• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pac-Man Creator Attends Pixels Film Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
10 minutes of a nerd bursting multiple blood vessels reviewing the film, for anyone who cares.Just watch the original short film by Patrick Jean if you want a quick dose of retro game characters causing pixalmania, without any of the Happy Madison scam attached to it.

MovieBob isn't really a good choice he was an employee of a Disney subsidiary and hates everything Sony touches considering them to have permanently ruined gaming by releasing the playstation.
I'm not really familiar with the guy, but I can't say I agree with you.

I haven't seen the movie (And I don't plan to any time soon) but from all the clips I've seen and my previous experiences with Happy Madison I think I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect. And the picture I've painted in my mind is more or less identical to the picture he painted. I doubt that's a coincidence.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sharknado season 3 premiered last night - and it was trending.

This movie will do just fine.

True. It may also attract the crowd that must see something, due to the bad reviews it gets.

I'll just steer clear.

And, I really wanted to see a giant Pac Man...oh well...
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If early reviews are right

>taking Rotten Tomatoes more seriously than cat food

Don't, make your own opinion and don't encourage sheeple behavior. I will watch it regardless of what normies think.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Don't, make your own opinion and don't encourage sheeple behavior. I will watch it regardless of what normies think.

You're really stickin' it to the man by handing multimillionaire Adam Sandler, that bastion of rebellion and counterculture, your $12 for his latest movie everyone hates.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

You're really stickin' it to the man by handing multimillionaire Adam Sandler, that bastion of rebellion and counterculture, your $12 for his latest movie everyone hates.

Considering it iS a Happy Madison Production that Adam bought out from some other producer when it needed to be picked up--so he could play the "Aging gamer manchild who just wants to be a family man with hot girl and kid"--it must warm Iwatani's heart to see Akayama play him as the Wacky, Usually Asian, Racist-Gag Foreigner Geek who shows up in every Sandler film. Confused

So what product plugs do we get in THIS one, besides the obvious Namco games and Mini cars? Usually Sandler works them into the plot and blasts them right in the trailer, like with Bed Bath & Beyond in "Click" or Dick's Sporting Goods in "Blended".
But, on the upside, at least he's not on vacation this time.
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

>taking Rotten Tomatoes more seriously than cat food

Amen, dude.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Same reason I paid money to see Age of Extinction on opening day.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
10 minutes of a nerd bursting multiple blood vessels reviewing the film, for anyone who cares.Just watch the original short film by Patrick Jean if you want a quick dose of retro game characters causing pixalmania, without any of the Happy Madison scam attached to it.

Yeeeeah....

I don't like Adam Sandler either, but really, Movie Bob is not someone who I'd ever use to voice any opinion.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I'm very happy to have played some part in a game-themed movie," Iwatani stated at the premiere. "I think it's a well-done film that families and game fans can enjoy."

What happened to Wreck-It Ralph? Pac-Man was in it.

invalidname wrote:
Can special guests at movie premieres go to the box office afterwards and ask for a refund? If early reviews are right, Iwatani-san would have been justified in doing so.

Well, the special guests not only see it for free, they're given special accomodations to make suit their every needs. There's nothing to refund.

Ali07 wrote:
True. It may also attract the crowd that must see something, due to the bad reviews it gets.

I'll just steer clear.

And, I really wanted to see a giant Pac Man...oh well...

It seems to be aimed at 80's fans, or at least early 80's fans. I figured Regular Show was already fulfilling that niche, and they'll get their fix once the film adaptation of Ready Player One gets released.

Nevertheless, Pixels has beaten Ready Player One to the cinemas, so they can nab them first.

This is, of course, assuming these 80's fans are going to go watch Pixels in droves. Universal tried appealing to retro gamers with Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and it fell flat.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Well, I think I'll be watching Wreck-It Ralph soon. Have yet to see it. Pac-Man! Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Well, I think I'll be watching Wreck-It Ralph soon. Have yet to see it. Pac-Man! Laughing

Leaving aside the videogame-cameo issue (and the Street Fighter characters get more screen time than Sonic or Pac-Man combined), anyone who praises Disney's Frozen without having seen Wreck-It Ralph deserves to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2