• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Criticizes Prime Minister Abe at Press Conference

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Seska1973--

With all due respect -- and no disrespect intended -- is English your primary language? It's OK if it isn't -- but we moderators need to know.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

You guys know nothing about your own US government, is 100 times worse than russia, is evil and US citizens are constatly brainwashed by lies spread on TVs and media, so they colonize countries, destroy their internal economy and try to export everything valuable leave poverty and devastation only, so they can have their own chinese manpower to compete and stop to produce their product in China.

Yeah between what Putin's done on things like gay-rights, Crimea, freedom of the press, freedom of speech, supporting Bassad in Syria etc. We sure are worse than them. That's also not taking into consideration all the shady or messed up things Russia did for the last 90 years or so prior. Most of us Americans know and have accepted that our government and the decisions they've been making since the country's founding aren't infallible but let's not pretend that Russia of all countries has been better in certain respects historically.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Seska1973--

With all due respect -- and no disrespect intended -- is English your primary language? It's OK if it isn't -- but we moderators need to know.

No. Is there some kind of Regio Lock here?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
^
What the devil is a "Regio Lock"?
Seska1973

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
^
What the devil is a "Regio Lock"?

DVD Region Lock. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
i am from the Region Number 2

No, English is not my First Language. Care to explain your Question?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
OK, so English is not your primary language; that is all we moderators need to know. As far as my question is concerned, you answered it. "What the devil . . ." is an idiom.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
As much as it pains me to say this: It isn't Japan that needs to strengthen its forces in the region, it's us, the US. We took on that burden when we forced Japan to becom a pacifist nation. Maybe SK could help, as they have a stake in this as well.

We should be strengthening our positions in keeping China contained instead of wasting our resources in the Middle-east, non-nonsensically fighting a war against an emotion.

But despite what "should" happen, I expect that Japan will return to its military ways, though whether or not that will ultimately be enough to keep China from their throats (I fully expect China to attack Japan as soon as they feel they can handle the US), time will tell.

I don't think Japan or the US or both countries combined can actually contain China at this point in time. China is indeed the world's most powerful country in terms of warmaking potential and I don't think any other country can contain it if China is truly serious about expanding it's sphere of influence.

Japan will become a Chinese satellite in the near future. Today it is an American satellite so nothing really will change as the country will never be a sovereign great power again. However, there are two ways for things to proceed in the next couple of decades:

1 - China destroys Japanese and US forces in Asia. Many innocent Japanese civilians will die. Japan submits to Chinese hegemony and US abandons Asia.

2 - Japan peacefully submits to Chinese hegemony, no innocent Japanese civilians die. US reduces it's forces on Asia.

US is not powerful enough to defeat China on it's home turf now as Chinese GDP has just surpassed the US in size, and giving that China is specialized in manufacturing it's industrial capabilities are several times the US's and it's manpower strength is 5 times the US's. So China's warmaking potential is perhaps 2-3 times the US now, maybe less considering American technological superiority might reduce their numerical inferiority a little.

So the discrepancy in warmaking potential between the two countries is very large now and will increase even more in the near future. I don't see how the US could raise the resources maintain and supply a military force of the size capable of defeating potential Chinese forces and deploy it in East Asia.

However I don't think that the world will have another superpower, but it will be multipolar. The US will be local power in the Americas, China will dominate Asia, Russia will bully countries in Eastern Europe, but the EU countries will still maintains it's sovereignty against Russia. Well, that's how the world is converging too so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I think you're underestimating the power the US military retains. Beyond having far more advanced equipment(ignoring that goose called the F-35) and quite a bit in storage, the US also has a massive advantage: nobody's landed troops on the American mainland in centuries, while the US has as many supercarriers as the rest of the world combined has operational smaller models and allies positioned on China's western flank, meaning the US gets to project power and not worry about suffering any damage itself.
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah between what Putin's done on things like gay-rights, Crimea, freedom of the press, freedom of speech, supporting Bassad in Syria etc.
Russia was already Assad's ally since well before this started, so that's not something to hold against them(especially since all the alternatives are worse); Crimea, for its part, never really liked Ukraine and likely would've gotten out without a rigged vote(they've tried before).

Of course, Russia's current military actions all trace to a complete loss of influence, right down to gas being pumped back from the west. With all options exhausted, it's almost inevitable that Putin turned to pursing policy by other means.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
What i found sad here, is that many peoples thinking this "Säbbelrasseln" (Sabre-rattling. metaphor for Military Power Plays ) is necessary. What happen with the Respect and Trust each other? Is is replaced with Force and Fear? The Strongest are the fittest? Well, the problem here. The Institution that should prevent Wars from spreading out is not working anymore. Because these forces that should look out for Peace are fighting each other. The mistrust is winning

Mistrust and Fear is spreading like pestilence at middle ages in Europe. But here the Pest are Weapons capable of Mass destruction for the entire World (Fallout, Biological and worse)

Do we really need an 2nd Cuba crisis for the entire World to open their Eyes, in how close we are at the Cliff of no Return? What are we doing today for the Generation that follow us tomorrow. Our present for their luck in survive is an burnout Earth?

This is my posting of common sense. Should the World end with us?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Respect and trust can only hold up for as long as every party in a group keeps that respect and treats everyone else fairly. The moment one of these parties starts acting selfishly and/or belligerently, that's when the respect and trust falls apart. (Best case scenario is that it's an isolated incident and the others force the initiating party to stay in line; worst case scenario is that everyone starts fighting.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
@Seska1973:

The UN was never meant to keep peace; there's a reason the Security Council is pretty much the organ with any power and that's stacked with five Allied vetoes - it was nothing more than a way to preserve and legitimize the balance of power at the time(not that that's stopped English and French influence from waning).

Ultimately, what drove the nature of the twentieth century was the law of hegemony; the world had bifurcated under two superpowers that had created a scenario where any war between them would be a catastrophic clash between their entire spheres of influence. This created the concept of MAD that helped prevent the powder keg from ever being lit.

What's happening today is that the law of hegemons no longer applies and we're headed towards a multipolar world - in other words, an unusual period in human events is being replaced with a more typical one. With more independent great powers, comes a greater risk of conflict as they attempt to wrest all they can from one another in ever-shifting alliances.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, in our Past after WW2 Time, the world was dominated of the fear because of the Atomic Bombs. But now, with this Fear slowly gone, old suppressed anger are rising again. So our peace in the past, was just some "we are the Big Bad Dudes with Atomic bombs. Obey or be doomed!", well and Money talked big. It not resolved any problems, it just put them on Ice, and the Ice is melting slowly. But this is the best time to put these problem aside on their own accord. Not playing kindergarten "Your mean to me? be careful i have a Big Brother!".

But... i think i am drifting to far on Offtopic, and i should end my "all should be happy and Peace to all on the Mother Earth" part. i know that this is a dream. But Peace through suppressing the Weak, is that really peace in the hearts and for generations to come?

i love in how someone are giving these next Generations a change to start a new. (no names to be neutral and my own Forum Ethics). Should we not support them with Trust and Hope, to overcame their own Hate in their Hearts?

last post on this topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5