• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaos Dragon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Yggdrasil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Actually it is more a Urobuchi thing. The whole "I will kill this woman for fun and I will carry around her rotting head" was his idea, after all. Also, he has this bad habit of killing women to angst his male characters. See the whole female cast of Zero.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised by ibuki not byting the incest bait, I mean, this show can still get worse, I have hopes for that.

inb4 aykha/whjatever becomes a witch.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
There's something I just noticed about the episodes' titles.

• Episode #*1 Issatsutashō (一殺多生)
  • Episode #*2 Niritsuhaihan (二律背反)
  • Episode #*3 Sanmīttai (三位一体)
  • Episode #*4 Shimensoka (四面楚歌)
  • Episode #*5 Gorimuchū (五里霧中)
  • Episode #*6 Rokudōrinne (六道輪廻)
  • Episode #*7 Shichitenhakki (七転八起)
  • Episode #*8 Hachimenreirō (八面玲瓏)
  • Episode #*9 Tsuzuraori (九十九折)
  • Episode #10 Jisshīsshō (十死一生)
  • Episode #11 Hyakkiyagyō (百鬼夜行)
  • Episode #12 Senzaīchigū (千載一遇)

The first kanji in each title is a number, going 1 (一), 2 (二), 3 (三), 4 (四), 5 (五), 6 (六), 7 (七), 8 (八), 9 (九), 10 (十), 100 (百), 1,000 (千).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The light novel adaptation is actually what this anime is based on

It's the other way around, actually. The anime got a light novelization. But yeah, anime =/= campaign in the slightest.

As for Lou, how could you have possibly missed the masterful foreshadowing of her gaining a dragon gem? The way she crammed Ibuki's face into her chest in true anime style, her white hair...

She's obviously Ibuki's long-lost older sister!

At least we got a great comedy out of this!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
If there's one thing Chaos Dragon managed, it was make me want to read Red Dragon, since from what I read around it's just so much better.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Wau, that part about Ibuki and Eykha sound just disgusting, like it was meant to be the worst and creepiest possible outcome imaginable. But at least it gave us a pretty funny read from this last review. It's great to see another F grade, so thanks for all these reviews, it has entertained even people who didn't bother to watch the show (despite how needlessly complicated the plot can be).

Quote:
So Makoto Sanda is officially on my naughty list. Greenhorn director Masato Matsune can join him for the truly disastrous production values that failed to elevate Sanda's ghastly writing. I'll let SILVER LINK, Aikawa, and of course Nasu, Boochi, and Narita off the hook and give them the benefit of the doubt.

So, excluding the director because there's not enough people, this is the situation, right?

(yep, Nasu is the injured one because of the ocassional beating he got here and there Razz )
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
When Ibuki decided to sacrifice Eykha, I was (internally) screaming "No! Why are you killing the person who most deserves to live?!" And then that fuses Eykha and Val into some sort of dog human hybrid? Maybe Ibuki has an animal ear fetish. Or maybe the one he was attracted to was Val and he wanted to have relations with him/her? in human girl form. Overall the show was a train wreck. The first episode was the train derailing, the second through fifth was the train somehow staying upright, not crashing, and continuing to chug along without the tracks, and the rest of the episodes were the train running through several puppy farms and a garbage dump, catching on fire and finally exploding at a orphanage for the disabled. I would say it was a spectacular train wreck if not for the strong smell of garbage and feces.

As to Rental Magica, It certainly wasn't as good as Nasu, the Urobutcher, and Narita's works but it certainly was better than this offense to the various Anime Gods.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
I dropped this show around episode 4, but I must say: reading Chaos Dragon's weekly reviews is one of the things I looked forward to the most this anime season. It was definitely a fun read.

Not touching this show again.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I was surprised by ibuki not byting the incest bait, I mean, this show can still get worse, I have hopes for that.

inb4 aykha/whjatever becomes a witch.

this episode did nto disssapoint, it the it was an absolutely dissapointment bigger than the rest of the show sense. glad to know my drunk post was spot on ( this episode still managed to ebcome worse, eykha becasme a weird thing.)
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Hope Chapman wrote:
I could never recommend this show to anyone at all. There aren't many anime you can say that about, so I guess if Chaos Dragon was aiming to be remembered, it can always be remembered for being just that bad.

Oh, come on. Aren't you exaggerating that? I mean, sure, the show was crap from start to finish, but there are plenty of other anime out there that make this one look like golden crap by comparison. It's honestly a fairly entertaining relief after suffering through some of those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for doing the weekly write up, I also dropped it very quickly but kept on reading these because while I don't hate watch, I do enjoy reading about it.

Now I really hope we'll hear about the production, maybe some good feces fling from all the participant involved. Laughing
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Now we've finally got to the end of this train-wreck, I look back and have to laugh at myself for actually anticipating this show! Laughing

Episode one raised every red flag it possibly could, but I honestly didn't think things could get worse than rock-bottom (boy was I wrong though).

However I loved this final episode review, it's exactly what the show deserved. From start to finish Chaos Dragon was never anything but complete and utter garbage.

It's actually quite a feat managing to fail at everything you were trying to do but this show does it with flying colours. Story, direction, characterization, animation, I don't think you could say something good about any of it. Though the way characters went off model in literally every shot was good for a laugh. I'd probably have to go back and look at the key visual to remember what the standard for each character model should actually be.

As for the resolution to Eykhas story, it made me feel sick and not in the good emotionally resonant kind of way. Through Eps 1-11 she sees herself as disposable and in Ep 12 she's disposed of (Awww how poetic, NOT!). Imo the writing totally spit over her character with that one. Honestly, Eykha, Ka Grava and the maid were the only characters I thought deserved to survive this awful show.

Looking at Chaos Dragon as a whole, I have to believe the entire collaboration came to fruition after many a night sat around drinking copious amounts of saké.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I will be honest I can't take this review or the reviewer series.

He starts of by dismissing another work from the same individual rental magica, which I have seen and he hasn't. Its actually pretty good, the anime kind of cuts short the story due the LN being 20 plus volumes, but its a nice work in that classic fantasy shonen style.

But what really makes the review hard to read is when they start interjecting their own ideas, and also their nonsensical rant about the final pairing. I mean the reviewers sound likes someone on the losing end of a shipping wars. Granted I haven't seen the work yet, but I personally don't find anything disgusting or overly wrong with with what happens to the dog girl. Sounds like she dies and a clone of her is brought back, so what, that happens quite often in fictional works, not just anime. I dont see the big deal.

This may in fact be a terrible series, but I would have to watch that for myself, because this review just comes off as so unprofessional and hysterical. And please, don't use the term waifu, that is about as bad as people in the use going around and using Kawaii and similar words in their everyday lives.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

But what really makes the review hard to read is when they start interjecting their own ideas, and also their nonsensical rant about the final pairing. I mean the reviewers sound likes someone on the losing end of a shipping wars. Granted I haven't seen the work yet, but I personally don't find anything disgusting or overly wrong with with what happens to the dog girl. Sounds like she dies and a clone of her is brought back, so what, that happens quite often in fictional works, not just anime. I don't see the big deal.

This may in fact be a terrible series, but I would have to watch that for myself, because this review just comes off as so unprofessional and hysterical. And please, don't use the term waifu, that is about as bad as people in the use going around and using Kawaii and similar words in their everyday lives.

Eykha didn't just die, but was murdered by the man who loved her. Not sure you know exactly what a clone is. Clones are not brought back, they are created or grown. They are not the same as the original dead person, nor do they have that person's memories or experiences.

Ibuki murdered the woman who loved him, and then created a separate new being for his pleasure. After all, why should he have to sacrifice anything. Waifu is the perfect term for this newly created life form dedicated to his pleasure.

Sounds awfully like the fantasy version of the Stepford Wives.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
He starts of by dismissing another work from the same individual rental magica, which I have seen and he hasn't.

She "starts off" in the 4th paragraph by simply saying she would not be surprised if it sucked based on her previous experience of his work. Not that she thought or knew it did, having not seen it.

But I don't see much difference in her actions (as you ascribed them to her, i.e.) and your own actions, namely, offering an opinion of something you haven't seen, in order to support your current rant. The series really is every bit as bad as she painted it. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8