• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gangsta.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portgas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
As stupid as quite a few people think this is, it pretty much follows the manga. In fact, the anime is clearer since it cut out some of the humor which really detracted from the tone and sense of the story,

As far as the animation goes, the art style will limit what they can do. The only manga that could possible be worse for animation is Dorohedoro which is probably why we haven't seen one.
portgas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
LiteKnite wrote:
And then there was Charlotte which the hero traveled the world and became the Reaper all in 20 minutes. Now that was gangsta.

In Charlotte, I thought it was JC and Saint Sebastian!!!!!
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
After this episode ended, I gaped and stared, and said (out loud) "That can't be it." But it was. That was some Deadman Wonderland-level ending bullshit. I can't even.

And the sad part is, this was a great episode, but an awful final episode. Had this happened earlier in the show, it would have been really good, but it happened at the end and therefore is horrendously disappointing.

Ultimately, though, the saddest part is that in this episode, I saw the glimpses of the great show Gangsta could have been. It's a shame it didn't become that instead.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought this show had great potential. I loved the idea, the character designs, the music, and the setup, all of which could go places in an uncommon adult anime.

What I got was animation that went terribly off kilter at points, great characters who were underused or forgotten, lame ideas and characters brought in that looked like they should have been in some futuristic shounen anime, and a story with threads that seemed slapped together because nothing was holding them together coherently.

It may be that the final story will take care of that last problem. But as it is now, the story flails around looking for meaning. They should not have made an anime of it this soon.

But none of this forgives them of the lame circus crew enemies and the way they're simply ignoring Nic and the way they create and destroy characters without giving us reason or time to invest in them.

All this makes for an anime that started on a high and completely failed to live up to its promise.
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
It just felt that all, ALL the character development that we got from Worick and Nico's past was just there to tell us that there are people who like to kill Twilights, and nothing else. That's the only connection I can make for this arc. If there's a second season, then count me in, but if there isn't, then go to hell. Tokyo Ghoul's adaptation at least made me care about the characters and relationships, which was enough for me to go to the store and buy the manga and start reading it, but Gangsta. did the opposite.

Just like Gabriella, I started to like the "new" main characters, especially Loretta, but at the same time I just couldn't care less about all of them. I started confusing between Delico and Worick, forgetting about the characters' names and simply not caring for anyone anymore.

It is sad it turned out into this messy story, and here's hoping there's a 2nd season that can make me care about the characters again.

Quote:
Striker – the member of the Destroyers who looks like a cross between Greed and Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist

He seemed to me more like a vicious, not funny at all Deadpool. Laughing
Zeres

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
I forgot I even watched the last episode. I was surprised to see this review. This says something about the show.
Its such a shame though, as the first episode was good.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to like Gangsta. more than I actually ended up caring. While the manga is definitely better than the anime adaptation, like Gabriella Ekens said in her finale episode review, some of the issues with the series are definitely native to the manga. The main one being, as Ekens says, is that Kohske "tries to do too much too soon" with the series. Like, just as Delico's sister and the homicidal kid are introduced as antagonists, the Destroyers then immediately get introduced as another set of antagonists.
It's like if Bleach had immediately jumped to the Soul Society arc without having had the initial Karakura Town arc that let us get to know the characters first.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
This season had quite a few weird (non-)endings, but Gangsta easily tops them all...and it never made me care enough to actually want to pick up the manga, so it failed in that department as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
It pretty much failed as an ending. It kind of reminds me of a discussion that happened in universe in universe of the show Shirobako. An anime can often either stay total true to its source material which leaves it with no conclusion, or it could actually diverge a bit and give a satisfying ending for the anime. The best answer would be able to do both, but number one really shows it as just an advertisement for the source material and personally poisons it a bit.

As an anime fan in general I just don't like the no ending anime, and this might be among the worst I have seen. It is not even a battles will go on, but lets ending without anyone having a satisfying stopping point. The integrity of the source material is not worth this.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
When I watched the final episode, my first reaction was...

"Well, either there will be a second season or this ending is truly idiotic".
I mean, the battles are half-started, characters lost everywhere, and they waste a whole week doing a "9.5" summary episode! (which we're told it means "we got problems with the production"). So maybe the plan was advance a bit more into the story before the ending. Maybe the figures didn't sum up.

In any case, Gangsta. wasn't bad in story, tone or characters (nothing specially original, too). But it could've been better.

Last edited by kgw on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
I think it's good. Not the best this season, but not as bad as the reviewer writes.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Gangsta was one of my favorite shows this season. I loved the characters and the atmosphere. Even secondary characters like Doug, Monroe and Loretta, I thought they were all great. But the last two episodes really killed it. First with the introduction of the circus villains that had no place in the more down-to-earth world the series had created (and they only made it worse with the explanation that conveniently "they're just as strong as Twilights but without the addictions and without the compensation").
Quote:

And the sad part is, this was a great episode, but an awful final episode. Had this happened earlier in the show, it would have been really good, but it happened at the end and therefore is horrendously disappointing.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. This would've been great as an episode 10 or 11, the prelude to the final battle, but as a final episode it was a disaster
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. This would've been great as an episode 10 or 11, the prelude to the final battle, but as a final episode it was a disaster

Seriously, can we get an OVA or something? Please? I never expected a second season, or a fully satisfying conclusion, but most shows at least try to wrap up the current arc, or end after some kind of satisfying character growth. This didn't even make an attempt. God, that was irritating.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The last episode (I can't call it the ending) was so abrupt that it felt like either the creators know something different from what we think we know about continuing this, or they just said, "You're not buying the releases? Well then f*** it."
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching this show after the first episode. I had considered watching more because it seemed to have some amount of potential, but I was disappointed already that early on by the heavy reliance on the damsel in distress and abuse of prostitutes themes as "character building" tools for the main guys. That kind of sloppy set up left me uninspired and I never brought myself around to watch any more of the show.

Also, the inconsistent use of the deaf guy's condition made it seem more like a gimmick to make him "cool" more than a real consideration of such a character trait.

I would watch Baccano again before watching Gangsta, which says a little bit, because I had a love/hate relationship with Baccano.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9