• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Worst Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Although most are generationally conditioned to say that Odin: Space Sailor, thought it was accepted conventional wisdom that the punishing marathon of Rintaro's Harmageddon was the worst anime feature ever made?
(To which I will heartily attest. Sad )

Although I'll semi-agree with Hiro the constant subliminal "Text bombs", in the -Monogatari series is a contender for Most Obnoxiously Artsy, if not badly animated or plotted.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
My vote would probably have to go to Garzey's Wing, with honorable mentions to Kiko Sennyou Rouran and Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

Quote:
he had one burning question: Why do so many people want to gather in a big room to watch stuff that's bad

Because human beings are terrible things and like to decry things they don't like as the worst thing ever, especially if it's mainstream because that makes them feel rebellious and important.

Also, I think we're seeing varying definitions of "worst." This isn't about anime that offend us somehow, it's about just anime that is very not good.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
I think some people here are confusing things they don't like with objectively bad anime that even the people who made would admit, "Look, we had two hundred yen and an afternoon to make. Of course it's crap."

For recent examples, I'd go with Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi. I mean, just look at the PV and tell me the people making it didn't treat it as a joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnOgYboulfI

Although by that standard, Ninja Slayer would qualify too.
Jafwasw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
worst anime I can remember paying money for would have to be ICE, what a total stinker!! not so bad it's good, just apallingly bad

I bought the darn thing after reading the reviews because I didn't believe it could possibly be that awful and if it was I'd least get some laughs out of it, more fool me, nope wrong on both counts, it was worse.

Other dishonourable mentions would be:

Kimera, bad inept writing with mediocre animation but promoted like there was no tomorrow by ADV back in the day (ADV's answer to MD Geist perhaps?)

more recently I would submit that Wizard Barristers should win some sort of award for so totally taking the promise of the first 9 or so episodes and putting it in a blender and flushing the resultant puree down the toilet (not just the last episode the last 3 were a mess to one degree or another)
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
I wasn't really taking any shots at you, DuelGundam2099, but I was experiencing a general reflexive response to one of my pet peeves produced by the topic itself: the confusion of "opinion" for "quality." You're absolutely right that any particular movie, book, song, or other cultural artifact is going to be loved (or at least tolerated) by some people, and detested by others. However, the statement, "I hated this anime," is not equivalent to the statement, "this anime is bad."

A subjective opinion is formed instantly, often subconsciously, and in concert with one's own personality and preferences; thus, no one can tell you what you like or dislike is "wrong," but you also can't tell anyone else that what they dislike or like is wrong. "Love" and "hate" are 100% valid, but only for the person who feels them.

"Quality," on the other hand, is something that is reached by consensus between multiple groups: critics, other professionals in the field, and the audience are the most important of these. The weight given to each group's opinion may vary depending on the nature of the work. (Thus I thoroughly agree with your statement about corn bread and doctors!) Quality is also a function of time: a truly bad work of art will naturally be forgotten, often despite initial popularity (check out some of the most popular Victorian three-volume novels to see what I mean), while things that persist in cultural memory must naturally possess some attribute of true interest.

Human nature dictates that it's incredibly easy to confuse opinion with quality, but it is possible to distinguish if one is careful. I'm sure I don't always succeed, but I do try. Case in point: I kind of enjoyed watching Hanoka because it made me feel good about my own open-mindedness. I fully appreciated how awful it truly was, but I kept on telling myself, "just think about how historically interesting this may be in a decade!" Well, here we are, almost a decade later, and sure enough the series has been justly consigned to the dustbin of history. Another example might be School Days: I hated School Days, hated it with an intensity I usually reserve for rapists or people who kill small animals for sport. Of course I hated its immorality and the very concept of empathizing with any of its abominable characters, but most of all I hated the silliness of the whole affair: around episode 7 or 8 I started screaming at my TV, "BUT WHERE ARE ALL THE ADULTS?!" and did not stop until the last nice boat had sailed. But! At the same time, I recognized that School Days was an instant cultural touchstone, an anime watched, re-watched, discussed, and now firmly ensconced in the "what kind of anime viewer are you?" watchlist. In my opinion, it's utter tripe. Qualitatively, it's no masterpiece, but it's absolutely worthwhile to watch and discuss.

...And if anyone actually reads all that I will eat my hat. Anime cry This is why I almost never let myself post on forums...

EDIT: Damnit. Just read what Zac wrote.

Last edited by Neko-sensei on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total
NotAnEvaClone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
My vote would probably have to go to Garzey's Wing, with honorable mentions to Kiko Sennyou Rouran and Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

Quote:
he had one burning question: Why do so many people want to gather in a big room to watch stuff that's bad

Because human beings are terrible things and like to decry things they don't like as the worst thing ever, especially if it's mainstream because that makes them feel rebellious and important.

Also, I think we're seeing varying definitions of "worst." This isn't about anime that offend us somehow, it's about just anime that is very not good.

Ugh, Garzey's Wing is the single worst anime I have ever seen.

I agree completely about your definition of anime that offends versus anime that is poorly made.
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
The Isshoni Training series deserves mention. 40 minutes of watching a girl sleep. What is wrong with me?

Hiro94 wrote:
Honestly?Any of the monogatary series.My brother forced me to watch this one series where the main character and his sister brush each other's teeth.I was like seriously dude this entertains you?I think it was towards the end of the series if I'm not mistaken

That's Nisemonogatari. Did you watch the first season? I'd say Nisemono is the worst of the series, and definitely not where you should start watching the series. The erotic teeth brushing is really weird, but I think that was sorta the point of the scene. It was awkward for both the characters and the viewers and by the end I found it to be pretty funny.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Dracula: Sovereign of the damned. What do you get when you try to adapt 70 plus issues of 70s marvel comic into anime? You get a weird, disjointed, horrible anime.
Garzey's Wing. God this was horrible. Aura Battler Dubine was a decent show and this is just insult to that show.
Le Chevalier D'Eon. Boring boring boring. Other then that not so hidden yaoi trying to be hidden in possession plot line. Dumb characters that ruin interesting idea and ending that was even dumber.
Gilgamesh. If Le Chevalier D'Eon was boring this one was even worse and almost put me to sleep several times. Bland characters and dumb story. When something happens to a main character and you just don't even care then you are doing something wrong. Also ending that makes you scream WTF just happen?
Dragon Ball Z. At times one long boring fight scene that never goes anywhere. The plots take to long to go anywhere and when they do the holes in them are big enough to drive several trucks through. Characters are there just to be killed or just used at plot points in death. Death treated as such a joke characters are actually waiting to be wish like it was nothing. Buu storyline one of the sickest in anime history where buu eats everyone in the world. Think of what that means. Babies, pregnant women, etc.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Garzey's Wing is actual a title that Justin and Zac have slammed about on older ANNCast episodes. They also used to slame Heat Guy J.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Guilty Crown and Cross Ange were excellent anime

We're all free to have different opinions, but...are you serious? I think there are a lot of problems with this statement, especially coming from someone who hates Valvrave of all things. That said, the fact is neither of them are the worst anime of all time.

Plus I'm not even a huge fan of Kill la Kill and would consider it overrated, but there's really no point of comparison between it and the sorts of shows mentioned in the article.

Kadmos1 wrote:
They also used to slame Heat Guy J.

They made jokes about it, but Zac and Justin weren't hating on the series. Honestly, I would argue Heat Guy J was a pretty good show. Just one that couldn't possibly live up to the marketing hype nor make back the ridiculous cost of licensing it.

Last edited by jroa on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Puni Puni Poemii
Kill la Kill

Great bait guy.

My personal least favorite is Psychic Wars. I give it a 5/10, because I only paid attention for 5 minutes.

[i am so clever]
diadumenian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Which episode of Wizard Barristers is the particularly bad one? It wasn't a great series, but not a terrible one, and none of the episodes stand out in my mind as awful/unwatchable.

The problem with the "worst anime" category is that you really have to watch the whole thing for it to qualify, no? That eliminates all the bad series I didn't finish.

I nominate School Days
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Quote:
No, no, no—many anime fans may often have terrible taste (as may many fans of any medium), but if a series is even somewhat popular, it clearly has sufficient redeeming attributes to be better than the things listed in this article. (Even if those redeeming attributes are just, "interesting breasts," this means that the anime has a base level of competency something like Charge Man Ken lacks.) We're looking for things that are objectively intolerable here, not things you merely dislike.

Yeah, the article is pointing to the equivalent of profoundly incompetent B-movie fare like THINGS or SUPERVAN or ELIMINATORS. Stuff that doesn't even belong in the same conversation with stuff like Valvrave - it transcends merely 'bad'.

Valvrave and stuff like it that people really hate or consider to be the worst thing they've ever seen, that's a completely different conversation - these are the anime equivalents of BATTLEFIELD EARTH or BATMAN & ROBIN, truly terrible mainstream, sincere studio productions with a mountain of expensive marketing and creative teams that by all accounts should've known better. It's a totally different conversation. If I'm talking about Valvrave and you bring up Twinkle Nora Rock Me, we're talking about two different things.

It's kinda like if I say the burger I had at an upscale burger place was the worst burger I've had recently and you say "oh yeah? well literally eating dog shit would be worse than that". It sure would, I guess? That isn't what I was talking about. It's a weird oneupsmanship that kinda kills the conversation before it even happens and misses the point.

How did you survive siting through the masterpiece that is Things Shocked?

The article really makes me want to check out Charge Man Ken,which sounds like some hilarious schlock. The worse I seen was probably the Final Fantasy:Legend of the Crystals OVA's. Has little to do with the series,and looks like shit. It does some funny WTF moments though.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Garzey's Wing was great as long as you saw Dunbine beforehand, once you do most of your questions are automatically answered. I still don't get the hate.
Quote:
However, the statement, "I hated this anime," is not equivalent to the statement, "this anime is bad."

Oh THAT is what you were trying to get across. My bad. Laughing
Quote:
"Quality," on the other hand, is something that is reached by consensus between multiple groups: critics, other professionals in the field, and the audience are the most important of these. The weight given to each group's opinion may vary depending on the nature of the work. (Thus I thoroughly agree with your statement about corn bread and doctors!) Quality is also a function of time: a truly bad work of art will naturally be forgotten, often despite initial popularity (check out some of the most popular Victorian three-volume novels to see what I mean), while things that persist in cultural memory must naturally possess some attribute of true interest.

Very thought out and well worded. However, the main problem with defining quality like that is that it sort of shuts out minority opinion or outright ignores counterarguments which can be done. I have seen reviews in length that both praise and loath the Star Wars prequels; go to the comments section of nearly any Nostalgia Critic review and you'll see people making sound arguments of why they enjoy the movies he likes and vice versa. I myself see Batman and Robin as an awesome movie, mainstream and all. Laughing That mentality is not necessarily wrong by themselves and are perfectly okay for a critic to make. The issue is the sheeple, the people that don't know any better and just blindly follow what the majority opinion is, essentially parroting/band wagoning. I remember a time not too long ago that the 2003 movie Daredevil was considered mixed, but as soon as Nostalgia Critic, Honest Trailers, and Cinema Sins reviewed it the movie has become a standard "you must consider this movie bad or else". Same with those laughably bad "reviews" of the prequels Mr. Plinkett did (he acts like he speaks for everyone and demands you have specific reactions/thoughts at certain points). It's the main reason I am a relativist, I go with my own gut because not only because I don't agree with critics and fans half the time, but I just can't trust them on their idea of quality because sometimes there are obvious holes in it. Take this for example:

"Characters must be relatable so we can insert ourselves!"

"The author should not have his insert character!"

So wait, the creator of what you are experiencing is not allowed to make his own rules while the audience must have a sense of entitlement?

Then there is cultural boundaries. Take this movie for example: Critics and the domestic audience hated it, but the foreign market loved it. The effects didn't date to well, the action was considered too choreographed to have emotion behind it, the violent moments were deemed unnecessary, the acting was considered bad with dialects being a distraction, the music was considered stock, the pacing was a mess, there was a lack of social commentary which made the art house critics despise it, and the cinematography was mediocre at best. What movie am I talking about? A Star Wars prequel? The Hobbit? Daredevil? Alone in the Dark? Batman and Robin? Waterworld? Jaws: The Revenge? Troll 2? Superman 4? Green Lantern? Manos The Hands of Fate? Spider-Man 3? The 2005 version o Fantastic Four? The 1976 version of King Kong? A Michael Bay film? Jupiter Ascending? Paul Blart Mall Cop? Godfather Part 3? Dragon Ball Evolution? The Last Airbender? North? Plan 9 From Outer Space? Nope.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Yes, the Ang Lee movie. This goes to show us that many different cultures have different standards in quality.

Quote:
We're all free to have different opinions, but...are you serious?

Absolutely.
Quote:
Great bait guy.

That was not bait.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
My answer is Bus Gamer. It has an okay premise but does nothing good with it, okay character designs but the characters themselves are so ill-defined that you just don't care about them and to top it all off, the animation is atrocious. Luckily, it is only three episodes, but checking it out would still be a waste of time.

I also read the manga which it was adapted from to see if that would be any better, and nope! Nothing there. Nothing at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15