• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Criticizes Prime Minister Abe at Press Conference

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomroar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki this is a waste of time you already made yourself clear, if they still want to go to war let them, you are old enough this has nothing to do with you, go on vacation and let them live their dreams, they want to burn so let it burn.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
The only way to keep a militarily-expanding China at bay is to either have a military capable of stopping them, or to keep buying their products produced with under-priced near-slave labor.

To be honest, the idea of a "pacifist constitution" being anything but an attempt to neuter a country after it loses a war seems incredibly naive in this day in age, although I appreciate the fact that the Japanese people in general like it.

In reality, all it really means is that they won't invade or use primitive strikes against another country. It doesn't mean they won't fight. And reinterpreting the constitution simply gives them the ability (not obligation) to help protect allies.
War_Destroyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
Okay, so he's an old man and a retired animator, so what? Why do so many of you want him to shut up? Why shouldn't he hold or state his political views, he's the one living there unlike most of you, it's his home, the place he grew up in, the people he cares for live there. There's more to life than just anime, he's not forcing anything down your throats, I doubt that you're even his intended audience. He just happens to be a renowned animator expressing his political views, and it subsequently got posted on this site. He's an artist and he's always been into politics, you can see it in his works if you're intelligent enough. What artist doesn't use their skills or fame to express their views, are you f'ing kidding me?
checarlos87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
I love seeing Japan political news on ANN. Keep it up.
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
I'd rather not see politics stuff on this anime news website please

they spam it enough everywhere else anyway
Karlz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
It's funny how all the supporters of american military bases in Japan in this forum seems to be americans themselves. This says a lot about who is really the aggressor and invader regarding that issue.

And BTW, for all the {Please, no name-calling. ~nobahn} claiming he's an old man who doesn't know about politics and how dangerous China is, that's the same man who lived through most of post-war Japan, made a living in creating masterpieces with focus on anti-war messages and above everything else, is a japanese. This alone made his views on that issue far more important than anyone here, especially if said person is an american citizen who supports their bases in another country.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
You want to know who the true aggressor is here? It's not the United States, it's not Japan, it's not South Korea, and it sure as hell isn't the Philippines or Vietnam. Guess.
timber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Just from japanese movies/anime I have seen about WW2 I already get the impression that a great number of Japaneses only see themselves as victims of the war (bombardments by the US, ...) and as people who gave their best for their country, never as the bastards they were at the time. Add to some political circles which still seem to have a hard time to swallow the humiliation of a defeat 70 years after the fact and I'd like nothing better than to see their 'peace' constitution left in place.

On the other hand China's current masters seem to think they also should be the masters of the universe, with the first step being control of the Asian sees. For those who don't know what I am talking about, here is a nice article on how quickly China is building bases all over the islands of the Asian sees.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
timber wrote:
Just from japanese movies/anime I have seen about WW2 I already get the impression that a great number of Japaneses only see themselves as victims of the war (bombardments by the US, ...) and as people who gave their best for their country, never as the bastards they were at the time.

You should watch Masaki Kobayashi's Human Condition Trilogy, Keisuke Kinoshita's Morning for the Osone Family, Kon Ichikawa's Fires on the Plain and read Keiji Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen and Shigeru Mizuki's Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths.
Goblinatore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's easy to bash China for all the evil stuff they do (like the inhumane treatment of animals and humans in their own country, FYI Japan doesn't treat animals well either, see the frog sushi video). But for those who know history, it's incredibly ironic that people can be so anti-China and pro-Japan these days. Just 70 years ago, China fought on America's side to defeat the Japanese. The cost? Thousands upon thousands of dead Chinamen. But it's okay right? Because Chinese peasants are sub-humans (while not implied directly, this is a common thought amongst many of you). No one thanked China for her war efforts.

Meanwhile, the USA bombs Japan, and literally treats it like its bitch, and Japan doesn't seem to care one bit. USA's main beef with China is that it's a communist country and therefore automatically the enemy, but let's not forget that communism is one jew's idea of equality and it's definitely not Chinese. Yes, you can blame China all you want for not being democratic, but Asian countries like it and Japan have always operated under some sort of dictatorship for thousands of years. It's just how they function. Of course, Japan got away from that system after the USA dropped two bombs on them, but you get the point. The funny thing is, China used to look up to the USA in the 90s, but all the wars that the USA caused during the last decade is what made China shy away from the concept of democracy in disgust.

You people are scared that China is becoming too powerful. What for? Would you have the same reaction if the country was democratic? The issues that China has with Japan and some other Asian neighbour are old as fudge and it's not as if the USA did a great job at being a world leader either with all the wars they caused. From what I've read about China's ancient history, all you have to do to pacify China is to flatter the emperor and send some meaningless tribute to him. THAT'S LITERALLY ALL YOU HAVE TO DO to avoid all sorts of wars for hundreds of years. Now compare that approach to the USA's (forcing "muh burger freedoms" down everyone's throats) and tell me which is better.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we all should let China push around Japan and the Philippines. That worked out well with Nazi Germany.

Not everyone wants peace, that's the main problem with the peace debate.

I watch the Philippine news weekly, and China isn't making any friends down there either.

China is going to push and push, until someone pushes back.
War_Destroyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
War_Destroyer wrote:
He's an artist and he's always been into politics, you can see it in his works if you're intelligent enough. What artist doesn't use their skills or fame to express their views, are you f'ing kidding me?

Quiz time, name a well known artist that has been on the news this year talking about his political views that is not producing movies/tv, music, drawings, etc. any more.

No, the small cgi miyazaki is said to be producing is not enough to say he is still active, he has said himself that he is retired. Ok, waiting to hear you "long list".

That is the difference.

I've explained myself clearly the first time... I'm frankly astounded at how ignorant some of you are... Your argument is not only fallacious but just straight up absurd. I'm a psychologist, are you telling me that I can't talk about politics because I've not made a career in politics? Listen to yourself, you're a Mexican telling a Japanese man not to discuss the the political issues HIS country faces or criticize HIS country's leader because he's not a politician? Did I get that right? Do you not understand how dangerous and stupid that mentality is?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
War_Destroyer wrote:

No, the small cgi miyazaki is said to be producing is not enough to say he is still active, he has said himself that he is retired. Ok, waiting to hear you "long list".

That is the difference.

I've explained myself clearly the first time... I'm frankly astounded at how ignorant some of you are... Your argument is not only fallacious but just straight up absurd. [/quote]

1. You evaded my query, which means you can't think of any famous retited person who rants about politics and comes out in the news.

2. Miyazaki, just like any other retires, has the right to use his fame to rant and make headlines, just like you have the right to pick your nose in public, that does not mean it is pretty or something you would advice people to do.

Quote:
I'm a psychologist, are you telling me that I can't talk about politics because I've not made a career in politics? Listen to yourself, you're a Mexican telling a Japanese man not to discuss the the political issues HIS country faces or criticize HIS country's leader because he's not a politician? Did I get that right? Do you not understand how dangerous and stupid that mentality is?

No. no. no. yes.

You have serious reading comprehension problems, it boggles the mind you have a degree. You clearly have a political bias, like everybody, which does not let you think straight, which is sad.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Japan, like most of Europe is a vassal state of Washington.

Japan is only to maintain a Defense Force for its own protection according to the constitution. It is not to engage in offensive pre-emptive occupational war of any kind.

However thanks to Washington, and convenient workarounds, the Japanese actually do engage in such things through 'UN Peacekeeping' and because Washington wants war with Russia and China to protect its uni-power world, Japan is becoming a convenient pawn that Washington will happily use and sacrifice to its own advantage.

Even ISIS is supplied by Washington with arms, vehicles, weaponry, funding and training. Except Washington refers to them as 'moderate rebels' when in fact these same guys make up ISIS. But ISIS conveniently is waging war in Syria and the Middle East on behalf of Washington when Russia prevented them from attacking Syria on false charges of chemical weapon use when in fact it was the same 'moderate rebels' Washington backs that used it and it was supplied by Washington's Saudi friends.

Russia and China know they have targets painted on them by Washington. Naturally Europe and Japan are the canon fodder bulletproof vest that Washington will use when it decides its interests and financial hegemony are at grave risk from the rise of the BRICS.

Look up the Wolfowitz Doctrine to understand what this is all about. Washington's World Order tolerates no competing rivals. The Cold War ended to Washington's benefit and it wishes to keep it that way, no matter what the methods.

Japan faces a dilemma, if they are to be a non-offensive military country but still keep a U.S. presence as their deterrent and if japan wants to be an anti-nuke country but still rely on U.S. nuclear subs as their deterrent then they are subject to the demands of the U.S.

Miyazaki has the right idea. Don't get caught up in this geopolitical game. Maintain the anti-war stance. But Japan must out of necessity also maintain a defensive military. But Japan is better served turning to Russia than Washington in order to have an arbiter in relations with China. Russia doesn't want war. Washington on the other hand can't wait for an excuse, much to the detriment of the people of the U.S. who no longer control their government... if they ever really actually did...
timber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

You should watch Masaki Kobayashi's Human Condition Trilogy, Keisuke Kinoshita's Morning for the Osone Family, Kon Ichikawa's Fires on the Plain and read Keiji Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen and Shigeru Mizuki's Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths.

I have only seen Barefoot Gen, so the rest is from summaries:
Barefoot Gen: survivors of Hiroshima.
Fires on the Plain: poor little Japanasese soldier trying to survive while on the loosing side.
Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths: soldiers were instructed to die for their country to avoid the dishonor of survival

These seem clearly on the usual trend I described: brave and honorable Japansese civilians and soldiers victims of loosing war.

Human Condition + Morning for the Osone Family: struggles of pacifists in the hands of the imperialistic regime and their exactions.
Human Condition at least seems like a movie that some Japanese should see. People should not feel humiliated when reminded their ancestors did some real bad things (after all every country has its dark hours), they should just accept it and be proud of how much better the current Japan is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5