• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wagnaria!!3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motormind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
I somehow couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for Kyouko. I get the feeling she does loves Yachiyo very much, but is somehow unable to really express it other than by asking Yachiyo to make her those damn parfaits. And now Kyouko is losing the one she loves to a guy.

Lesbians in anime sure have it tough.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
^ You totally ignored what CrownKlown wrote, didn't you. >_>; You're looking for something that isn't there, pal. It's fine if that's your thing, but it isn't canon, in the same way that nearly all bl pairings in non-bl series are not canon.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
GhostOfShowsPast wrote:
I'm not a fan of the Takanashi and Inami romance can't see why he would like her and am not a fan of Inami at all she has gotten better but still can't stand her.

some just don't realize that Inami is best girl
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
You missed the point of the photo albums completely, Paul. I think of it as the best moment of the episode, maybe the series, with a little hindsight.

It was set up as a joke and even had a punchline, with Yachiko looking through her album and asking Souma why there wasn't any pictures of him and him retorting, well, he's the photographer. Then the ending of the episode and when find out she's moving on, quitting eventually and she's honestly going to treasure that joke of an album but she wants it to be complete and with a quick glance, she knew someone was missing.

Nobody in the episode noticed that Souma was gone; if he's not saying anything, if he's just doing his job, he's literally behind the background or just right outside of frame... with a camera taking pictures. Nothing candid, just pictures of his coworkers. Creepy but could be worse, they have a changing room after all.

So. The girl who always has her eyes closed sees more clearly than the rest of the cast combined. But I think it goes deeper than even that because Yachiko likes all of her coworkers and possibly loves all of them, even Aoi and Souma.

The best the rest of them can do with Souma, barring Aoi of course, is share the same space with him as coworkers but to Yachiko, they're her family.

As she flipped through the album, she must have quickly thought "Hey, it's [blank] and there's [blank]" checking off each one as she saw them only to quickly look at the man who gave her the book of memories, to ask him why he wasn't in it.

Souma's the black sheep of the Wagnaria family, disliked and almost despised by his coworkers but he's Yachiko's black sheep and she doesn't want to forget him.

And the topper, this is disguised as a punchline, one that becomes something more at the end of the episode.
motormind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
wiitard119 wrote:
nice bait m8

What are you talking about? If you mean that this is a typical example of the "Bait and switch Lesbian" trope that permeates anime nowadays, then I wholeheartedly agree. The makers should either stop queerbaiting the audience, or they should finally show some actual romance between female characters. I am getting a bit sick and tired of the "oh but it's not actually love" nonsense they keep pulling.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

Psst, her name's "Yachiyo." Wink
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
If you mean that this is a typical example of the "Bait and switch Lesbian" trope that permeates anime nowadays, then I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't since I can imagine a close bonding between two same-sex characters and being lesbians has absolutely nothing to do with it. And in this case I cannot remember a single line of dialog where Yachiyo's infatuation with Kyouko had anything to do with her sexuality. If anything it was an infantile girl crush that it was inevitable that she would grow out of. I've seen it many times.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
The last episode just aired and well... Takanashi gets kidnapped. ^^; There's going to be a one-hour special at a later date. The details are TBA.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
The last episode just aired and well... Takanashi gets kidnapped. ^^; There's going to be a one-hour special at a later date. The details are TBA.

So basically "Kekkai Sensen part deux"?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we have to worry about not seeing the finale as the reviewer surmised. Even if streaming doesn't get it, NISA put out both seasons in the States, so they will probably license and release season three with the finale.

Anybody seen servant x servant, isn't it supposed to be similar to working, I haven't seen it yet.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't think we have to worry about not seeing the finale as the reviewer surmised. Even if streaming doesn't get it, NISA put out both seasons in the States, so they will probably license and release season three with the finale.

Aniplex of America has the distribution rights for this season...
motormind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I don't since I can imagine a close bonding between two same-sex characters and being lesbians has absolutely nothing to do with it.

This is the standard answer to this complaint, and I am honestly getting a bit tired of it. If a show would have something like this happen between a man and a woman, with one of them obsessing over the other, then there would be massive outcry that they didn't wind up together. It's a terrible double standard and reeks of homophobia.

I also don't believe in Yachiyo and Jun as a couple, _at all_. The only reason they got shipped is because one was a girl and the other a guy.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
@Animegomaniac

Psst, her name's "Yachiyo." Wink

I keep getting the names wrong on this series and I've given up by this point. "I got them right!" No, I don't.

Quote:
If a show would have something like this happen between a man and a woman, with one of them obsessing over the other, then there would be massive outcry that they didn't wind up together. It's a terrible double standard and reeks of homophobia.

Yachiyo is subservient to her former delinquent boss and Kyouko's just in it for the food; If you can see a potential romantic relationship in that then you should probably take your yuri glasses off.

The only other evidence of her obsession with Kyouko is her constant talking with Jun about her, chatting with Jun about her, taking all the free time he has with Kyouko as the subject. Either:

1) Yachiyo is full on in love with Kyouko and her only outlet is spending time with a guy talking about the object of her desire. Problem: Wouldn't she be trying to maximize her time with Kyouko? Her time with Jun is time away from her, after all.

2) Yachiyo is full on in love with Jun but the only thing she knows is her job and Kyouko. Problem: Any mindless subject will suffice for small talk, the girl who carries a sword while on the job doesn't have to go to extremes...

Anser: She's just not normal. If you think about, she could be stuffing Kyouko with food just so she'd have something to talk about with Jun. This makes the most sense to me; From the third opener, if I gave Kyouko a parfait, there's no way I wouldn't want to watch her eat it. Then give her another one...

I think Yachiyo and Jun make a cute couple, she just needs to learn of the non-Kyouko world.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Anybody seen servant x servant, isn't it supposed to be similar to working, I haven't seen it yet.

I really like Servant x Service but it is… for lack of a better word… more “uncomfortable” than Working. It’s a nice touch to make all of the main characters adults (one teenage little sister has an important supporting role) but giving the cast the same sort of personality quirks as the guys in Working in such an adult setting (a civil service office) makes them all seem a little more pitiable than cutely eccentric. Well, except for Lucy- she’s adorable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
so glade we're getting a special seeing how the ending to the show still left one thing up in the air, and hey it can still get a stream on Crunchyroll, look at the SAO special for example
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4