• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Charlotte

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikku45

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'm glad there was no time skip at the end or during his travels.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay, finally caught up with this show and I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as well by replying to some comments.

abeltensor wrote:
Charlotte suffers due to a lack of exposition (never thought I would write this line about anything because usually its the other way around). We miss explanations about so many things that it just becomes a mishmash of concepts and ideas from which you have to infer that things happened.

Hm... I personally didn't mind that we didn't get that much exposition because the point of view was from the uninformed protagonists.

abeltensor wrote:
The lack of foreshadowing really hurt the show as well, just having things fly out of left field as much as they did made it feel like the show was running by the seat of its pants and barely being held together.

That's why I feel that the "fly out of left field" is justified/can be forgiven. Events do happen without reason and just like how the main characters were thrown for a loop, so were we.

abeltensor wrote:
Hell as an example, Ayumi's death felt extremely forced and frankly never needed to happen. They used her death as a method of allowing Yu descend into darkness and then come out good, be introduced to his brother and the time leap ability; all of these events would have worked better in their own context. That is to say, that many of the time travel problems came from Yu traveling back in time, but this event never needed to happen. All we needed to see was a flash back of his brother using it until he goes blind for it to have emotional weight.

I... actually agree with this. Though I wouldn't say that Ayumi's death was actually wasted. Instead of it being for the sold purpose of introducing the idea of time travel, I saw it as pure character development for Yuu, etc... In terms of evoking an emotional response from the viewer, it did its job and the experience was great.

abeltensor wrote:
The time travel element had so many problems that they simply removed it 2-3 episodes later. (time travel rarely works in stories that aren't about time travel and even then, there are only a select few that work with out creating major plot holes.) Only to have it potentially show up in the last episode with Yu finding an ability to heal himself. (it bugged me that even if he never planned to use the time leap ability, he never healed his eye regardless.)

You hit the nail on the head with regard to the time travel thing too. Time travel is one of my favorite genres of fiction and not many writers actually bother to go deep into the specific mechanics of it. That's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy the recent film, Almanac, and enjoyed Back to the Future and Steins;Gate.

In the end though, I think the reviewer summed it up best:

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Ultimately, Charlotte succeeds as a work of entertainment but disappoints as a work of art. As pure entertainment, it doesn't have a dull second.

In terms of individual moments and vignettes of the lives of teenagers with special powers, it succeeds. But of course, if you break everything down to its core components and try to see how everything fits together, the pieces don't really line up and you do get somewhat of an uneven experience. There is a lack of exposition, there is a lack of foreshadowing, there is a tonal shift... But looking at it from another perspective, I'd posit that the lack of information and uncertainty is what made the show so visceral and engaging.

Though... The one thing that I do find unforgivable are the plot holes. I can forgive stupid decisions that characters make (hey, people are fallible) but what I can't get is stuff like

- Misa being able to use her flame ability through Yusa.
- Shunsuke moving and acting perfectly fine despite being blind.

Where things don't add up within the logic of the universe they established.
Spleen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing I admire more than a show where I can't predict what's going to happen. For that I want to like Charlotte.

However, there is one problem. In the last episode they jettisoned the entire premise of the show. Which is, lest we forget, that these stereotypical teenage superpowers all have a fatal flaw. Four-eyes' teleport sending him flying in random directions, Tomoko only being able to disappear in the eyes of one person. It was what made Charlotte different to other teenage superhero animés.

It was a source of humour when Four-eyes went flying into a wall or when Yu made chavs hit each other, it was a source of jeopardy when Tomoko is attacked in her home, overcomes one goon like Wonder Woman and is overpowered by the second like any young girl. It was a great premise.

And for the final episode, they just forget about it. You can't ask my suspension of disbelief to accept that at no point in Yu's quixotic odyssey is he confronted with the problem that he's got tens of thousands of powers, all of which are flawed. Why doesn't he have to cope with whatever the flaw is in the shielding ability, the girl's healing, the ability to freeze explosion-boy's arm? They just forgot that there should be one.

Sorry, it's a deal-breaker. A show with some outstanding moments - but clueless, incohesive storytelling. Someone else pointed out that there are other glaring narrative problems (lack of any foreshadowing whatsoever before it turns out that there are gangs combing the world for what were apparently secret powers). Forgetting what the show's premise was wasn't the only one.

Some poignant moments, but as for the story, they made it up as they went along.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yuu doesn't sound like a hero to me. Yuu sounds like the guy who robs you after you won the lottery.

Doesn't sound like anybody died during his "plundering" world tour, which is really unrealistic. Some people would have fought to the death to retain their powers.

If we had secret super powers, wouldn't you fight to keep them. Unless Yuu is a god now, he is a dead man walking. Someone will put a bullet in his head for revenge sooner or later.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
I had to rush the series because I just couldn't resist the thoughts of people talking about Charlotte's finale. I started seeing rants about how its potential was wasted, and then I saw Gabriella's final rating. I just needed to watch it.

And I did, and I'm as confused as Gabriella. I mean, I really liked the show: Maeda's one of the best at comedy, IMO. Every episode before spoiler[Ayumi's death] reminded me a of Angel Beats! (Nao is almost a copy of Yurippe, and I surprisingly enjoyed Nao as much as I enjoyed her Angel Beats! counterpart). I laughed a lot, and one cannot simply hate Maeda's/Key anime soundtracks and OP's. The show has intersting songs and Lia has one of the most beautiful voices among anime songs singers, and an OP with her voice on it makes it ten times better.

But as a Key/Maeda show, it should have been compelling in the FEELS department, and that's the first weak point of the show. In the same running time, Angel Beats! made me cry like a baby. Why? Because of the character development. What Gabriella said about how Maeda makes you care about a random character that appears for just a few episodes and then disappears is true, but that doesn't have any FEELY effect on me. If you want to make me cry, then spend more than three episodes developing the character: Otonashi and Tachibana received that, and by the end of that show, I cried and cried and cried. In Charlotte's case, though, nothing worked on me. Our two side characters weren't developed at all (the idol singer is the most useless character I've ever seen). Ayumi's case made me sad, yes, but in only a few episodes I wasn't that attached to her. That leaves me with our two MC. Yu as a character might have worked more to me if Nao and their love relationship had got more development. But by the end of the show, the anime almost forgot about her (and why on earth did she get bullied at ep 3 or 4?).

And now onto the finale. I've never been so betrayed by my feelings. I know I have to hate that ending: it is too rushed, with idiotic stereotypes (OH GOSH?!) (I kind of agree with the Peruvian depiction, though, but maybe next time Mr. Maeda, you should specify which city or town you're portraying: what about saying it is Cusco, or Ayacucho, or Junin, or Huancayo, or at least say which part of those cities are, and not just some random "Peruvian urban area"? Huh, maybe I'm not that cool with that Peruvian sterotype), with some weird decisions and plot holes, and making almost everything that happened before, that is Yu's development, the Student Council's mutant hunt, the blind singer, Nao's brother case, and more spoiler[pointless]. But GOD DAMMIT, I LIKED THE ENDING! I liked how everyonespoiler[ got reunited, even though Yu doesn't remember shit. In the end I didn't care how Nao's brother got the blind singer's CD, nor how everything ended up being pointless.] I just felt happy because everyone was happy and I wanted to join that group and be happy with them because happy lives are the best right?

I just don't know how to feel. I'd love to watch this again, but Fall season is coming, and more cohesive shows (maybe) are starting soon. Should I be happy or angry about the ending? Should I hate Charlotte because it didn't hit me right in the heart or love it because of its awesome comedy? Should I care about almost non developed characters because they are extremely likeable or not? I don't know how to answer any of those questions, and I hate that.

Buf, sorry for the long rant and I hope I didn't say anything stupid or out of place, but crap, how should I feel about this series?!

Crying or Very sad
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
sorry for the long rant and I hope I didn't say anything stupid or out of place, but crap, how should I feel about this series?!

I think it's as the review ended: we were never bored.

Frankly, I was more entertained by this than any of Maeda's other work. Does that mean I enjoy it the most? Hell no. I'd easily put it near the bottom.

And yes, this was absolutely the result of Maeda being inspired by Madoka Magica. I think he figured it wouldn't be as good, but decided to see what would happen if there were actual organizations (government, mafia, terrorism, etc.) fighting for the control of these powers.

Nao was the best character, for me at least. She was Yuu's guardian angel, and that just felt really endearing to me.

Charlotte's biggest flaw is its execution of the storytelling. The writing is fine, the characters are fine, but narratively...it's a mess. But hey, at least it kept us entertained!
The Anime Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Okay, finally caught up with this show and I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as well by replying to some comments.

abeltensor wrote:
Charlotte suffers due to a lack of exposition (never thought I would write this line about anything because usually its the other way around). We miss explanations about so many things that it just becomes a mishmash of concepts and ideas from which you have to infer that things happened.

Hm... I personally didn't mind that we didn't get that much exposition because the point of view was from the uninformed protagonists.

abeltensor wrote:
The lack of foreshadowing really hurt the show as well, just having things fly out of left field as much as they did made it feel like the show was running by the seat of its pants and barely being held together.

That's why I feel that the "fly out of left field" is justified/can be forgiven. Events do happen without reason and just like how the main characters were thrown for a loop, so were we.

abeltensor wrote:
Hell as an example, Ayumi's death felt extremely forced and frankly never needed to happen. They used her death as a method of allowing Yu descend into darkness and then come out good, be introduced to his brother and the time leap ability; all of these events would have worked better in their own context. That is to say, that many of the time travel problems came from Yu traveling back in time, but this event never needed to happen. All we needed to see was a flash back of his brother using it until he goes blind for it to have emotional weight.

I... actually agree with this. Though I wouldn't say that Ayumi's death was actually wasted. Instead of it being for the sold purpose of introducing the idea of time travel, I saw it as pure character development for Yuu, etc... In terms of evoking an emotional response from the viewer, it did its job and the experience was great.

abeltensor wrote:
The time travel element had so many problems that they simply removed it 2-3 episodes later. (time travel rarely works in stories that aren't about time travel and even then, there are only a select few that work with out creating major plot holes.) Only to have it potentially show up in the last episode with Yu finding an ability to heal himself. (it bugged me that even if he never planned to use the time leap ability, he never healed his eye regardless.)

You hit the nail on the head with regard to the time travel thing too. Time travel is one of my favorite genres of fiction and not many writers actually bother to go deep into the specific mechanics of it. That's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy the recent film, Almanac, and enjoyed Back to the Future and Steins;Gate.

In the end though, I think the reviewer summed it up best:

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Ultimately, Charlotte succeeds as a work of entertainment but disappoints as a work of art. As pure entertainment, it doesn't have a dull second.

In terms of individual moments and vignettes of the lives of teenagers with special powers, it succeeds. But of course, if you break everything down to its core components and try to see how everything fits together, the pieces don't really line up and you do get somewhat of an uneven experience. There is a lack of exposition, there is a lack of foreshadowing, there is a tonal shift... But looking at it from another perspective, I'd posit that the lack of information and uncertainty is what made the show so visceral and engaging.

Though... The one thing that I do find unforgivable are the plot holes. I can forgive stupid decisions that characters make (hey, people are fallible) but what I can't get is stuff like

- Misa being able to use her flame ability through Yusa.
- Shunsuke moving and acting perfectly fine despite being blind.

Where things don't add up within the logic of the universe they established.

Well , to be honest , I guess there should be a second season of Charlotte.And the second season should continue the story of the characters of charlotte. That will even help Maeda to explain the plot much more and fill the plot holes. I dont think he will repeat the mistakes which he made in this season if there will be a second season. I hope that will be a good idea and i wish there is a second season, because i really enjoyed Charlotte Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18