• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Last comment, sort of a question: do they mention the total population of their world? I am relatively certain it is well below the current 7+ billion of earth as we know it. But how much? I ask this because suddenly the 1/2 a million dead goes from horrible but somewhat marginally justifiable, to near extinction level depending on that number.

I haven't seen any solid numbers, but there are maps early on which suggests that the continent is perhaps roughly Europe-sized. Going by historical estimates, our world reached 1 billion people only in the 19th century. European populations in the middle ages averaged perhaps 70-100 million people, with India, China, and the rest of the world each contributing about that number again. So total population is perhaps on the order of 10-100 million people.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
(Alright, now for more of What I Originally Wanted To Say, More or Less. Think of it as an extension of my earlier post in the thread.)

Anyway. I suppose I must've not been very prepared for Rokka's "locked room mystery" nature at the outset. (Not paying much attention to show discussion, not even realizing it was based on an LN, and just casually watching the series early on contributed.) Of course I could see the anomaly of there being seven instead of six Braves, but starting the series, I was thinking the mystery element wouldn't be so long-lasting, or at least outweigh the fantasy-adventure aspect. It was only after all the Saints assembled and and started asking themselves about who the Seventh Brave that I, too, started seriously asking that, though not well enough to use content from prior episodes to try and figure things out.

So when Nachetanya was outed as the Seventh, it actually surprised me. I had considered her as among the leading suspects, but more so to go along with the flow of some viewers' discussion/commentary than any of my own analysis. (Maura was my top suspect, but maybe that would've been too easy and underwhelming a narrative direction to go in.) In a way, I felt almost as betrayed by her as Adlet did! Nachetanya came across to me as somewhat manipulative, sure, but in an innocuous and playful manner, and saddled with more of a sweet naiveté than a dangerous naiveté that could bring horrific results. Even after the reveal, her looks, voice, and much of her apparent persona up to this point are alluring enough to make me hope for further character development from her, the sort could at least make her a more sympathetic character. As it is now, there's plenty left up in the air about the Princess-- like, how did this"peace" agenda formulate in her to begin with? Did she gain demons' powers, or is she a half-demon like Flamie? Was that even her real body with Adlet and gang all this time? How aware and involved is her royal family and kingdom in all this?

It's comforting to know that Nachetanya most definitely shows up in later volumes, because I'd definitely like to understand her better. I may even do something I've never done and even read a fan translation of the LN to see what happens next! Because if the sales projections/data I've seen are anything to go by, the chances of a second season look dour. Crying or Very sad

----

Oh, and to answer that earlier, non-show-specific point:

Hamayadea wrote:
Whenever I'm about to post a long message, just before I'm clicking the Submit button (or regional equivalent Razz), I highlight the text and copy it. That way, even if the process fails, I can still post my message by pasting it again.

#themoreyouknow Smile

Oh, I've taken to copying and pasting after writing long chunks of stuff. I'll even type longer postings in an email draft, like I made sure to do in this instance. Thing is, Hameyadea, I didn't think it'd be such a long message at the start, and the webpage copped out on me once I decided to look up some information in a different tab. Updating the forum infrastructure with an auto-recovery feature may go a long way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Updating the forum infrastructure with an auto-recovery feature may go a long way.

Yes. Supported. DO IT, ANN!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
@ Animerican14: If you're on a Mac (I don't know many who use Safari in Windows), you can select all your text and then just drag it to the desktop as a clipping. To recover just drag the whole clipping back into the reply box, no need to open it first.

Quote:
How aware and involved is her royal family and kingdom in all this?

That's high on my list of questions as well. Smile
sestey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I personally loved the show, but wasn't a huge fan of this final episode. Mostly because (like many others) I felt another 7th brave felt a little cheap, but since it seems to actually happen for a reason in the light novels, I am ok with it.
On another note, does anyone know how well this show is doing in Japan? Or how likely a second season will be? It seems to be doing pretty well over here, but I know that has little bearing on what shows will continue. Hopefully we can at least start getting official light novels. I would definitely pick those up. I am also bummed PonyCan is the one with US distribution rights. I want to support this show as best I can, but if their previous releases are any indication, I won't be able to justify it. Crying or Very sad
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
Desa wrote:
Keeping viewers guessing is not the same as involving them. You can't participate in solving for the unknown, you can only watch the characters as they do it.

You know I honestly can't tell what your trying to say with this specific complaint.

Simply that at no point are the viewers allowed to solve the mystery before the series spells it out for us. Where's the fun in that?

maxwell3094 wrote:
Just like ThatGuy says the show DID have hints AND it even showed you flashbacks of those hints during the reveals. Can't participate in solving? Have you seen these forums? In both this and the main series thread there was plenty of speculation going on.

Yes, speculation. Making a lot of guesses and assumptions is not the same as solving. Whether 10 words or 1000 words, you're no closer to reaching a probable solution because the series will not allow it. (multiple probable solutions maybe, but nothing conclusive (i.e. it could only be A or B).

maxwell3094 wrote:
And a number of people did manage to pick up on some of the hints. Hell I even remember seeing someone in one of the threads actually figure out the mystery. This is a serious question but are you just not seeing all the hints or are you REFUSING to see them? Because to be perfectly honest I find myself thinking its the 2nd option...

There's the mystery of how, and the mystery of who, and it was not possible to solve either before the characters did, unless you want to quote me evidence to the contrary.

maxwell3094 wrote:
Adlet didn't just pull things out his ass. Everything except for the sun saints corpse (which he admits he was basically guessing on.) in his theory was all information WE the VIEWERS had. The sun saint's suspicious disappearance was mentioned in a bunch of episodes along with a mention of her powers, how hot/cold the temple area was before/after the barrier went up being mentioned in a few episodes, and the possibility that the soldier lied about how to activate the barrier brought up in one episode are all examples of hints that were in the show. Granted you do need to understand a bit of the science behind how fog forms in order to completely figure out the barrier trick but even then it was mentioned that Adlet studied science as part of his training.

Let's say you suspected the sun saint was somehow behind the heat early on and that she was somehow working for the fiends. Let's also say you know well that dropping the temperature of an area surrounded by cooler air will cause fog to form. You still wouldn't be able to conclusively reconcile these two facts because of what the characters were saying about the limits of a saint's powers. It took a loooong time to gather all the heat around the area as the sun saint could not instantaneously generate so much heat, and by the SAME measure, could not instantaneously release said heat. That was until Adlet dropped that crucial itty bitty little detail about how the death of a saint instantly magicks away the effects of their powers, something I don't believe we knew before Adlet casually brought it up. So we solved the mystery of 'how' at the same time as the characters, not before.

Nevermind that it was pure luck they even found the sun saint's body. Multiple smaller fiends could've eaten chunks of her, making accurate identification of the body virtually impossible.

Same thing with the fake barrier activation method, which wasn't really a "hint" as Adlet directly stated it was probable, but as soon as he said it, he had no evidence to support it and such information became useless until they discovered the true barrier activation method, which was the same time they, and we the viewers, solved the "who" part.

Bottom line is all the details placed throughout the series were useful ONLY in retrospect, and not for actually solving anything, since before we knew the answer, all those details were essentially meaningless because they could have had numerous explanations, and we had no clue how they were related because the piece that tied them together was only revealed at the end.

Pidgeot18 wrote:
Go back and read my thoroughly long post after episode 11. The series clearly brackets the time when someone's actions could have initiated the barrier. If you assume that the activation method still involves something to do with the altar, then there are only three people who could have done something to activate the barrier: Adlet, Goldov, and Nachetanya. It also clearly exonerates Maura--I wrote that post to try to prove that Maura was the culprit and ended up finding no evidence of that. Nachetanya's main actions (specifically being the one to send Adlet to the temple and her fit at the altar where she broke the tablet) are quite suspicious in retrospect, and Goldov has no similar suspicious actions to his name.

Precisely, in retrospect. As I said above, hindsight is always 20/20, but what about BEFORE that? Never mind that episode 11 is already at the end of the series, but at that point we couldn't even concretely narrow it down to two people, and I believe I specifically asked what the series gave us before the true barrier activation method that allows us to narrow it down to ONE. Because if there was such evidence it would mean that perhaps all those thousands of words of speculation posted before by others might've amounted to something, but as it stands, they're puffs in the wind.

Pidgeot18 wrote:
Adlet, it should be noted, had the same reaction: he went thinking back to those actions trying to exonerate Nachetanya and instead found only more damning evidence that she was the culprit. The only reason he didn't consider her beforehand was because he didn't want to consider her, and at that point, everyone else was following his lead.

Even if they really wanted to suspect Nache, they've got nothing that would really stick to her and her alone until, wait for it, the true barrier activation method, surprise surprise. Now that I think about it, after they all started suspecting Adlet, you could've just skipped to episodes 11-12 and not miss much of anything really.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Now that I think about it, after they all started suspecting Adlet, you could've just skipped to episodes 11-12 and not miss much of anything really.

Other than her direct lie to Goldov to try and persuade him to go after Hans in Ep. 9, I might agree with this little bit slightly.

Though you'd miss out on the parts of Adlet finding evidence to prove various of the other braves innocence in the process.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah cow girl design is terrible. It's like they took 5 character model, passed them all in a blander and stuck random bits together. When we first saw her face my initial reaction was "WTF is that thing?!". Why is she dressed as a cow? Why does she wear mitten? What's up with wearing a big complicated helmet when she doesn't wear any other piece of armor. Way too much make up. Those glass, blewww.

Maybe if they tone her down a bit, but as is, I just hope she's the seven and get offed in the first episode of S2. Assuming we do get an S2, there really banking on it seeing as pretty much nothing is explained.

Now bunny girl plan isn't so terrible at first glance (of course depending on how many human there are in the world), it seems like the demon human fight get really bloody so if the two side make peace you'll quickly "gain back" those dead people. But then you quickly realize it's terrible, biggest problem is that apparently fiend or the demon lord poison the earth he's on with miasma so that's not gonna make any deal work. Plus it's not like the peace will last forever so there'll probably be small war constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if its eventually revealed that human were responsible for the first war or something like that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
What's up with wearing a big complicated helmet when she doesn't wear any other piece of armor.

How much armor do you want her to wear? She's so covered head to toe she can barely move.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
meiam wrote:
What's up with wearing a big complicated helmet when she doesn't wear any other piece of armor.

How much armor do you want her to wear? She's so covered head to toe she can barely move.

Oh I didn't notice the legging, still nothing over her torso kinda make for a huge weak spot, which we saw when she showed her mark. Which is at the exact same spot as bunny girl, not sure if were supposed to notice that or that's just attempt at eye candy.
Assassin Eclipse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:

There's the mystery of how, and the mystery of who, and it was not possible to solve either before the characters did, unless you want to quote me evidence to the contrary.

I agree with you saying that the mystery of how cannot be solved. We don't know how things work in this world, what is possible and what is not possible. We can't come up with theories the way Adlet does.

As for the mystery of who, it's possible. I managed to come up with a string of theories to convict Nachetanya after episode 10, which I shared on this forum. You gotta look carefully in the episodes, take note of the small details. Every tiny phrase and action can become vital clues to finding out the culprit. Work with whatever you have, and you might find out who the fake is. Of course, at the time of writing, it was just a theory, and I might have been completely wrong about it. But isn't that part of the fun of following a mystery anime week after week? To try and figure out who's the fake one before the characters do, doesn't that make watching this show even more exciting (and frustrating, when you can't see any clues)?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Oh I didn't notice the legging, still nothing over her torso kinda make for a huge weak spot, which we saw when she showed her mark.

Look at it again. When she reveals her mark, she drops down her chest armor to reveal the pink shirt she's wearing underneath.

What I like most about her design is that she has ear tags in her helmet's ears. Laughing I can't decide whether having numbers on them would make them funnier or not.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Simply that at no point are the viewers allowed to solve the mystery before the series spells it out for us. Where's the fun in that?

Yes, speculation. Making a lot of guesses and assumptions is not the same as solving. Whether 10 words or 1000 words, you're no closer to reaching a probable solution because the series will not allow it. (multiple probable solutions maybe, but nothing conclusive (i.e. it could only be A or B).

I've already granted you that even though we could be reasonably sure of the who I wouldn't call it solvable on our own. But the how IS solvable. Sure its not EASY but it IS solvable. Give me a minute to check here...yep found it.
Raftina wrote:

Following this up, I think I have parts of it.

I did not read the LN or spoilers. Believe or disbelieve as you will.

{0} tl;dr
Adlet was partially right in episode 9.

1. Lauren lied to the braves about how to activate the barrier.
2. Riura, the saint of the sun, manipulated the sun to heat the area around the temple, creating an abnormally high amount of water vapor in the air.
3. The bombs the fiends dropped cause a lot of dust particles to float around the air, or the area was already dusty.
4. Just before Adlet blew open the temple door, Riura dropped the heat the sun was outputting, causing the water vapor to condense around the dust particles in the air.
5. The fake brave activated the barrier once she actually entered the temple.
6. I'm guessing Nachetanya is the fake.

{1} Adlet explained how Lauren was an accomplice.
In episode 9, Adlet explained to Flamie how Lauren was an accomplice. In brief: Lauren lied to the braves about how the barrier was activated. The fog that appeared when Adlet blew open the door was fake. The fake brave then used the real activation method when she touched the altar.

{2} A partly scientific and partly magical method can explain the fog.
The primary objection to Adlet's theory in episode 9 is that it lacks an explanation for how the fake fog could've formed. Flamie claimed that the saint of fog was not powerful enough to form the fog. [1] I am going to assume she isn't the 7th lying to Adlet, because:

1. Hans isn't there, and he could be explaining the same theory to Maura. If the saint of fog is powerful enough to blanket the forest with fog immediately, Maura would likely know about it. It would be at best pointless to lie (if she kills Adlet) and at worst dangerous to lie (if Adlet gets away and tells Hans and Maura about her lies).

2. It would mean the author is bringing in a hereto unnamed character.

I initially dismissed the possibility of a scientific explanation, because a scientific explanation requires massive amounts of machinery and/or storage to blanket a forest in fog. However, it's possible that we have a part scientific and part magical explanation.

{3} Fog forms when water vapor condenses around solid particles in the air.
At a very basic level, Fog forms when the following conditions are fulfilled: [2]

1. There must be solid particles in the air, and
2. Water vapor in the air condenses around the solid particles:

{4} Solid particles in the air can be natural or supplied through the fiends.
They are in a forest, so having solid particles in the air isn't unusual. The other possibility is that the fiends' bomb served the dual purpose of luring the braves to the temple as well as covering the area with dust particles, since we know they didn't bomb the temple directly. [3]

Regardless of which method is true, having solid particles in the air isn't a significant problem.

{5} Riura manipulated the sun to cause water vapor to condense.
You can get water vapor to condense in one of the following ways:
1. A rise in temperature above the norm causes water vapor to form, then a drop in temperature back to the norm causes condensation.
2. Water vapor is already sufficient at normal temperature, and a sudden drop in temperature causes the water vapor already in the air to condense.

Nachetanya and Adlet discussed Riura in episode 2, when Nachetanya mentioned that Riura was missing. [15] Riura was powerful enough to destroy a castle with heat rays from the sun. [4] Nachetanya mentioned that Riura is now too weak to be a brave candidate. [5]

However, Riura is still the saint of the sun, and she is presumably still powerful enough to manipulate the sun to a degree such that an abnormally high amount of water would be in the air, so it is not impossible for her to accomplish such a feat.

{6} There have been some visual hints that Riura is an accomplice.
I believe there have been some hints that Riura is an accomplice.

The first set of visual hints suggests that someone with the power to manipulate the sun is involved.
First, in episode 4, as the party was walking in the forest, we have a shot of the blazing sun in the sky. [6]

Second, we immediately followed the shot of the blazing sun with Adlet wiping sweat off his chin, suggesting that the temperature was hot. [7]

Third, just before Adlet went to help the woman he noticed around the temple, we have a shot of the sun being obscured by the clouds. [8]

The blazing sun caused water vapor to rise into the air, and the sun being obscured by the clouds cause a drop in temperature that caused water vapor to condense around solid particles in the air--either naturally or from the bombing.

These events can be the result of natural phenomena, but they are a bit too conveniently timed to be merely coincidence. These suggest that someone who can manipulate the sun or the clouds is involved. We have no idea whether there is even a saint who can manipulate clouds, so our suspicion is drawn toward the saint of the sun.

The second set of hints are visual.
Take a look at the clothes that the woman/monkey fiend near the temple was wearing. [9]

They look quite similar to what Maura is wearing. [10] it also looks quite similar to what Riura was wearing when she was depicted in the mural in episode 2. [11]

There are differences between the woman/monkey fiend's clothes and both Maura's and Riura's clothes. For example, Maura's dress is split down the left side, while the woman's dress was split down the middle. Maura does not wear the strange hat or the long sleeves. The woman's dress lacks all the ceremonial bling on Riura's dress, and Riura also lacks the long sleeves.

The dresses look similar enough that it could be the official uniform of the leader of the All Heaven's Temple, with Maura and woman wearing versions that lack all the ceremonial bling that appear on Riura's mural depiction.

Why did the monkey fiend choose that particular set of clothes? It seems that having someone who actually wore those clothes as the model would be a reasonable explanation.

{7} Riura is a better accomplice from a narrative point of view than another saint.
it is possible to get the condensation by using a person with ice powers--the saint of ice, for example--, to cool the air below normal temperature. Another saint is The saint of ice is less ideal of an accomplice than Riura, because the previous saint of ice was killed, and we have yet to be introduced to the current saint of ice. [12] We have not been introduced to any other saint that might have a similar power, and Flamie most likely told the truth about the saint of fog being not powerful enough to create the fog (see part 2).

{8} Riura being an accomplice explains some unusual statements.
Maura claims to not know any details about the barrier, despite being the leader of the All Heaven's Temple and having memorized the saints' abilities. [13]

Hans claims that the king told him to go to the fortress to learn about the barrier. [14]

At this point, we can be fairly certain that Hans and Maura are not accomplices, so at least 1 of the 2 is telling the truth. If both are telling the truth, the it seems that the only persons who would be in a better position to know about the barrier are the ones who created the barrier (saints of fog, illusion, seals, and salt) and Riura, the previous leader of the All Heaven's Temple. Riura has been named and has not been dismissed. She would be in a good position to brief the fiends and form this plan.

{9} Nachetanya is the prime suspect for the fake for being the only person who knew Riura was missing.
I'm guessing the fake is Nachetanya. She knew about Riura being missing. [15] Flamie did not, despite being the brave killer and presumably keeping track of her targets. [16] No one else mentioned Riura.

The irony about this deduction is that I am fairly confident about how the fake activated the barrier and who her accomplices are, but I am far less certain as to who the fake is.

{10} Motives
I don't know what the motives of the individuals are, but it's not hard to supply one for each. We know one of the fiend leaders is a very persuasive person, because he convinced almost everyone in Adlet's fiends to join the fiends voluntarily. With that in mind:

1. Lauren and the other soldiers. They were in a heavily besieged fortress and apparently tasked with a near suicide mission of trapping fiends in a barrier. It would not be hard to persuade some of them to defect. Even if that is too unreliable, keep in mind that these are faceless grunts. It's not hard to get some of the people who already joined the fiends for years (such as those from Adlet's village) to wear the uniforms for a while, though this does have the risk of the impersonators being recognized.

2. Nachetanya. Her country was recently ravaged by civil war. Her country ended up being taken over by the prime minister, and her father was reduced to a shell of a man. Her father ordered her execution, possibly under pressure from the prime minister, and she was forced to run. It's not hard to imagine a deal that she would take.

3. Riura. Perhaps she doesn't enjoy ceding her power to Maura.

References
[1] Episode 9, Flaming claiming the saint of fog isn't powerful enough to blanket the forest suddenly: http://i.imgur.com/CfI9sKH.jpg
[2] National Geographic explanation of fog formation: http://education.nationalgeographic.com/encyclopedia/fog/
[3] Episode 4, Adlet noticing the temple was unharmed after the bombing: http://i.imgur.com/HKtCudG.jpg
[4] Episode 2, Adlet noting Riura's feats: http://i.imgur.com/GPh4qvc.jpg
[5] Episode 2, Nachetanya notes Riura's current weakness: http://i.imgur.com/3yAMckj.jpg
[6] Episode 4, blazing sun: http://i.imgur.com/5Y691JT.jpg
[7] Episode 4, Adlet wiping sweat: http://i.imgur.com/nOYSRjQ.jpg
[8] Episode 4, sun being obscured: http://i.imgur.com/dbjy2a6.jpg
[9] Episode 4, woman/monkey fiend: http://i.imgur.com/IkRYq6Q.jpg
[10] Episode 5, Maura's clothes: http://i.imgur.com/qHvGXNz.jpg
[11] Episode 2, Riura in a mural: http://i.imgur.com/3yAMckj.jpg
[12] Episode 1, Nachetanya reporting the saint of ice's death: http://i.imgur.com/p78Vopa.jpg
[13] Episode 5, Maura claiming she only knew of the barrier: http://i.imgur.com/jrUjL8x.jpg
[14] Episode 6, Hans claiming the kint said to go to the fortress: http://i.imgur.com/jrUjL8x.jpg
[15] Episode 2, Nachetanya reports Riura missing: http://i.imgur.com/9m8Hzed.jpg
[16] Episode 4, Flamie claiming she doesn't know about Riura: http://i.imgur.com/wqQ4fZp.jpg

This is literally the word for word quote totally unchanged from page 13 of the main Rokka thread in the anime forum. Plus the date confirms that this was 3 or so days before ep 11 where the barrier mystery was revealed had even aired. And as I've already mentioned there were plenty of other people who hit upon the individual hints too. There were some realizing the fog might be of a scientific origin, some bringing up the sun saint, and I even saw some people guess that the way of activating the barrier we were told was wrong BEFORE Adlet brought it up.

Desa wrote:
Let's say you suspected the sun saint was somehow behind the heat early on and that she was somehow working for the fiends. Let's also say you know well that dropping the temperature of an area surrounded by cooler air will cause fog to form. You still wouldn't be able to conclusively reconcile these two facts because of what the characters were saying about the limits of a saint's powers. It took a loooong time to gather all the heat around the area as the sun saint could not instantaneously generate so much heat, and by the SAME measure, could not instantaneously release said heat. That was until Adlet dropped that crucial itty bitty little detail about how the death of a saint instantly magicks away the effects of their powers, something I don't believe we knew before Adlet casually brought it up. So we solved the mystery of 'how' at the same time as the characters, not before.

Ill agree that the exact logic behind the sun saint's power wasn't established. But why did it need to be? What we knew about her power before ep 11 was that she can generate an INSANE amount of heat to the point that she can literally melt a castle/keep/whatever it was. For all the different limitations that were established regarding all the different saint powers it never said if the sun saint could or couldn't cancel out her power instantly regardless of if she dies or does it willingly. Personally if I didn't know that fact regarding powers in any story I would guess that they CAN be canceled instantly. For that matter having death terminate any magical happenings instantly is something I would take for GRANTED in any story.

Desa wrote:
Nevermind that it was pure luck they even found the sun saint's body. Multiple smaller fiends could've eaten chunks of her, making accurate identification of the body virtually impossible.

Sure it was pure luck. I already said just that in my last post. Its some damn good proof of the theory because how else would the dead body of a super important old lady be there but proof of the theory is unnecessary. For example lets imagine that the scenario the poster I quoted above said was true where the sun saint was working willingly with the demons and would presumably have somehow worked her magic from outside the barrier without dying. Does that change anything in the grand scheme of things? Not really. The overall trick of heat area > lie about barrier activation method > lure Adlet > lower heat for fog > secretly activate barrier while among others would still be the same and that's the important part to figure out.

Desa wrote:
Same thing with the fake barrier activation method, which wasn't really a "hint" as Adlet directly stated it was probable, but as soon as he said it, he had no evidence to support it and such information became useless until they discovered the true barrier activation method, which was the same time they, and we the viewers, solved the "who" part.

Just because Adlet brought up the possibility himself without evidence that makes it not a hint? In this case I think we probably just have to agree to disagree. The way I see it just because it was dismissed at the time doesn't mean you could completely rule it out. You just need to figure out a different method for fog. As if the show were going "All right everyone were about halfway though. Now to give you all a poke in the right direction by calling into question when the barrier ACTUALLY activated." If I learned anything from Umineko its the 2 ways of tackling a closed room. Did a "crime" really occur in it or is it really a closed room? And again ill just restate that I agree with you as far as the who part is concerned.

Desa wrote:
Bottom line is all the details placed throughout the series were useful ONLY in retrospect, and not for actually solving anything, since before we knew the answer, all those details were essentially meaningless because they could have had numerous explanations, and we had no clue how they were related because the piece that tied them together was only revealed at the end.

Now this just sounds silly as if your trying to say that just because YOU couldn't solve the how the mystery is too hard and thus not possible for anyone. Of COURSE we didn't know how all the pieces related to each other. That's kind of the POINT when its a mystery. Or did you expect the show to just put a giant flashing neon red arrow next to anything that was going to be important? I mean look don't get me wrong the how is pretty damn tough to figure out IMO. Rokka certainly doesn't hold the viewers hand here. Its up to the viewer to be paying attention and even going back through in order to pull out all the pieces of the puzzle. Even then having the fog be of a scientific nature in a fantasy show with all sorts of magic is ingenious and one of the last things I would have considered on my own. Hard =/= impossible though. The hints may be well hidden but they ARE there. I kept up with both Rokka threads and I think literally every single hint was brought up at least once in them while this was airing.

As for the tablet at the end sure it may have been needed as far as the who is concerned but it serves no purpose for the how. You don't NEED to know the actual barrier activation method to determine the how. Knowing that "XYZ" activates the barrier isn't important compared to just knowing that the method given was false and that the barrier actually went up sometime after people started gathering. Its just like with the corpse of the sun saint where the actual barrier method doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things. (as far as the how is concerned I mean. Obviously it matters a lot for the who.)

If someone wants to say that Rokka fails as a mystery because the who was unsolvable (even though I think it comes close.) than I can't argue against that even if I personally disagree. To me though it succeeds because the mystery of the how was amazingly well put together and I say that part WAS solvable.
Desa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
@maxwell3094
Regarding Raftina's post:
Raftina wrote:
4. Just before Adlet blew open the temple door, Riura dropped the heat the sun was outputting, causing the water vapor to condense around the dust particles in the air.

You may think it unimportant but this particular point is pivotal in making this proposal work as a solution. At this point in time we only knew that Riura was the sun saint, and that her powers were related to the sun and by extension light and heat. The key point is that we have no evidence to suggest that Riura can willfully LOWER an area's temperature. She can only stop increasing the temperature, much like someone turning off a water faucet; The water has stopped flowing but the water that has already flowed out doesn't just instantly disappear. This was later revealed in the series when they explained that the only way to get an immediate temperature change was to kill Riura and have the temperature instantly drop back to normal. The fact that the influence of a saint's powers was tied to her life would not normally be important unless it was basically used as a magic loophole which could create an effect surpassing what a saint could normally do when alive. A really convenient and crucial plot detail.

But let's disregard all of that. Let's say that we did know for sure that Riura's death would've caused all the energy to instantly vanish. Riura doesn't have power over water or fog or clouds. There would have to be another principle or factor at work here, and if you were to reference the science of our world and try to apply it to their world, it wouldn't work. I expand on this in my fog explanation below for anyone who cares.

For something to be solvable does not mean we need to know everything, just that what is proposed does not conflict with what we do know, and that it does not raise more uncertainties of its own.
This was a very convincing proposal, but the notion that Riura can lower the temperature of a large area at the instantaneous speed that is required conflicts with what we know of saints and the limitations of their powers (you may not realize this but instantly removing a large amount of energy is actually just as great a feat as instantly producing the same amount of energy, which we know Riura cannot do), and the possibility that Riura can lower the temperature in the first place is itself an additional uncertainty. And lastly there's the grand leap in logic that requires that you assume the series will use pseudoscience in order for all this to be true. So this cannot be a proper solution, regardless of how close it is to the truth.

Finally, even though I ignored the part about how all the heat instantly disappearing violates the laws of conservation of energy because magic was involved, if I had read Raftina's proposal at the time it was written, I would have argued that the science behind fog formation would not have worked in this case, and that in order for what was proposed to be true, the series would have to do something that was scientifically inaccurate, which is not unusual in a work of fiction. And as it turns out the series did use the proposed pseudoscience or "science approximation".
So even if everything else is favorable, the "how" is solvable only if you want to assume that pseudoscience will likely be used, not solvable if you don't.

For the curious, I will explain why the science behind the fog is wrong, but otherwise you can stop reading here.

Raftina wrote:
{5} Riura manipulated the sun to cause water vapor to condense.
You can get water vapor to condense in one of the following ways:
1. A rise in temperature above the norm causes water vapor to form, then a drop in temperature back to the norm causes condensation.
2. Water vapor is already sufficient at normal temperature, and a sudden drop in temperature causes the water vapor already in the air to condense.

The National Geographic piece that was cited, while informative, does not clarify the fundamental relationship between temperature and water vapor.

First off, increasing the temperature does not CAUSE water vapor to form. A higher temperature only means a higher saturation point, in other words, the hotter it is, the higher the max cap. However, simply raising the saturation point does not necessarily mean it will be filled; It is only a POTENTIAL maximum. So unless you are already at 100% relative humidity (dew point), more water vapor will not enter the air simply because the temperature rose. Location is also extremely important, because unless an area is receiving moist air currents, the surrounding air will not have much water vapor regardless of how high the temperature is. Case in point, Death Valley, California; The hottest place on Earth is also one of the driest places on Earth.

Back to the series, it is heavily implied that the area around the temple is not usually encased in fog, as they were told that the indicator of the barrier activating was a fog forming around the temple. This would not be very helpful if the area was already encased in natural fog. They were only lied to about the barrier's activation method, not the barrier's effects. From this we can conclude that the area surrounding the temple is not normally at dew point, so therefore Riura raising the temperature will not affect the absolute humidity, since the air was not already saturated to begin with. Let's also not forget that water vapor is a gas, and all gasses inherently distribute themselves as evenly as possible, in other words, equilibrium. Water vapor will not concentrate in an area just because it is warmer than its surroundings.

Finally, there's the sun. Have you ever seen a fog form in the middle of a bright, sunny day? No? That's because fog is fragile and the sun would cause it to evaporate very quickly, if by some miracle it were to form in the first place. I found it somewhat ironic that they were using the sun saint in a ploy to create fog, when it's the sun that prevents fog from forming.

In the end, it all sounds great at first, but real science does not usually make for exciting plot scenarios. You usually have to ignore certain key aspects for it to work.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
We already had the fog discussion in depth in the series discussion thread and were chastised for being stupid. So I won't reiterate it here, nor will I continue with it there if you're still not convinced by those arguments that science + magic = fog. I'll just say there's more to fog creation than you're saying and leave it at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28