• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Prison School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
How popular is Romance of the Three Kingdoms in Japan? It must be ingrained in Japanese pop culture for the figures to be used in anime.

The Romance of Three Kingdoms is one Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese Literature and is known in East Asia(so including Japan) as Shakespeare.

The manga adaptation of that novel, Sangokushi, was during its release one of the most popular manga in Japan(1971-1986), if not the most, and right now is between the most sold mangas of all time.
Also there are a lot of manga series based at the time of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Souten Kouro is a good example of a recent and popular manga about that(1994-2005, with anime in 2009)

Also note that the Era of the Three Kingdoms is considered as the 2nd most bloody era of all time, only behind the World War II. It was a huge event in History.
Dynasty Warriors and the aptly named Romance of the Three Kingdoms games also take place during this time period and do well enough to warrant sequel after sequel as well.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Aside from all the urine related stuff and the sexual assault, Hana seems very innocent about sexual matters. I mean she's, what, like 16-17, she should know the basic mechanics of this stuff by now. Do they not have sex ed? It's not the Japan of Shimoneta. You see Hana, when a boy sees a girl's...Medusa, his... let's say Metapod uses harden. Aside from the first one, all the embarrassing things that happened to her were a result of her own malicious actions. I'll give her the first one, since while peeing in the woods when there is perfectly good bathrooms nearby is inadvisable, doesn't mean she deserves to have someone watch her pee, albeit accidentally. And certainly, "It was an accident" doesn't excuse everything. Calling her private area Medusa was rude on Kiyoshi's part though apt. No one would accuse the show of being sex-positive. As to the other situations, the embarrassing things were an almost inevitable result of her actions. If going to be near someone peeing (including yourself), there is a not insignificant chance of getting a least a few drops on you. And if you don't want some guys privates touching you, don't make him take his pants and underwear off (as well as her own) and force him in close proximity to you.

So to sum this all up: Hana's fvcked in the head. Wink
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
To be fair, most of the characters in this show are too.
Merostay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
i laughed hard when Hana tried to "Dio" herself into victory.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Ep 12, awesome conclusion to this arc, so many great scenes. Am I the only one hoping Hana and Kiyoshi somehow end up together? Every one of their joint scenes are amazing. Even though the story isn't over they did end it in a great spot

btw, the anime ends on chapter 81 of the manga, and there are currently 191 chapters, I am picking up where the anime left off and will probably speed read through the rest by next week.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
That was awesome episode and the anime overall. If you don't like Gakuto, you gotta at least respect him for going over great lengths just to get tasks done for the sake of his friends,freedom & T-shirt contest.

Speaking of T-shirt contest, where is it? Did it happened off-the-screen or didn't happened yet? Did it show it in the manga?
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I had low hopes honestly for what JC Staff would have done but I can't help but be in awe, they've done a really faithful work to the manga, especially art and storywise. I know, it's not exactly the same quality of art, it's different, but they were able to make all the characters have the same impact, like the girls being incredibly pretty (especially the Council Student President), cunning, crazy, and the same for the boys.

The arc that comes after this one isn't done yet so I hope a second season doesn't come that soon.

Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
That was awesome episode and the anime overall. If you don't like Gakuto, you gotta at least respect him for going over great lengths just to get tasks done for the sake of his friends,freedom & T-shirt contest.

Speaking of T-shirt contest, where is it? Did it happened off-the-screen or didn't happened yet? Did it show it in the manga?

It hasn't happened yet, not even in the manga, but it is still pretty relevant.
voltaseca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:

Didn't happen yet in the manga, although spoiler[the contest is the "main source of conflict" for the current arc.]
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
So does the manga now shift focus to the imprisoned USC members, or are the boys still the protagonists?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
So does the manga now shift focus to the imprisoned USC members, or are the boys still the protagonists?

The boys are still the protagonists, but because spoiler[they'll get heavily involved with the prison's affairs, both Student Councils are having their moments in the limelight, as well].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I happened to start watching the live-action stream on funimation which is rather amazingly well put together. The actors are all very talented.

It does raise a question that I thought someone here might be able to answer. The actors all look so exactly like their anime/manga depictions that I was wondering if they were actually picked as models for when the original artwork was drawn, with the intent of using them for the live-action version when it came about. Is that the case?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6