• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
This is the episode you make when you have a run time to fill but not enough plot. Though arguments could be made that its better to have a throw away episode then repeating the same material for several episodes in a row. This is a forgettable episode with a few chuckles to be had, but that's it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
Definitely one of the better episodes of this show.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
This episode is titled after a Ranpo standalone novel, A Glimpse into Hell (Jigoku Fūkei , 地獄風景), published between 1931-1932.

I haven't been able to find any English sources on the novel's plot, and Wikipedia notes that it's never been translated into English. Will try to find more info.

Next week's episode, Panorama Island, should be interesting, since its source novel has also received a faithful manga adaptation courtesy of ero-guro mangaka Suehiro Maruo. It's also available in English too!
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
This episode is titled after a Ranpo standalone novel, A Glimpse into Hell (Jigoku Fūkei , 地獄風景), published between 1931-1932.

I haven't been able to find any English sources on the novel's plot, and Wikipedia notes that it's never been translated into English. Will try to find more info.

Next week's episode, Panorama Island, should be interesting, since its source novel has also received a faithful manga adaptation courtesy of ero-guro mangaka Suehiro Maruo. It's also available in English too!

Panorama Island is my favorite Ranpo novel, and I think the manga is rad too. Just knowing the title of the episode makes me super hyped. I love this show
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode #6:

Oh, those Metal Gear Solid references Laughing I chuckled quite a bit during this episode, and when the main objective was, somehow, changed from "how to evacuate and area safely" to "how to make Kage Otoko to agree to take all the robbers with him," the retort of Kage Otoko elevated the scene's humor a few notches.

Also, this show will probably end in episode #11, since the 5th home-media volume is the only one that will contain 3 episodes.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode and not just because I really enjoyed the humor. I think it's a lot better than the reviewer is giving it credit for.

It's certainly less dense/less of a plot driver than previous episodes but this is probably going to be for the better of the pacing of the series as a whole.

More importantly, I like that a lot of detail and characterization was still stuck in the episode:
- Kobayashi calling Akechi a monster over not taking in a cat in what I believe may be the first time I've heard him actually judge another character.
- Akechi's plan saving everyone but those he seems to consider disposable.
- Kobayashi's expression after the mother turns back in to a solid-color person indicating that he might be seeing some flaws in his worldview.
- The Shadow Man's familiarity with Akechi indicating a third criminal who has personal ties with him. Come to think of it, the only case Akechi has actually solved on this show was one where someone close to him was the perpetrator.
- Hashiba repeatedly displaying a dangerous lack of foresight.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

Someone was kind enough to help me translate a plot summary of the source Ranpo novel which this episode is (supposedly) based upon.
"Jirou Uemon is a younger member of a great family. He builds a strange pleasure-garden in which various amusements are installed. From time to time he invites friends over who like such novelties. On one occasion, a friend of Jirou's is stabbed to death while he is in the labyrinth, and the police come to investigate. While they are investigating, three more of his friends are killed, in various places. The police think Jirou's dwarf butler is the guilty party, but the butler then drowns in a pond. Jirou ignores others' exhortations and continues to hold big carnivals in the pleasure garden, inviting even more people. During his last carnival, Jirou admits his own guilt, and reveals his true bestial nature by massacring all the friends he has invited. In the end, however, we discover that all these events have been Jirou's dream."
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Definitely one of the better episodes of this show.

I actually loved it as well. Also, these episodes are (usually) the breather episodes, before everything gets tense.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought Kobayashi was gonna rail on the mom for abandoning the baby, or refuse to give it back and have her arrested for child abandonment, or SOMETHING. Instead, apparently the whole punchline was... Black Lizard peeing herself over the phone. Meh.

I did like the direction with her fading back into shadow, as well as the various escape plans and the post-credits scene.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show...

Ep 1: Hey, this looks interesting...
Ep 2: Wut?
Ep 3: Ok, not so bad
Ep 4: Pretty Good, but the damn ME is back
Ep 5: This is more like it
Ep 6: F You! but hey, at least the ME wasn't in it...

It's like it actively wants to be riding the line of me dropping it...
bobob101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Quick edit note: you say Kogami when it should be Kagami.

Panorama Island is the kind if vacation you go on when you don't care whether or not your vacation permanently scares you. The novella, Suehiro Maruo adaptation, and the mostly related movie Island of the Malformed Man are all exercises in desires gone wild, to ridiculous effects. I am the kind of person who needs like 50 screenshots of this episode because so many visual details need to be absorbed. I almost care less about the culprit and more about seeing this fantasy island of debauchery.

...I may have made similar noises to Black Lizard watching this show.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I've always felt that both the medical examiner and Black Lizard (complete with her habit of wetting herself) have fit fine in the show's carnival of the strange atmosphere. Panorama island is just the first that this atmosphere has been so relatively literal. I seem to be the only one really enjoying the ME though.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Reviewer gives A-, fan vote is C. Quite a gap lol. I don't find this show clever, particularly well written, or very entertaining.... Looks like I'm not alone, this must be another Samurai Flamenco where you either like it or you don't.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I like the 8th episode but the vagueness on which they treated the formula made it look more like an asspull. I know such equation is a work of fantasy so it would be hard for them to make it look like it can be exclaimed logically, but they might have at least try to explain more directly how it works?

That told us they were studying chaos theory and methods of prediction, but even if they reached some sort of conclusion on paper, they never really told us what actual action was it that they did that causes twenty faces to spawn
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
^
I suspect more detail is probably coming later on, as they're probably important to how the story will end.

AholePony wrote:
Reviewer gives A-, fan vote is C. Quite a gap lol. I don't find this show clever, particularly well written, or very entertaining.... Looks like I'm not alone, this must be another Samurai Flamenco where you either like it or you don't.

I'm solidly on the like it side, but this show has struck me from the start as a show for a set of relatively specific tastes. The changes to the stories may have been aiming to update the stories for a modern audience, but I don't think there was any real attempt to be populist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5