• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. TV Channel Chiller Runs Anime Block on Wednesdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maoyen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh wow. I know Shiki has a slow start and all, but surely that would have been a better "horror" selection than Is this a Zombie.

Agreed. "Another" also would've been a good choice
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Chiller isn't available for me. Dang it!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

It reminds me of Tenchi Muyo GXP being on Toonami. They had no idea it would be that kind of show Razz

I don't know about that. There was an ANNcast with the guy who helps pick shows for Toonami, and he seemed pretty on the ball. Plus, he has been watching anime long enough to know the name Tenchi Muyo, and Toonami previously aired other Tenchi Muyo properties, so I think they knew exactly what they were getting.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm just curious how Is this a Zombie made it in there. It has monsters in it, which fits for Chiller, but it is decidedly out of the normal context for that network. I almost wonder if Funimation didn't just throw it in on a list of shows with monsters without any expectation that Chiller would actually take it.

Looking at the show that airs right before Is this a Zombie, I don't think ITAZ stands out as much as some people say. Todd and the Book of Pure Evil seems like a tongue in cheek series for the most part so something like ITAZ may not be as odd as people think by just looking at the list of anime Chiller is showing.

Greed1914 wrote:

I don't know about that. There was an ANNcast with the guy who helps pick shows for Toonami, and he seemed pretty on the ball. Plus, he has been watching anime long enough to know the name Tenchi Muyo, and Toonami previously aired other Tenchi Muyo properties, so I think they knew exactly what they were getting.

Jason DeMarco does watch plenty of anime but some of the choices are odd ones, Tenchi GXP was one of the biggest oddities. They were hoping that just having the name "Tenchi" would get viewers for GXP but that obviously didn't happen and he has admitted that was a mistake.
Grungehamster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
I forgot to mention the Devil May Cry anime isn't that bad either. I mean it's canonically between dmc 3 and 4 on the timeline. Plus it's animated by Madhouse.

I've never played any DMC, couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters, and barely remember the series plot... but damn if the episode with Mermaid Rock wasn't worth the price of admission alone. It mixed the song with the narrative so well it gave me Cowboy Bebop flashbacks.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
To anyone who managed to catch the first night, any edits?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tobeast777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well... I like Black Blood brothers! Always happy to have US channels play anime though.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
Is there any reason why anime blocks are airing at a time in which most people are asleep? First it's the revived Toonami, and now it's Chiller's anime block. Why not air it from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am?
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Is there any reason why anime blocks are airing at a time in which most people are asleep? First it's the revived Toonami, and now it's Chiller's anime block. Why not air it from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am?

Probably because anime can't pull enough ratings at those hours. With Toonami it airing at midnight Saturdays is probably the best thing for the block, since people can stay up later on Saturdays.

For Chiller, midnight on Wednesdays is going to be a little tougher to get people to stay up late and watch it.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Devil May Cry's my favorite in the line-up. Black Blood Brothers comes in second, but would be better suited for Toonami. Is This a Zombie? provided some balance to the block, but is too weird. Tokyo Majin is clichéd.

Edit: Based on first episodes only.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It looks as though the anime Chiller block might be canceled. Looked up the schedule and its been replaced with something else. Hoping for maybe a special thing and it'll be back next week.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Devil May Cry's my favorite in the line-up. Black Blood Brothers comes in second, but would be better suited for Toonami. Is This a Zombie? provided some balance to the block, but is too weird. Tokyo Majin is clichéd.

Edit: Based on first episodes only.

ITaZ? at least has a quirky sense of harem comedy humor, or indeed any humor, which is something otherwise not found on US cable anime, except for isolated moments on the fight anime.
Although yes, it doesn't make too much more sense as it goes on (I'm halfway through and even I don't know what the heck it's about--They keep making up the plot arc as they go along!), and may be a little too weird for the horror audience who, yes, probably would watch Devil May Cry instead.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it appears it's already been yanked, probably due to absurdly low ratings (18-49s did especially bad in Week 2).
http://www.chillertv.com/schedule/1438747200
Well, that was fun while it lasted. If the timeslot was the problem, they could always try 3:30 AM Saturday nights, piggybacking off of Toonami's weekly "LATER" end...
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Very unfortunate. I think a later Saturday slot like you said would be ideal. Was hoping for some success, as maybe it could have led to Toonami or another to have more anime during the week. Then again, Syi-Fi channel showed it wouldn't turn out too well, I suppose. I hope to see BBB on Toonami at least. Could have more potential there.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
A Friday night slot would have worked just fine I thin k instead of trying to ride the Toonami wave or compete with Toonami on the same night.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5