Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DontmesswithKarma



Joined: 07 May 2015
Posts: 491
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
One of my personal favs of the season. If it wasn't for Charlotte it would be my fav..... i've always had a very unusual taste in anime so this is my type of series through and through
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ergo Proxy



Joined: 30 Mar 2015
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, now that review is subjective...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justsomeaccount



Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 471
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
^ As every review in the universe because objective reviews don't exist.

I only saw two episodes of this and the first one I thought it was okay, but the second with the resolution of the first case killed it dead for me. I'll say, as a pro, that the humorous tone that celebrates the emotions of these fucked up characters is cool (the music and execution plays like their emotions about creepy stuff are genuine and we should feel their joy/pain, I love that irony).

However, they still lack charm, the dialogue is veeery mediocre, and as Rebecca said, this is a mistery show but they don't give you anything to try to resolve it by yourself or at least enough to not feel like they just make up stuff in the moment to come to such conclusion. Everything was the main character suspect guessing things, telling sudden important information we didn't know before, and jumping from faaar beyond covenient conclusion to another convenient conclusion. There's no satisfaction when they resolve it, and that killed it for me. A shame because exploitative guro stuff in anime treated as middle of the road is uncommon, but there's no charm to it for me to enjoy it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brand



Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 1015
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two so far, I was really into the first episode and it made me really excited for the show. The second episode was kind of a huge let down. I didn't like the turn for the humorous at all. Felt like it ruined all the tension. And I do feel like the resolution kind of came out of nowhere.

I really felt like the story was going to be 4 episodes long at the start so when they finished it in two, I was kind of shocked. It felt very truncated to me.

It hasn't lost me yet, I'll watch a few more episodes but I guess we will see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DontmesswithKarma



Joined: 07 May 2015
Posts: 491
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
^ As every review in the universe because objective reviews don't exist.

I only saw two episodes of this and the first one I thought it was okay, but the second with the resolution of the first case killed it dead for me. I'll say, as a pro, that the humorous tone that celebrates the emotions of these fucked up characters is cool (the music and execution plays like their emotions about creepy stuff are genuine and we should feel their joy/pain, I love that irony).

However, they still lack charm, the dialogue is veeery mediocre, and as Rebecca said, this is a mistery show but they don't give you anything to try to resolve it by yourself or at least enough to not feel like they just make up stuff in the moment to come to such conclusion. Everything was the main character suspect guessing things, telling sudden important information we didn't know before, and jumping from faaar beyond covenient conclusion to another convenient conclusion. There's no satisfaction when they resolve it, and that killed it for me. A shame because exploitative guro stuff in anime treated as middle of the road is uncommon, but there's no charm to it for me to enjoy it.


The main reason why people wont enjoy it is because of its purpose. This is to celebrate Ranpo's 50th passing. There basically using all his traits in this series, alot of his characters, etc. And the first 2 episodes adapted one of his books, episode 3 was a short story i think.
I can see your point. But i loved this. The dialogue entertains me, which means its getting the job done, the direction is nice, which means its getting its job done. And to be perfectly honest i prefer this to another harem of the week show. So i dont care about mediocre dialogue and what not, once i can enjoy the crap out of a series i dont give a hoot if the dialogue is meh, etc.
(please do note that my taste in anime is very..... unusal and i do think that your right if i were to go serious about this, but i found out with UBW that tearing apart an episode just destroys my experience of a show.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BronxCritc



Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I dropped this after two episodes. I was really excited about this, because I love seeing a good mystery, but the case at the center of the first two episodes was very mediocre, and it didn't help that I didn't find any of the characters interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HamoodSolid



Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
man i watched 3 episodes so far, and I'm already hooked. Its one of the best detective animes from what i have seen so far.Episode 3 was really better than the first two, so I only see this show getting better.
ANN reviews always bad, they say a good show is bad, while a bad show is good.The reviewer is making his review based on Ranpo Kitan who lived along time ago and he doesn't like it because the anime does not represent him well.ARE YOU KIDDING ME.
idk about this Ranpo Kitan , he should be honored that a good show like this was dedicated to him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
octopodpie
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 1753
Location: Washington State
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the original novels so I'm surprised to find out the detectives were originally kids, given the exceptionally weak "twist" in episode two. I haven't watched three yet, but I wasn't impressed with the "well actually I was sleeping with my pedo-murderer teacher." I would have found it more believable if the those involved with the teacher were older and everyone was aged up somewhat. At least, his furniture didn't look like it was made out of prepubescent children.

I feel like this show would improve greatly if it had any of the mood or nuance of say, Boogiepop Phantom but as is, none of the revelations in the first case have any thematic weight at all.

I was hugely disappointed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea



Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Episodes #1-3:

After watching 3 episodes, I thought that while this show have some aspects that overlap with Psycho-Pass (especially that a main character is voiced by Sakurai Takahiro), their similarities is less in the grotesque cases per se, and more about the middle part, i.e. the journey. Yes the show started with the Human Chair case, but this second incident (episode #3) was shown in a lower tone, while the presentation remained largely the same. And I love it.

I find the narrative of playing out the events as if they took place on a theatre stage to be rather engaging and a good change of pace & shape amidst the "talking heads exposition" commonly used. It also helps delivering the content (and context) of the events to the audience in a clearer way than "Person A performed Action C in Time F, Person B performed Action G in Time D".

Another nice thing is that each episode is available in the weekend, new episodes of Ansatsu Kyōshitsu were also available during the weekend, and since the art style & character designs are very similar (I mean, beyond the level of both being produced by the same studio), to me it feels like I'm still watching AK, but the story of another class in the school, so that's cool. Smile


Last edited by Hameyadea on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 582
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
HamoodSolid wrote:
man i watched 3 episodes so far, and I'm already hooked. Its one of the best detective animes from what i have seen so far.Episode 3 was really better than the first two, so I only see this show getting better.
ANN reviews always bad, they say a good show is bad, while a bad show is good.The reviewer is making his review based on Ranpo Kitan who lived along time ago and he doesn't like it because the anime does not represent him well.ARE YOU KIDDING ME.
idk about this Ranpo Kitan , he should be honored that a good show like this was dedicated to him


Um, first off, work on grammar.

Secondly, Rebecca Silverman is a woman.

Finally, if you think ANN reviews are always so bad, why would you read this one?

There's more I can say, but I'll just leave it at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1416
Location: Europa
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Um, first off, work on grammar.

Secondly, Rebecca Silverman is a woman.

Finally, if you think ANN reviews are always so bad, why would you read this one?

There's more I can say, but I'll just leave it at that.

You criticize somebodies grammar and yet you type like that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blankslate



Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Posts: 404
Location: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1: Good, not great. Interesting enough to keep watching. Rating: Hmmmm
Episode 2: Deflated all of the tension built up in the first episode and instead takes a hunerous turn. Rating: Sigh
Episode 3: The best episode so far! The only part that irked me was the melodrama during the scenes taking place in a hospital.Rating: Approving smile-and-nod.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 582
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Um, first off, work on grammar.

Secondly, Rebecca Silverman is a woman.

Finally, if you think ANN reviews are always so bad, why would you read this one?

There's more I can say, but I'll just leave it at that.

You criticize somebodies grammar and yet you type like that?


There's nothing wrong with it.

There is, however, something wrong with the way you spelled "somebody's". Cool

FYI, if you're gonna try and go after me, I'll do the same to you.

Now let's just drop it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1901
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rampo Edogawa (say his name family name first and it sounds a bit like “Edgar Allen Poe”)

This always sounded so silly to me.

As for the show, I'm liking it. I was pretty on the fence after episode 2 but 3 was pretty good, so I'm sticking with it unless they throw some multiple stinkers one after the other. I really liked how Kobayashi sees the world, and I find it also an effective way to save on budget and not use the dreaded CG-crowd, plus it fits with his personality - which I find interesting if a bit unnerving. Akechi on the other hand is boring as hell, as is the main character's friend who's there to act surprised at things and embarrassed at other things and just generally drag the show down.
I've never been a real fan of the mystery genre, however, so I really don't know how it fares on that regard. I think the only other mystery thing I've read and enjoyed would be Zaregoto, but that's much more because of the characters and dialogue than any mystery itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bassgs435



Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 215
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I haven't read the original novels so I'm surprised to find out the detectives were originally kids, given the exceptionally weak "twist" in episode two. I haven't watched three yet, but I wasn't impressed with the "well actually I was sleeping with my pedo-murderer teacher." I would have found it more believable if the those involved with the teacher were older and everyone was aged up somewhat. At least, his furniture didn't look like it was made out of prepubescent children.

I feel like this show would improve greatly if it had any of the mood or nuance of say, Boogiepop Phantom but as is, none of the revelations in the first case have any thematic weight at all.

I was hugely disappointed.

This is better than BP, though
BP was boring as hell (I literally fell asleep on some episodes before dropping it)
This is at least entertaining, if nothing else
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group