• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Prison School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
Kiyoshi is probably screwed. He disgusted the girl he likes, didn't get gakuto's figures (which he publicly pooped and peed himself for), and probably extended their sentences. At least he has nothing left to lose.

On another note, I hope the girls start getting disgusted by the actions of the student council. I mean they did a bad thing but the punishment goes well beyond the crime and is already in violation of many laws. Not sure if they would bear any legal responsibility for not reporting clearly unlawful behavior repeatedly, but they certainly bear some moral responsibility. Perhaps a few times witnessing such behavior and being silent is ok, but at some point witness become responsible for not reporting such behavior. Though due to the student council's penchant for violence, I imagine any dissidents will be met with repression, and silence at that point seems reasonable, dissident or otherwise.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Jboogie86 wrote:
The manga is absolutely amazing, but the first episode is paced waay too quickly.

True. However I wouldn't say it's a bad adaptation even if the manga is the most hilarious thing that I already read. Something that I would like to added is that I am truly satisfied by the result of the episode 3 and 4. Even ANN reviewer gave A- and A in these episodes.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This episode to me is more of a setup for what's to come next. If you thought things couldn't have gone worse, they surely will.

Fortunately, the animators seem more accustomed to the style of the anime, off-model shots are less recurrent and overall it just looks better than before.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(It's noticeably incongruous that the student council admits they don't have the power to expel students despite having the authority to imprison them, but this world rarely makes any logical sense.)

This struck me as odd, too. "We can subject them to physical and psychological torture and confine them to cells, but expulsion? Let's not get carried away!" Still, trying to apply real-world logic to this series surely won't do me any favors.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's that weird that they don't have the authority to expell students. As the student council I guess they have authority over discipline (what with how uber-powerful anime/manga student councils tend to be), but expelling someone is a different question.

That said, I think we should remember that they're the Shadow Student Council, which to me implies that there's an actual, official student council in the school, as well.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Although it's a bit spoiler-ish, I think it's fair to explain that there IS an actual, formal Student Council (nicknamed Aboveground, opposed to the Underground). I don't remember if it's shown in the anime but Mari is the 40th president of the Underground Student Council (or USC), which enforces draconian rules that date back to the very foundation of the school. That either means the USC exists since then, or it was founded after a new Student Council was formed, that (along as why it still exists) is unknown.

Also, the roles of both Student Councils are divided, however the USC is technically more powerful, since they have power to decide school trips and extracurricular activities (including the Prison) and have way more influence and importance in the school. Meanwhile the ASC just has power over clubs and is not that influent.

By the way, I think Hana's threat to Kiyoshi should have been included, but whatever.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I suppose if I can suspend enough disbelief to buy that expulsion is a less desirable punishment than imprisonment, I shouldn't be weirded out by the Shadow Student Council's inability to kick kids out of school.

I had actually forgotten about the "shadow" part until you guys reminded me.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It seems they are trying really hard to do an average of seven manga chapters per episode, i am not gonna complaint though, i think they have been doing a great work adapting this.

My main issue with episode five is the sound effect for meiko's sweating, i think it was too exaggerated (and unnecessarily gross), something more subtle could have expressed better the nature of the situation (she was feeling anxious over not knowing if she should point out the president's mistake).
On the other hand i loved the direction on hana's come back scene. That music was great choice for the trade mark facial shots and camera angles that define her scenes. It felt even more exciting than in the manga, although the voice director could have tried asking kana hanasawa to sound a little bit more menacing from the get go
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Prison School is giving Gintama a run for its money in the "disturbing objects shoved up characters' butts" department.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nevertheless, this might be one of the only pieces of prison fiction where the jailers are eager to get rid of their prisoners

...and where the prisoners are just as eager to stay since expulsion is a fate far worse than daily abuse, apparently.

I think you need to throw all logic out of the window in order to enjoy this show, but once you've done that, it's a pretty fun ride. Laughing
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Most fanservice-driven shows just use the fanservice as a cheap substitute for the rare and expensive talent that would be needed to write funny jokes and an interesting plot. They know that human urges being what they are, they'll be guaranteed a modest success without taking any chances. I think Prison School takes the trouble to have a little class, that is, to include a decent story and fairly good jokes. It doesn't patronize us like most fanservice-driven shows do, because it isn't driven entirely by the fanservice. That virtually puts it in a different class. Perhaps most telling of all, I don't feel dirty after watching it. Maybe you can't feel dirty if you've been doing some laughing.
kid_nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
I don't watch this show but the comment under the thumbnail to this was too funny Very Happy Smile Laughing
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I particularly loved the hemorrhoids scene, the sunlight effect, the music, the really nice illustration (seriously, the overall drawing is just getting better even if it's not manga style), I'm hoping for more like that next week.

Also, I don't think you have to throw away any logic to watch Prison School. So far, the only unlogical aspect is the prison itself, since no school should be allowed to have one (Foucault's would like to comment but he's not here).

Since the prison is unreal, it's only obvious it's rules are special. Let's put it like this: there are two student councils, the one we know in the anime so far is the Underground one, this has power over extracurricular activities and school trips, extracurricular implies that they have power over the prison. It's not that they legitimately have power by themselves, it's because the prison falls under their jurisdiction. Now, consider that the functions and rules of the prison are old as hell and most likely have been like this since ever.

And just remember this: the USC is always on the line of the chairman finding their actions non-legitimate.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I also thought the "three escape attempts = expulsion" rule kind of came out of nowhere. It's possible that it was mentioned in an earlier episode and I simply forgot about it, but I honestly don't remember hearing anything about it until this week.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I also thought the "three escape attempts = expulsion" rule kind of came out of nowhere. It's possible that it was mentioned in an earlier episode and I simply forgot about it, but I honestly don't remember hearing anything about it until this week.

It was a quick mention, but Mari DID tell the boys back in episode one that three escape attempts meant expulsion. I had watch it a second time just make sure, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6