• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
But do watch out for subtle touches, such as Albedo's barely-visible breath in certain scenes in episode 2.

So you were keeping an eye on her boobs then. Wink

As I said in the discussion thread, what I'm really liking about this is the sort of Detroit Metal City vibe going on, with the protagonist playing the Demonic Evil Overlord to his "fans" while being a confused nice guy underneath the costume. It's working really well for this.

itachi06103570 wrote:
it gets the point across to me about mom's since I just recently got into those myself

I'm sure this is the insidious work of the Demon Autocorrect, but it made me chuckle. Smile

I've only done real-time free-form text roleplaying, but I certainly resonated with the shutting down of the guild, as the story was always going on and evolving even when I wasn't online, and when it began to decline as players moved on, I did start to wonder what became of the npc's other players had created (not to mention their player characters), and how their situations ever resolved. So that's another reason I'm enjoying this.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
So we have the character Mare Bello Fiore, who refers to himself, in-universe, as an "otoko no ko". How does that sits with ANN's prohibition of using the translated word?

Last edited by Hameyadea on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't make a difference, given that the term only translates that way on 4chan.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying Overlord, too, Cocytus and Momonga are really fun to watch so far, one bought me with "I want to be called Uncle and a kid riding on my back : D" and the other is pretty interesting how he got dragged into this and how he's reacting accordingly.

Hameyadea wrote:
So we have the character Mare Bello Fiore, who refers to himself, in-universe, as an "otoko no ko". How does that sits with ANN's prohibition of using the translated word?

I don't think that poses any problem, the banned term is a Western and twisted interpretation of it; meaning, Mare refers to himself as a boy dressed as a girl, and thankfully, they didn't do the fetishized portrayal of the concept like it's always done, it's mentioned just to explain any sort of confusion (though it was obvious to me) and that's it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Cocytus doing the uncle bit had me smiling good. It's always the big intimidating nonhuman ones who have the most contrast when they do things outside of their warrior demeanor.

That includes Momonga too, being a skeleton overlord and all. I can't wait for the next episode. :)
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've never played Tabletop RPGs nor do I really know what they are (I'd like to know what they are though). The only way I relate to this is because I play MMO's and I can share the disheartening moment in episode 1 because one of the games I played actually got shut down for good and I was playing it while it was still around.

This show has been amusing and has kept me entertaining and interested so I'm watching this all the way to the end.
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Spaceman Hardy wrote:

Saffire wrote:
Overlord is definitely much closer to Log Horizon than SAO.

Mainly because I can actually sit through an episode of Log Horizon or Overlord without wanting to bash my skull in from all the stupid. Mad

Curiously, I get this same feeling when dealing with SAO haters. Rolling Eyes

This, it's about a year and a half past ridiculous at this point.

Anyways, I wasn't terribly impressed with the pacing of the first episode nor was I really feeling that it was anything fresh, but the visuals are pretty and DAT ED so here we are... but it should never have taken this long to get to the 5-second glimpse of an opposing force point. All this stuff really could have been done in one, IMO.

I'm going to give it one more episode to see if stuff starts happening for real, plus DAT ED, but otherwise I'm probably out. There are a few shows this season I can tell are going to work better for me marathoned, and this is likely going to be one of them.

DAT ED THO.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see these complaints about the pacing. I wonder if this is just a difference in expectations this early on in the series.

As an unabashed fan of slice of life and character-driven shows, I personally wouldn't mind if the entire cour was just like the first two episodes. "A day in the life of an overlord" if you will.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I don't think that poses any problem, the banned term is a Western and twisted interpretation of it; meaning, Mare refers to himself as a boy dressed as a girl, and thankfully, they didn't do the fetishized portrayal of the concept like it's always done, it's mentioned just to explain any sort of confusion (though it was obvious to me) and that's it.

Hmm, surely in the cases where it is is a "fetishized portrayal of the concept" the "twisted interpretation" is often a more accurate translation; failing to translate it as such is bowdlerizing, though perhaps in the interest of sensitivity. Not here, though, where that connotation is not implied and a different translation would be better. (The Japanese word in Akiba's Trip 2 is a different one, with an even more obvious negative connotation that corresponds nearly exactly to the banned word.)
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Interesting to see these complaints about the pacing. I wonder if this is just a difference in expectations this early on in the series.

As an unabashed fan of slice of life and character-driven shows, I personally wouldn't mind if the entire cour was just like the first two episodes. "A day in the life of an overlord" if you will.

I think it is a difference in expectations, probably. The show has this whole BIG GIANT SETUP feel, but then it just kept... setting... up. For LN readers who know what's coming, it's probably easier to wait around and enjoy the ride, I'm sure.

For me, these characters aren't strong enough to carry a slice of life type show, so I'm getting impatient. There were moments of greatness, but not enough, if that makes sense. Also, I'm really burned out on "bitchy girls being bitchy because they're bitches" shows right now, and that's isn't helping. If I find myself shouting JUST SHUT UP or UGH JUST DIE at the TV, something isn't working. I instakilled that awful Sky Wizards Academy show over that crap about 3/4 through the first ep. Not that this show is anywhere near that bad or anything, but you see my point. Shocked
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I think that the current pace is working quite well for this show. In the first season of Sword Art Online, the action started pretty much immediately, since its premise had some [survival horror] elements ("you die in the VR world, you die for real"), and the characters had a weak development, IMO. Log Horizon and Overlord have some overlapping aspects, which is why the slower-paced approach works for them - there isn't any immediate pressure: in LH the characters can respawn indefinitely, in Overlord the MC isn't in any immediate danger such as starvation, dehydration, "death in VR = death for real" (although he hasn't died yet so that's remains to be seen), or similar.

Also, SAO's character were pretty much Kirito & Companion of the Day, thus it needed to move to the action scenes quickly. In this show, just like in LH, there is a main characters, but the other ones are also getting their turn in the spotlight, and it works well. The dialog feels fluid & natural (as natural as a conversation between former(?) NPCs in a VR world how are part of a Demon Lord guild can be Laughing), the comedy parts hit their marks (*when Demiurge asks Momonga why is the latter moving around discreetly and with a set of armor* "Well, there's a reason for all of this." -"So that's how it is." -"Huh?" That scene grabbed me so well I had to pause the video because I was laughing too much), and the angle of the story how what happens to a (VR) world after its "demise" is interesting and fresh, so almost any moment feels like an exploration or revelation of something new.

BTW, the premise & its execution reminds me of the Fallout franchise, and I like it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
A breath of fresh air to have a character that is evil, or atleast feels he needs to act evil because that is expected of him.

Hameyadea wrote:

You mean traps?
Kinda strange that the official subs did not translate it. I would say we that is the reason we have fansubs, but since I know the meaning of the word that would be pointless anyway.

Last edited by Rederoin on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I think it is a difference in expectations, probably. The show has this whole BIG GIANT SETUP feel, but then it just kept... setting... up. For LN readers who know what's coming, it's probably easier to wait around and enjoy the ride, I'm sure.

For me, these characters aren't strong enough to carry a slice of life type show, so I'm getting impatient. There were moments of greatness, but not enough, if that makes sense. Also, I'm really burned out on "bitchy girls being bitchy because they're bitches" shows right now, and that's isn't helping. If I find myself shouting JUST SHUT UP or UGH JUST DIE at the TV, something isn't working. I instakilled that awful Sky Wizards Academy show over that crap about 3/4 through the first ep. Not that this show is anywhere near that bad or anything, but you see my point. Shocked

You're tired of catfights? Haha

Yeah I personally find these characters strong enough this early on to support the SoL idea, just a difference in preference I'm sure. I agree with you on the Sky Wizards show, that looks capital B.A.D bad... I'll still watch it out of morbid curiosity though Confused
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
chex mix wrote:

You're tired of catfights? Haha

Yeah I personally find these characters strong enough this early on to support the SoL idea, just a difference in preference I'm sure. I agree with you on the Sky Wizards show, that looks capital B.A.D bad... I'll still watch it out of morbid curiosity though Confused

Lol, I'll always be down for a catfight. That scene totally worked. None of homegirl's other scenes do, though. For me, I mean. That whole matter of preference thing. But what I meant was the "I'm gonna be awful to you because NOT EVEN REASONS" thing that is so very, very tired. If you want to do crazy chicks, do crazy chicks, but commit to it, don't half-ass it. Same with tsunderes. It's a trope because it's tired and predictable. Do it new, or just do something new altogether.

Edit: I feel like I'm totally dogging the show completely, when it has plenty of good points, and I fully plan on staying at least another week. Just sayin. Smile

Regarding Sky Wizards...you were warned... Razz lol, I wanted to pick it up for the same reason, but it's not even it's-so-bad-it's-good bad, it's too boring for that. I was bummed. It was like if you took every LN trope ever and cooked them all in a big pot until they looked like soggy oatmeal. That's Sky Wizards Academy.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying what I've seen so far. If wikipedia is to be believed, it's only 13 episodes, which is a shame and seems like it won't be nearly enough. Hopefully it at least gets a second season.

Quote:
That the former NPCs are aware that Momonga is the only “supreme being” who chose to stay also provides some interesting considerations to chew on.

That bit caught my attention too and I'm really curious to delve in to it. It was disappointing that Momonga didn't seem to catch it, so hopefully it comes up again.

We know what "the end" was like from Momonga's & our perspectives, but what was it like for the former NPCs? Did they know something was going to happen at midnight? Were they even conscious before then? Did the world already exist that Momonga now finds himself in? What "end" were they expecting?
It's very intriguing.

John Thacker wrote:
Slow, methodical, and thorough makes it sound as if the better comparison is to Log Horizon than SAO, speaking as someone who enjoys both of those very different shows.

I haven't seen SAO, but from what I know of it and having seen LH, I would agree that it's the more comparable of the two.

Merida wrote:
Good lord, this show is taking "otaku power fantasy" to an entirely new level. Well, the title should probably have warned me, but i didn't expect it to be quite so shameless.

So our MC is a "surpreme being" and the NPCs quite litterally worship the ground he walks on, hot females are falling over themselves to get into his pants etc. etc...this should annoy the hell out of me, so why do i find it so amusing?! Perhaps it's the contrast between the MC's role as overlord and his inner voice?

It's at least understandable though from the former NPCs perspective, Momonga and the other players literally created them. To them Momonga might as well be a god.

Hameyadea wrote:
So we have the character Mare Bello Fiore, who refers to himself, in-universe, as an "otoko no ko".

Actually, Mare said that he was dressed like that because one of the players said that that was what he was. I'm not sure if the translation needs another once over, but it seems like he might not have a gender as he said that he was "supposed" to be a boy. That was an odd bit. Maybe a lot of the former players enjoyed the NPCs to have a deceiving appearance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16