• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober2049

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure why the scene resonated with me, I just felt kinda sad for Momonga when I realized that he was keeping a home for his friends just in case they decided to come back...regardless of the fact that it was incredibly unlikely they would do so.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I wasn't crazy about those scene either, even as an avid mmo player, partly because Albedo is just a program NPC, so having her beg Mo not to leave wasn't that moving since that's just what her program dictate. Partly because its the third (4th?) time we get scene of the Mo lamenting the "passing" of his comrade.

So other stuff that bother me a bit, why did Mo just up and decide to kill Shalltear? If she's mind controled, it make far more sense to track down the person who MC her and kill/have them cancel the MC. It just feel like the story is being forced in this direction to get a big fight scene.

Did you forget about the part where Albedo and the others are living, sentient beings now?
They're as much NPCs as we humans in the real world are NPCs in the eyes of God. She may have been programmed, but the moment they were transported to the new world, she and the other characters became actual sentient living beings with genuine emotions
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to see episode 11 get such a low score when, it feels like a return to form to me. We're back to using the setting and the main cast to good effect again. Plus, the show is hyping up an actual battle rather than facile slaughter.

Though, I can see how easy it is to long for more action after episode 10. After a long drought of interesting action sequences, Shalltear's massacre, and its eventual end, was actually interesting! It helps that her battle prattle is more amusing than most.

bassgs435 wrote:
Did you forget about the part where Albedo and the others are living, sentient beings now?
They're as much NPCs as we humans in the real world are NPCs in the eyes of God. She may have been programmed, but the moment they were transported to the new world, she and the other characters became actual sentient living beings with genuine emotions

You know, I wish the show made more of this perspective. It's there but only as a partial skeleton. Maybe given enough time this element would actually be fleshed out, but I don't see it happening in what little time is left.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So other stuff that bother me a bit, why did Mo just up and decide to kill Shalltear? If she's mind controled, it make far more sense to track down the person who MC her and kill/have them cancel the MC. It just feel like the story is being forced in this direction to get a big fight scene.

What leads does he have on who's responsible at this point? Also, he can't run the risk of the perpetrator showing up again and actually giving her orders that could send her on a counterproductive rampage. And if worst comes to worst, battling and killing Shalltear would still serve his purpose of furthering Momon's reputation. Besides, he could be reasoning that battling Shalltear could entice out the perpetrator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:

What leads does he have on who's responsible at this point? Also, he can't run the risk of the perpetrator showing up again and actually giving her orders that could send her on a counterproductive rampage. And if worst comes to worst, battling and killing Shalltear would still serve his purpose of furthering Momon's reputation. Besides, he could be reasoning that battling Shalltear could entice out the perpetrator.

Looking at Shalltear's battle, think it was a matter of two bullets passing each other. Shalltear killed the caster of the spell, skill, or item; at the same time the mind control effect hit Shalltear.

Question though is, why Shalltear is still there. There were lots of adventurers still alive. Especially since the adventurers were not there for Shalltear, but for the mercenary bandits hiding in the caves. If Shalltear is a trap, then whose trap is it? Why would the adventurers even think Shalltear had higher level support and if it wasn't the adventurers, then why are they working in concert with others who might not be amiable to the Overlord. Shalltear would have been taken back to the Guild as treasure, but she wasn't.......

Lots of questions still hanging in the air.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
What's with the low score? This was easily one of my favorite episodes of this show so far. It was a return to form with poignant nostalgia on Ains' part, a show of genuine emotion, interesting world-building, actually funny comedy in the form of Pandora's Actor, and *gasp* Ains actually being legitimately frustrated and threatened by an unforeseen situation. It might help that I wasn't actually a huge fan of last episode. For me, Overlord is at it's most compelling in its quieter, more contemplative moments, or when Ains is being a badass. This episode was plenty of the former, and even though Ains wasn't so much badass, he was well-handled and intriguing, so it gets a high score in my book.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

How do you know killing a person who use world item will cancel out mc? It doesn'the make sense to me.
How do you find that person?
Ains left Sebas outside, but called everybody back. I think the reason is to find the person. You can do two things at the same time.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Question though is, why Shalltear is still there. There were lots of adventurers still alive. Especially since the adventurers were not there for Shalltear, but for the mercenary bandits hiding in the caves. If Shalltear is a trap, then whose trap is it? Why would the adventurers even think Shalltear had higher level support and if it wasn't the adventurers, then why are they working in concert with others who might not be amiable to the Overlord. Shalltear would have been taken back to the Guild as treasure, but she wasn't.......

I was thinking about that at the time the episode aired, too. My guess is that it's the same reason why Momonga retreated to gather powerful items rather than try to pick up Shalltear and take her back to Nazarick: under that type of mental control, a victim defaults to protecting herself vigorously in the absence of other commands.

After all, that seems like a very game mechanic-like reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:

Yeah, except those emotion have been programmed that way, so w/e. It's not like Momo earned them, they were just there regardless, overtime as the NPC actually learned more about him they might just come to realize that they don't actually even like him.

As for fighting Shalltear, there's just so many more option he could try, instead he goes straight to killing her as if he was running out of time. Which again clash with his supposed devotion to the NPC "I promise I'll never abandon you, but if you get MC I'll try one things and if it fail I'll kill you". He didn't even try to use an item to find the source of the MC (I think he used an item like that to find the necromancer earlier?). Finding the group who fought also shouldn't be that hard, people are gonna talk about the time the monster vampire fought and killed a bunch of them. He could be doing to it to draw the people who did the MC, but then why tell Albedo he's gonna kill Shalltear?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
bassgs435 wrote:

Yeah, except those emotion have been programmed that way, so w/e. It's not like Momo earned them, they were just there regardless, overtime as the NPC actually learned more about him they might just come to realize that they don't actually even like him.

As for fighting Shalltear, there's just so many more option he could try, instead he goes straight to killing her as if he was running out of time. Which again clash with his supposed devotion to the NPC "I promise I'll never abandon you, but if you get MC I'll try one things and if it fail I'll kill you". He didn't even try to use an item to find the source of the MC (I think he used an item like that to find the necromancer earlier?). Finding the group who fought also shouldn't be that hard, people are gonna talk about the time the monster vampire fought and killed a bunch of them. He could be doing to it to draw the people who did the MC, but then why tell Albedo he's gonna kill Shalltear?

When he searched for the necromancer (or to be more precise clementine) he had an object that she owned which is what he used to track her down. The group the mind controlled Shalltear most likely took any evidence with them. He can't search for someone if he has no clues to lead him to them. Furthermore, the enemy owns a world item that can control even his guardians, even if he knew where they were he has no idea what other powers/tools they have, if he just rushes to attack them he or his other guardians could be mind controlled as well.

Killing Shalltear is the fastest way to resolve the problem, he doesn't know she killed the person who mind controlled her, so he's worried that the enemy will use her to get information on him and the other guardians as well as user her against them.

There are a few more reasons why he chooses to kill shalltear but those won't come out till later.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
When he searched for the necromancer (or to be more precise clementine) he had an object that she owned which is what he used to track her down. The group the mind controlled Shalltear most likely took any evidence with them. He can't search for someone if he has no clues to lead him to them. Furthermore, the enemy owns a world item that can control even his guardians, even if he knew where they were he has no idea what other powers/tools they have, if he just rushes to attack them he or his other guardians could be mind controlled as well.

Killing Shalltear is the fastest way to resolve the problem, he doesn't know she killed the person who mind controlled her, so he's worried that the enemy will use her to get information on him and the other guardians as well as user her against them.

There are a few more reasons why he chooses to kill shalltear but those won't come out till later.

I had forgotten that he track the item not to person, I guess that make sense. Still if a bunch of people in possession of world class item were to suffer casualty, that would make some wave in the world. It shouldn't be hard to track them down. And its not like there actively interrogating Shalltear she's just standing there, he can just keep an eye on her with his item while he search for the people responsible. If they ever try anything he would immediately know who they were and would have more than enough strength to stop them then. We know the druid can move earth and stuff so he could even just partially bury her or something similar to stop people from stumbling on her.

Also, I might be misremembering again, but doesn't he possessed item that can resurrect people. It's not like there rare in mmorpg, so couldn't he just kill then res her?
ZhonLord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:59 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also, I might be misremembering again, but doesn't he possessed item that can resurrect people. It's not like there rare in mmorpg, so couldn't he just kill then res her?

She was technically brought back from the dead once already by becoming undead - she's a vampire after all. We don't know the mechanics of how undeath works in Yggdrasil or in this world, it may be that one of the things undead trade off for their benefits is the inability to be resurrected directly by items.

Or it could be that a resurrection item is exactly what Momonga plans. By killing her, all status effects are forcefully removed - world items or otherwise. Then he could resurrect her safely.
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
Every time I want to like this show, it gives me an episode like this, and I remember why it pisses me off, because this should be so much better than it is. I bet if the junk was cleaned out of this show's ears, we'd have enough room left for a whole arc in there. Dammit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12, I figured they would split the fight between two episodes. Unfortunately I also figured that they would not have the opportunity to explain just what is happening when they use their skills, unlike in the novel. For example, the last spell he used (spoiler tags just in case)

spoiler[That final spell that he used is a unique spell that is part of a special class that can only be used if you put 95 out of a 100 class levels into necromancer, eclipse. It essentially an insta kill spell that completely erases everything around you in a 200 meter radius, even non-living objects like shalltear's trump card weapon will die, it's also why the ground turned to sand because all organic materials in it died. unfortunately the anime can't really explain all that so it feels a bit anti-climactic]

anyway, I do hope they do a season 2, I actually noticed that in the opening there are scenes from the later chapters. Guess it will depend on how popular this season is
ZhonLord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Episode 12, I figured they would split the fight between two episodes. Unfortunately I also figured that they would not have the opportunity to explain just what is happening when they use their skills.

I was able to follow what everything did pretty well even without explanations. You underestimate how much the animation itself can get across. spoiler[The ticking clock made it pretty clear it was going to release something HUGE if it wasn't stopped in that time limit, and everything turning to sand/dust afterward was practically screaming "Mass Disintegrate". I was completely floored when I saw the aftermath.]

Regardless, I loved the interaction between Momonga and Shalltear both before and during the battle. Even when turned against him, she still finds a way to give him the same level of respect as before. The whole fight was memorable and enjoyable, and I'm very much looking forward to what happens when Momonga swaps that robe for his many God-Tier items and goes full-on steamroller mode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16