can be devoted to peace all you want, but Japan doesn't have the luxury of being situated in Western Europe where border disputes and angry neighbors simply do not exist.

Which is kind of odd to think about considering Europe has a history full of border disputes and angry neighbors. Being trapped on a continent-sized peninsula can do that to you, I suppose.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
#839994 wrote:
Quote:
Savages like ISIS and communist countries don't play by the same rules that civilized countries do.

That is a unwise stance to take. Such a narrow definition of "civilized" inevitably leads to a false sense of superiority. Enough people in my own country possess it so I recognize it.
[/quote]

...On the other hand it is equally unwise to believe that ISIS, etc., are NOT savages - they clearly are. In general, what you are saying makes sense. But when it comes to things like ISIS, there is no grey area - they are the opposite of civilized, no other way to look at it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, being a peace loving hippy won't prevent China from taking your islands when they just suddenly feel like doing it. You can be devoted to peace all you want, but Japan doesn't have the luxury of being situated in Western Europe where border disputes and angry neighbors simply do not exist.

Which is kind of odd to think about considering Europe has a history full of border disputes and angry neighbors. Being trapped on a continent-sized peninsula can do that to you, I suppose.

Last time they bit off more than they could chew.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Peace is unlikely to be obtained without power
Krokietto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki said this and this and this~ Why should we care what this old man is talking about other things than anime? Because I don't care.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
There cannot be peace without sacrifices. And as much as some Japanese people want to remain peaceful, the country's stance on things is different from when it fought in WWII. The US is also not going to be able to continue to bear the most of the burden of defending Japan from their neighbors. You can only stay peaceful for so long especially in that particular section of the world. These are trying times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki has a point.

War is better off being a last resort option for Japan if all else fails.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Yes, but how you go about peace is the issue. As much as pacifists may be reluctant to admit it, a lot of peace has been done throughout the ages by force.

We had that problem in the 30s, if Neville Chamberlain had not opposed war until 39, and let Germany build up a large army, the war could of been won a lot sooner.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
I respect Miyazaki, even though I didn't like anything he made in more than 10 years, but his idealistic views clouded his judgement on how real politics works. Seeking world peace is a noble goal, unfortunately there are a lot of reasons why military exists.
Quote:
"...and Japan has a pacifist constitution in order to think of other solutions."

Sounds like he washed his hands of. It's kinda hypocritical to demand something from politicians when you yourself have no idea what to do.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ITT: A bunch of non-Japanese people pontificate about Japanese politics.

Please understand, Hayao Miyazaki and his Studio has reached many Hearts in the Past, some kind of Compass like example Captain Jean Luc Picard. All of these hearts from the past, feel some kind of linked with this "Father role" Sensei.

These non-Japanese peoples know that, but they rise her Words of concern for a friend. Well, even if we never seen face to face
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
Political preferences aside, it is sadly true that peace has historically and still can't be obtained without there being sacrifices/force.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5