• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GATE

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
as far as political journalistis goes, that is a perfect representation of them , since they always take certain sides and you will very hardly find a political news outlet that is objective (mostly only if they are unrelated, usually from a different country).

for americans fox news should ring a bell

Exactly.

maximilianjenus wrote:
now, on the subject of piña's soldiers... now that kind of broke my suspension of disbelief, since I faintly rememebr, form the previous season, that piña's group was supossed to be more of an ornamental group with no real combat skills, tho maybe I am confusing this with berserk.

The emperor implied they had no combat experience as the unit hadn't actually been sent to do anything. That doesn't mean no combat skills. They did show her unit being trained by older veterans. They also weren't fighting the regular military (though the regular military did show up at the end of this episode).

Key wrote:
The "politician protecting his ass before doing his job" business is something else I probably could have commented on, as that could also be looked at from a "see, the politicians are keeping us from doing our job!" angle, too.

Sure, but similar to the journalist, that doesn't somehow counter it being a valid criticism of politicians.

zrnzle500 wrote:
If anything, we have almost the opposite problem, where much of the media tries to at least give the appearance of objectivity, which results in what is dubbed false equivalence, where the media tries to equate both sides when one side is much more extreme and irresponsible, and tries to avoid coming down on either side of a partisan issue.

I don't really want to start going into all the different news sources and journalists that just push their preconceived bias, but what you're talking about is the exact same problem. The only difference is the initial view they are going in there looking for evidence to support. It doesn't matter what that view is; it isn't proper journalism and is far too prevalent currently. A journalist going in dead set on finding equivalence is just as wrong as a journalist going in there dead set on showing one side to be horrible.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I find it interesting that people are taking such issue with things like the Diet member and the journalist in GATE, simply because if the anime took the exact OPPOSITE side (ie. the journalist is heroic and the Diet member sympathetic but the military man is overly "aggressive" and you maybe have a scheming government official looking for conquest) people would not look askance at it. Considering that we have LOTS of media that take that tact which is often widely praised. It would still seem like people were being overly critical if GATE was simply being bashed on "technical merit" if there was an UNDERCURRENT of dislike for the themes, but it just seems notable that people are taking SUCH issue with GATE's particular stance since the polar opposite stance appears ALL THE TIME.

Again, the way things are slanted makes a lot of difference. So does the context. For instance, I think it's indisputable that the series has greatly and deliberately aggrandized the JSDF. I'm not saying that's automatically a bad thing, but casting the scenes with the politician and the journalist in that light does give them a certain nastier interpretation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
If anything, we have almost the opposite problem, where much of the media tries to at least give the appearance of objectivity, which results in what is dubbed false equivalence, where the media tries to equate both sides when one side is much more extreme and irresponsible, and tries to avoid coming down on either side of a partisan issue.

I don't really want to start going into all the different news sources and journalists that just push their preconceived bias, but what you're talking about is the exact same problem. The only difference is the initial view they are going in there looking for evidence to support. It doesn't matter what that view is; it isn't proper journalism and is far too prevalent currently. A journalist going in dead set on finding equivalence is just as wrong as a journalist going in there dead set on showing one side to be horrible.

Some may have been preconceptions of the parties being equal, but I believe the problem is more akin to dare I say political correctness. They know one party is more extreme and irresponsible but because they are supposed to be objective, they can't really say that outright unless one of their copartisans criticizes that party too or else be criticized for being biased, not that that prevents Fox News etc and often conservative politicians from accusing them of bias. I think they should try to be objective as possible but I think they ought to be transparent about their priors so people can take it with a grain of salt. Ultimately, you have to be a vigilant consumer of news, as with other products.

The problem isn't that they don't lionize reporters but rather their utterly apparent disdain and disrespect for them. Criticizing them is fine but characterizing them as hostile and without a wink of objectivity or even decency is as unfair to them as the journalist is being to them.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Again, the way things are slanted makes a lot of difference. So does the context. For instance, I think it's indisputable that the series has greatly and deliberately aggrandized the JSDF. I'm not saying that's automatically a bad thing, but casting the scenes with the politician and the journalist in that light does give them a certain nastier interpretation.

I'm curious to hear/read this expanded upon, totally serious. What "way" are things slanted that makes it nastier? I love your reviews so I'm not saying this judge either you or your reviews, but it comes across as "lionizing the military is generally uncomfortable and so unless it is tempered by 'civilians' I find it off-putting". Again, I'm not saying that IS your opinion or statement, but when left in brief that's the impression. If this were (for example) an idol anime, you could have a journalist that is presented exactly the same as the guy in this episode of GATE, and he would just be seen as a "foil" for the protagonists, with no real ulterior motive ascribed to the writer (since idols or other celebrities deal with the paparazzi all the time). But because our protagonists are clearly the JSDF, it's more off-putting.

I'm not denying that GATE is pushing a particular message, as you said, that's pretty obvious. (it's not really "subtle") I'm just saying that I've seen the OPPOSITE message presented all the time and it never really comes up as a point of discussion/criticism. I can understand the critique that it isn't subtle (its not), but by this point, its clear what it is, so I'm just struck by why it remains a point of issue.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Some may have been preconceptions of the parties being equal, but I believe the problem is more akin to dare I say political correctness.

That is really the same thing as what I said. The bias in that case is just that bias towards being PC. In that case, they are just going in looking for support for their PC argument. Ignoring things because talking about them might not be PC isn't better or fundamentally different from ignoring them because talking about them might support an opposing view.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I think they ought to be transparent about their priors so people can take it with a grain of salt.

I agree. That is why despite all the crap Fox gets, at least I know their particular slant. Other sources can be just as bad but you might not immediately know how.

zrnzle500 wrote:
The problem isn't that they don't lionize reporters but rather their utterly apparent disdain and disrespect for them. Criticizing them is fine but characterizing them as hostile and without a wink of objectivity or even decency is as unfair to them as the journalist is being to them.

We've been shown more than just that one reporter you know. He was the only one to act that way.

HeeroTX wrote:
If this were (for example) an idol anime, you could have a journalist that is presented exactly the same as the guy in this episode of GATE, and he would just be seen as a "foil" for the protagonists, with no real ulterior motive ascribed to the writer (since idols or other celebrities deal with the paparazzi all the time). But because our protagonists are clearly the JSDF, it's more off-putting.

I completely agree. A series having a stance on something isn't new, and it usually isn't much of an issue. This series has a pro-SDF stance. Somehow this stance specifically has caused people to go 'omg it is promoting evil japanese military oppression' and try to point at the pro-SDF stance as unreasonable / horrible and overly and unfairly scrutinize aspects that those same people likely can't be bothered with in other series like the example you're throwing out.

Both the politician earlier and the journalist this episode are pointing out real issues with how things are done which apply to more than just SDF related interaction. I don't see how in the context of a pro-SDF series, that is somehow nastier.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I completely agree. A series having a stance on something isn't new, and it usually isn't much of an issue. This series has a pro-SDF stance. Somehow this stance specifically has caused people to go 'omg it is promoting evil japanese military oppression' and try to point at the pro-SDF stance as unreasonable / horrible and overly and unfairly scrutinize aspects that those same people likely can't be bothered with in other series like the example you're throwing out.

Both the politician earlier and the journalist this episode are pointing out real issues with how things are done which apply to more than just SDF related interaction. I don't see how in the context of a pro-SDF series, that is somehow nastier.

My whole problem with it is it's presenting all these standard right-wing talking points as if they were some sort of universal truth, that of course the liberal politicians and the mainstream media are going to be biased against the military doing what needs to be done or whatever.

It's like poorly done Tom Clancy fiction. I enjoy reading that kind of stuff sometimes, but when you do twig on the message that it's promoting, something in the back of my mind screams about the sheer wrongness of that kind of worldview.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
My whole problem with it is it's presenting all these standard right-wing talking points as if they were some sort of universal truth, that of course the liberal politicians and the mainstream media are going to be biased against the military doing what needs to be done or whatever.

I don't think it presents it that way at all. I mean I can see how someone could get that, but I don't see it as universal truths. For one, the politician this episode blocking the SDF wasn't left (btw careful using liberal with regard to Japanese politicians as it doesn't work the same way). He was in the same party as the minister that is Itami's friend which should be the party opposing the woman from earlier. So it isn't showing the left politicians getting in the way of what needs to be done and the right politicians letting them do what they need to as a universal truth.

As for the journalist, we don't even know if he is main stream or not. In fact, my impression from what we've seen is that he is just as likely not to be. Major mainstream news source sends a single guy with a camera to take a couple of stills? It pans over other journalists that are there with a whole crew. The one journalist we've seen a couple of times that does seem to be with the mainstream national news didn't act like that so again, not a universal truth that the mainstream media is out to get them.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the day i really dont care about the news people or the other generals. they are just window dressing atm.

i am more concerned about what happens at the Jade Palace.
what happens with Lelei

i also can not wait for Itami to meet hardy Smile

now lets watch the next one and enjoy ...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
This episode is why I've been curious what Tyuule's "core" motive is. By taking Pina you shift the "war" into high gear (people are GOING to act) and we'll almost CERTAINLY get Zolzal deposed, but the Empire won't be destroyed. (because, Pina as a more helpful/amenable candidate will be installed in his stead) If Tyuule is obsessed with bringing down Zolzal, then all is going to plan, if she wants to destroy the EMPIRE then this is doomed to failure.

The one argument one can make on the "destroying the empire" plan is that Tyuule has proven that she WAY underestimates the "humanity" of the JSDF (and, as noted, the loyalty of Pina's troops). It COULD be that she expected that imprisoning Pina would break the morale of her people and allow Zolzal to consolidate power while the JSDF sat on their hands. Obviously she's wrong on both counts.

So basically, is she "getting what she wants" but not everything, or is her plan fully doomed to failure by miscalculations? Apparently Zolzal kept himself from being a pawn of his father by being a puppet of his slave. Razz
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So far, nothing has been shown to justify this move, especially since Tyuule has to know that they don't get along too well.
Except that Tyuule doesn't want to control the empire, she wants to destroy it -- for revenge. Taking out Pina -- who, as HeeroTX says, would be a reasonably effective empress -- is absolutely necessary for this plan. Imprisoning her, as preliminary to her show trial and execution, is just part of that plan. Humiliating Pina and getting back some of the dignity that Tyuule lost along the way are just icing on the cake.

A better question is, how did Tyuule plan to bring down the empire before the gate opened? Putting the biggest idiot on the throne is a good start, but without the JSDF to deliver the finishing blow it would have been a long, slow, grinding slide into ruin.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Quote:
So far, nothing has been shown to justify this move, especially since Tyuule has to know that they don't get along too well.
Except that Tyuule doesn't want to control the empire, she wants to destroy it -- for revenge. Taking out Pina -- who, as HeeroTX says, would be a reasonably effective empress -- is absolutely necessary for this plan. Imprisoning her, as preliminary to her show trial and execution, is just part of that plan. Humiliating Pina and getting back some of the dignity that Tyuule lost along the way are just icing on the cake.

A better question is, how did Tyuule plan to bring down the empire before the gate opened? Putting the biggest idiot on the throne is a good start, but without the JSDF to deliver the finishing blow it would have been a long, slow, grinding slide into ruin.

Tyuule's plans have been doomed to failure from the moment we learned of them. She vastly overestimates the Empire's ability to wage war and the SDF's ruthlessness, and underestimates the human decency of the modern world. She's under the impression that the SDF would leap at any chance to annihilate the Empire, when if that was their goal, they'd've done it in the first month.

The Empire is a vague annoyance, and only Pina seems cognizant of that fact. That may change next episode though, with a full paradrop mission about to happen.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I think I know why Tyuure seems like she's out for revenge against Pina. Honestly, there's no way in Hell Pina doesn't know about her brother's sex slaves. Even if Pina doesn't get along with Zorzal, it probably pissed Tyuure off that, even as a fellow woman, Pina never did anything whatsoever to try to intervene on her and the other slave girls' situation.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
After checking the last few pages of this thread, I have to wonder if I'm the only one who found Leilei's arc the worst the series has ever offered in terms of plot and side characters.

Strictly speaking about episode 22, I think the whole Shandy incident was handed very poorly: no tension, predictable but worst of all, the resolution made no sense: no one is THAT stupid. And if she is, I think a more nuanced character would have made the whole thing more compelling to watch. And I wouldn't be so sure about her being convinced by the pied piper: yes her eyes look "anime hypnosis" when she's about to strike Leilei, but afterwards she's back to her old self and still wants her dead. WTF ?

I wish they spent more time with the refugees/Pina situation, those moments have been the consistent highlights for me in the last few episodes.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
After checking the last few pages of this thread, I have to wonder if I'm the only one who found Leilei's arc the worst the series has ever offered in terms of plot and side characters.

No, you're not. These episodes have been mostly terrible, to me.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:

You are most definitely not the only one. The assassin arc should have been fascinating, the Pied Piper sounded like an intriguing antagonist for Itami's party to face, but they failed miserably.

Episode 22 was definitely the worst episode this season purely due to the stupidity surrounding this stuff. It was awful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 31