• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Wake Up, Girls! Theatrical Films Titled, Dated

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Slightly excited about this because of the recent idols hype. What I'm looking forward to is hopefully improved songs since the TV series' were just so-so imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the more grounded and slightly gritty WUG! to the ubiquitous Love Live!, but I realize I'm in a tiny minority on this. I'll be stunned if we get these movies here. (C'mon, Crunchyroll…)
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to the next step on their not ripping off AKB48 journey.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I prefer the more grounded and slightly gritty WUG! to the ubiquitous Love Live!, but I realize I'm in a tiny minority on this. I'll be stunned if we get these movies here. (C'mon, Crunchyroll…)

I personally like both and consider them two very different series for the reasons you stated. That being said, I am indeed "sad" to see that WUG, like many others, gets overshadowed and will be mostly forgotten in no time due to animation issues and (supposedly lackluster) songs. The story-telling and how the series developed the characters were really the strongest points it had going for it, and I find those elements much more important than others seen as obligatory for a franchise to be a success.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:

I personally like both and consider them two very different series for the reasons you stated. That being said, I am indeed "sad" to see that WUG, like many others, gets overshadowed and will be mostly forgotten in no time due to animation issues and (supposedly lackluster) songs. The story-telling and how the series developed the characters were really the strongest points it had going for it, and I find those elements much more important than others seen as obligatory for a franchise to be a success.

I feel the same way. I get two very different feels from the respective series. In a lot of ways, I find it difficult to compare the two personally. One way to put it would be that I don't go to watch WUG for the same feeling I get from Love Live and vice versa.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Wake Up, Girls is being relegated to obscurity as the other school idol shows are competing for popularity.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The QUALITY of WUG was a huge turn off. I actually preferred WUG Zoo's jokes at the show's expense more than the actual show.

Also, it isn't so much that the songs are sub par as that there also aren't many of them. They have like one album of songs. Obviously the franchise isn't as old as LL or Idolmaster, but the other franchises put out new singles weekly or monthly for the most part. The most memorable song WUG had was their OP.

I will still see the movies though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
WUG is easily my favorite idol show, so I'm thrilled to get more info on the sequel movies. Every other idol show just tiptoes around all the negatives of the idol industry as to pretend that they don't exist. WUG is the only one that dared to show the side where producers can deceive the girls and take the money from investors and simply run away, or how starting out idol groups are subject to humiliating tasks and can encounter sexual harassment at any turn. It shows how the idol industry has been reduced down to a simple formula and that the girls who do not fit that formula will be cast out. It shows the ridiculous amount of effort (both physically and emotionally) required during the idol auditions.

It's the only anime that actually shows what a group of girls who want to be idols have to go through in order to be idols. And that the creators specifically chose girls who had no prior experience of any kind made the performances seem so much more genuine.

And I'll take admittedly mediocre dancing animation over CGI abominable MMD-esque animation any day. The most memorable WUG song was Tachiagare from the prequel short movie.
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
With the rise of idol anime like WUG, Love Live!, and iDOLM@STER, will there be a time when the genre of idols die off, and when that happens, what's next?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:
With the rise of idol anime like WUG, Love Live!, and iDOLM@STER, will there be a time when the genre of idols die off, and when that happens, what's next?

Pretty sure it goes:

• Catgirls
  • Maids
  • Imoutos
  • Anthropomorphized weapons
  • Idols
  • Monster girls
  • Repeat
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:

Pretty sure it goes:

• Catgirls
  • Maids
  • Imoutos
  • Anthropomorphized weapons
  • Idols
  • Monster girls
  • Repeat

Not being rude, but can you give me a few examples for each of those genres?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:
Not being rude, but can you give me a few examples for each of those genres?

Um, OK? That's a higher level of detail than most people want from a dumb forum joke, but at risk of an admin slap for going off-topic:

• Catgirls - Dominion Tank Police, Merle from Escaflowne
  • Maids - Mahoromatic, Hand Maid Mai, He Is My Master
  • Imoutos - Oreimo, My Sister Is Among Them!
  • Anthropomorphized weapons - Strike Witches, Upotte!!, Kantai Collection
  • Idols - Love Live!, WUG!, AKB0048
  • Monster girls - Monster Musume

So, if the pattern repeats as predicted, look forward to Nyan Nyan! Neko♡Love Cat Master sometime in 2017.
maoyen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
I can't stand idol anime, but I liked how Wake Up Girls showed the dark side of the industry (sleazy managers, girls being treated like products...). I wouldn't mind seeing a second season. They really should just stop focusing on the Wota crowd, and just make a decent drama anime. The material's there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1