• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DeNA Confirms MyAnimeList Buyout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as they don't mess up anything with the list and functionality, whatever. But of course they will, because that's what buyouts and mergers always do.
synaia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
pcj wrote:
Maybe this means we'll get a working official mobile client for MAL now instead of just the third-party ones that all depend on hacks or proxies.

Could just use the mobile version of MAL, they added one around January when the buy-out happened.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think it is odd that the MyAnimeList website does not list a parent company or sister sites. If the site will have a first party relationship with other companies then that should be disclosed.

My curiosity arose because I wonder how MAL will evolve in the future. There is a lot of potential for promotional preference now that a company with direct ties to anime and manga companies is involved.
wohdin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
MAL hasn't even really been that good for a long time, there are plenty of services that now completely overshadow it. It's time for them to step up and fill in MAL's shoes of serving the community first.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
so anyone watching anime without paying for it on youtube, dailymotion or other sites.. aka ILLEGAL sites.. are pirates and should be prosecuted...

only if they have enough prison cells ..

but for fansub.. you got bad quality sub.. video compression so video quality is not the best..

That's cute.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is the end of the good days of MAL. A company buying out a fanmade site never ends well. Guess i'll have to switch over to AniList once all the changes they make end up being terrible and destroy the entire foundation of the site. Too bad, but I guess a site can't be that popular without selling out. I though the guy who created the site really cared for it, but it's sad to see he's just another sell out.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I use Anime Planet and that site has been doing streaming for a while. I guess I'll have to see how MAL's selection compares.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
I use Anime Planet and that site has been doing streaming for a while. I guess I'll have to see how MAL's selection compares.

Lucky you- I've been using Anime Planet for quite a while now myself. Smile
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
The fansub ratings were nice, but linking to the websites is questionable for a company that wants to "go legit", so I'm not surprised.

My biggest beef with MAL (aside from no integration with FB/mobile/whatever) is the refusal to list places to legally watch. I'm all for fansubs, and may or may not have a drive full of them myself, but I pay for Crunchyroll for a reason - to support the creators. I'm even considering the cheap sub-only Funimation membership to expand what I can stream.

I've always preferred MAL's DB format to ANN's as far as info. It's not as detailed, but the ability to track what you've seen is invaluable. I wish you could specify whether they displayed the titles in Romanji or English, though.

Wouldn't it make sense to FULLY support the creators by importing the BD's?
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
but for fansub.. you got bad quality sub.. video compression so video quality is not the best..

it's always funny to me.. like how they are trying to stop people from watching CAM version of movies in theaters..

did you actually watch those video?.. they are CRAP!!

You have it backwards. While illegal streaming sites are generally the worst in every way, fansubs offer at least equal and generally superior quality to official streaming releases if you get them properly. For most shows legally streamed, people simply take the video in identical quality and release it for people to watch. People are then able to get superior video sources and either edit and, in theory, improve, the official translations or make their own. When shows aren't legally released, you get a variety of quality, from one group's fantastic release of the excellent Joshiraku to the utter drooling idiots Google Guesslating Dragon Ball Super at the moment – although people are perfectly capable of releasing garbage even if there's really no excuse.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:

Wouldn't it make sense to FULLY support the creators by importing the BD's?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA No. I buy enough of the DVDs and BluRays that are released by licensing companies here in the US. Importing Japanese releases is like someone from Canada buying prescription drugs in the US. Besides, I'd rather have something that comes in a box I can read.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
MAL hasn't even really been that good for a long time, there are plenty of services that now completely overshadow it.

Mind explaining this more? Maybe it's because I like my net not to be convoluted, but I cannot find anything wrong with MAL. It's clean, it's simple, it gives me pretty much all of the functionality I need other than a 100-point rating scale. Maybe a bit more fleshing out of the people involved for certain anime, but that's about it.
Korogoro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
Next thing we know ANN will also start streaming anime. But seriously, this MAL anime streaming could be an extremely good idea or a complete mess... Probably a mess.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
Korogoro wrote:
Next thing we know ANN will also start streaming anime. But seriously, this MAL anime streaming could be an extremely good idea or a complete mess... Probably a mess.
animenewsnetwork.com/video/anime

Actually ANN has been doing this since 2008/2009. They even simulcasted two Fall 2010 anime, Oreimo and Togainu no Chi. ANN was the only place to see those two shows via legal means for a while, the latter never got licensed.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-04/anime-network-to-launch-1st-simulcast-oreimo
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-06/anime-network-to-simulcast-togainu-no-chi-anime
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Korogoro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Korogoro wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/video/anime

Actually ANN has been doing this since 2008/2009. They even simulcasted two Fall 2010 anime, Oreimo and Togainu no Chi. ANN was the only place to see those two shows via legal means for a while, the latter never got licensed.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-04/anime-network-to-launch-1st-simulcast-oreimo
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-06/anime-network-to-simulcast-togainu-no-chi-anime

OK, I never heard of this before... Thank you Very Happy
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder how this will affect MAL as a whole, I can definitely see all the fansub-related stuff going away, which is quite sad.

GuruBuckaroo wrote:

I'm all for fansubs, and may or may not have a drive full of them myself, but I pay for Crunchyroll for a reason - to support the creators. I'm even considering the cheap sub-only Funimation membership to expand what I can stream.

http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/30/crunchyroll-is-it-worth-subscribing/

Tl;dr: Subscribing to crunchyroll to support the creators is basically the equivalent of giving a Blue whale a handful of krill during its peak feeding period. During this time the Blue whale can consume 40,000,000 krill per day Anime smile + sweatdrop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4