• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gatchaman Crowds insight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Budget wise, Gel is cutting the defense and military budget, so perhaps that's how he can afford all those reforms.

I would HOPE that Gatchaman Crowds can give the situation at LEAST as much consideration and presentation as The Simpsons once did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chMCU5VSuqw

The problem with trying to give EVERYONE what they want, is that often people want mutually exclusive things (as the grandpa was implying)
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Budget wise, Gel is cutting the defense and military budget, so perhaps that's how he can afford all those reforms.

I would HOPE that Gatchaman Crowds can give the situation at LEAST as much consideration and presentation as The Simpsons once did:

To be honest I'm pretty sure the story won't get to that point, at least I don't think they're planning to go particularly deep into financial/etc. issues. Someone (Rui? Rizumu?) will probably do something re: the CROWDS ban very soon, and that will eventually end Gel's office run, too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

The problem with trying to give EVERYONE what they want, is that often people want mutually exclusive things (as the grandpa was implying)

The Simpsons did it first, and The Simpsons did it better!

This whole arc had me thinking of The Simpsons, which was always so good as portraying groupthink and mob mentality in comical ways. Plus, The Simpsons had an episode in which aliens ran for president! (Treehouse of Horror VII, season 8, episode 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Katze as an avatar of destructive individualism being terrified of Gelsadra as an avatar of destructive collectivism is a pretty wonderful contrast~ Where Katze was intent on having his inability to function in society vindicated as a product of a fundamentally corrupt aspect of society that refused to see the truth of selfish individuality that he knew (implying that Katze really just wanted to thrive but felt supremely disillusioned), Gel is just determined to eradicate all individuality, good or bad, by enforcing a single idea of how things should be done: there's no moral duality to Gel like there was with Katze, no underlying humanity or motivation that can be reasoned with or appealed to or exploited, symbolized by his lack of a thought bubble. The appearance of presumable "enforcers" of Gel's perspective marks a pretty fantastic turn for the show's writing, and is going to be a great contrast against CROWDS and how they were used as direct extensions of individual will rather than manifestations of a collective one.

All that said I'm still not sure what the hell the point of Rizumu was or is. His ideas seemed nonsensical at the beginning and banal now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
They seem to have slipped into dictatorship out of sheer laziness and lack of thought. The votes are basically meaningless since most people just cede their power to Gel. Can't see this happening in the US, at least the same way. Americans are too individualistic to want everyone's thoughts, opinions and feelings to be the same. Though the same lazy, thoughtless approach to political problems is present, along with the appreciation, on some level, for dictatorship that accompanies such things. The appeal of dictators is their decisiveness and quickness to enact their policies, especially compared to democracy, which, as in recent years in the US, can getting bogged down in partisan bickering and thereby stalemate. This leads to people wanting more decisiveness and leadership from their leaders, thinking that the president can make anything happen if they put their mind to it (a belief called the Green Lantern Theory of the Presidency, explained here http://www.vox.com/2014/5/20/5732208/the-green-lantern-theory-of-the-presidency-explained). You do see some appreciation of dictators, such as with Vladimir Putin (even after the situation in Ukraine) or Egyptian military dictator Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (both were elected like Gelsadra, though they were less duly so), praising their decisiveness and leadership, though still calling the president out for what they consider dictatorial moves. So while Americans probably would be creeped out by the uniting people's mind part, many would appreciate the decisiveness and ability to get things done.
-Ana-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
One little thing I noticed (also probably others too) in episode 7 was the French flag and it's colors; Liberty, Equality and Fraternity. I'm guessing the creators are referencing the French Revolution.
kamui85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THIS SHOW? Like seriously, i really liked the first season, action and concept wise, but Insight feels like it doesnt know where the hell its going!! the suits have BARELY appeared since the first episode, dont they have budget for the CG or something? urghh its driving me crazy!!
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THIS SHOW? Like seriously, i really liked the first season, action and concept wise, but Insight feels like it doesnt know where the hell its going!! the suits have BARELY appeared since the first episode, don't they have budget for the CG or something? urghh its driving me crazy!!

On the contrary, it feels like Insight knows exactly what it's doing. But don't worry, the recent developments look like there's now an excuse to have the transformed Gatchaman fighting inhuman mobs to appease those who think that shows that explore their central conflict without overt violence aren't their thing.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THIS SHOW? Like seriously, i really liked the first season, action and concept wise, but Insight feels like it doesnt know where the hell its going!! the suits have BARELY appeared since the first episode, don't they have budget for the CG or something? urghh its driving me crazy!!

Dude, Crowds was always a more cerebral show. It needed a reason to show the suits, and now it has it... And I believe it will be so for the next 5 episodes.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
There is a self-referential side to the story of this season too, beyond the political intrigue that it is dominated by right now. Gatchaman on its surface is a shounen superhero show. Something akin to Tsubasa's view of who the Gatchaman are supposed to be, they're heroes out to save the world. One common retort for shounen series heroes/protagonists is that everything in the world would be great/fine if everyone just had the same thoughts, or felt the same way. Part of the Newtype argument in Gundam Universal Century is the idea that because Newtypes can sense other's emotions and thoughts they can avert conflict. Gatchaman seems to be deconstructing the same argument, albeit in a different vein.

I remain interested in seeing what the endgame here will be, however. As everyone knows (I believe) Gundam never produced an answer in its Newtype story. Universal Century as a story continues seemingly indefinitely with returns to new conflicts along the same lines. Gatchaman seems to be painting a similarly fatalistic future - humanity is too self-destructive to handle a power like CROWDS so can't "update", but lacking the self-motivation and direction necessary to advance otherwise, so it sets about spinning its wheels in a slow moving if not semi-stagnant muck. There is a middle ground that could have been established relative to Gatchaman, but they've seemingly already blown past that option, and I doubt they'd circle back to such a convenient out, but we'll see.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
just here to say that I kinda lost it when hajime started talking ot her boobs.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
So the purge begins. Funny how things progress from "Why can't we all get along?" to "Death to the nonbelievers!". Tsubasa so fixated on harmony that she misses her original intent, which was to make everyone happy. Instead of more peace and harmony, they get more conflict and violence. I wonder how the people will react to the murder of those who are not thrilled about the whole becoming one thing. Some like Jo will be virulently opposed to this, as they should, especially the family and friends of the free thinkers. Others, unfortunately, will join the Kuu-sama in calling for becoming one or death. As the old man is one of those free thinkers, I wonder if the old man will need to die for Tsubasa to realize this whole becoming one thing is a terrible as it seems to us. I can see why Rizumu called them apes, as they seem to be allergic to thought and the examined life.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
So the purge begins. Funny how things progress from "Why can't we all get along?" to "Death to the nonbelievers!". Tsubasa so fixated on harmony that she misses her original intent, which was to make everyone happy. Instead of more peace and harmony, they get more conflict and violence. I wonder how the people will react to the murder of those who are not thrilled about the whole becoming one thing. Some like Jo will be virulently opposed to this, as they should, especially the family and friends of the free thinkers. Others, unfortunately, will join the Kuu-sama in calling for becoming one or death. As the old man is one of those free thinkers, I wonder if the old man will need to die for Tsubasa to realize this whole becoming one thing is a terrible as it seems to us. I can see why Rizumu called them apes, as they seem to be allergic to thought and the examined life.

Tsubasa misses it because her "original intent" was banal and thoughtless. It's like a 3 year old whose parents are in the process of getting a divorce, wondering why they're fighting all the time. Her concept of "getting along" (or "our hearts as one") is as rudimentry as can be: unlike Hajime, her view of "getting along" is mindless compliance and total obedience to leadership (they don't even vote anymore, they just agree to "leave everything to Gel-sama").

When people like Tsubasa say "why can't our hearts be as one", what they mean is "why don't you submit to the will of another". In this case, everyone would "get along" if they simply mindlessly obeyed Gel, who knows what is best for everyone. You can't possibly know what is best for yourself, and your individuality is an impediment for moving forward as a society.

Ultimately, it's not really about moving forward, it's about control. For one reason or another, some people seek to control others, to take away their autonomy and individual purpose and direction. Gel (and Tsubasa) justify themselves by believing they are doing something noble. They don't want to understand those who think differently. For Tsubasa, that's "too difficult". It's much simpler if everyone submits to a single guiding source, which is, of course, themselves (or Gel, specifically). And now Gel himself isn't even thinking, but merely following the emotional appeal of "unity", so it's the blind leading the blind, and everyone is being reduced to unthinking, unreflective apes.
Grasser1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Crazy theory time:

In this episode, Katze said that the Kuu-sama were "just as shitty as me inside." We know that Katze has fought Gelsadra in the past and ran away, right? So that got me to thinking

In the past, Katze was a Gatchaman, right? (That's how he was able to give Rui and Rizumu their NOTES.) What if Gelsadra came to Katze's planet in the past. Just like on Earth Gelsadra quickly took over, and the Gatchaman supported him just as Paiman is doing now. Katze, still good at the time, was the only person to see through Gelsadra. Inevitably, the Kuu-sama came and Katze decided he had to finish off Gelsadra before he could destroy Katze's homeworld. Of course, they fight, and Katze has to flee in defeat. As Katze is leaving, his species finishes "becoming one" with the Kuu-sama, becoming Kui-sama themselves.

Watching his planet surrender themselves to Gelsadra disillusioned Katze. He decides that beings don't deserve life as he watched his people so easily give it up. This brings him to where we see him in Season 1, trying to destroy everything.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Grasser1 wrote:
Crazy theory time:

In this episode, Katze said that the Kuu-sama were "just as shitty as me inside." We know that Katze has fought Gelsadra in the past and ran away, right? So that got me to thinking

In the past, Katze was a Gatchaman, right? (That's how he was able to give Rui and Rizumu their NOTES.) What if Gelsadra came to Katze's planet in the past. Just like on Earth Gelsadra quickly took over, and the Gatchaman supported him just as Paiman is doing now. Katze, still good at the time, was the only person to see through Gelsadra. Inevitably, the Kuu-sama came and Katze decided he had to finish off Gelsadra before he could destroy Katze's homeworld. Of course, they fight, and Katze has to flee in defeat. As Katze is leaving, his species finishes "becoming one" with the Kuu-sama, becoming Kui-sama themselves.

Watching his planet surrender themselves to Gelsadra disillusioned Katze. He decides that beings don't deserve life as he watched his people so easily give it up. This brings him to where we see him in Season 1, trying to destroy everything.

I don't know if it's the case or not. But this theory is actually brilliant. I'd actually love it if it were the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7