• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Older Shows Go Unstreamed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
With the StrikerS and ViVid seasons constantly being left in the cold of no-man's land, it seems that MGL Nanoha is destined to end up with the likes of You're Under Arrest, To Heart, Super Gals, and Kodocha: forever unfinished and forgotten. I know this may be a doom-and-gloomy outlook to have in this case to some, but, unfortunately, that's the harsh reality of it. Confused *Sigh...*

You're Under Arrest and Super Gals were both finished, but Sentai and Nozomi respectively. The later seasons weren't dubbed, but they were released some time ago, and are still available on home video and in streaming form.

As for the KyoAni shows, the animation studio usually has nothing to with who licenses it overseas. Most studios, including Kyoto, don't own the rights to the shows domestically or internationally. Sentai got K-On! because they get pretty much all the TBS shows. Others, like Haruhi, have gone to whoever offered the most money.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
... the likes of You're Under Arrest, To Heart, Super Gals, and Kodocha: forever unfinished and forgotten. I know this may be a doom-and-gloomy outlook to have in this case to some, but, unfortunately, that's the harsh reality of it. Confused *Sigh...*

I watched "You're Under Arrest" all the way through, plus the movie, even though my only previous connection with it was the ED "1/2" by Chiaki Ishikawa, and was amused to find at least one real-life place that I had visited (near Oume) was in the anime.

If you can forgive the silliness of the superhero and bargain-hunting lady, the other episodes and movie work well, and it would be great to see some kind of collector's release (even if only a Japanese edition with existing subs and dubs for all episodes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
If you can forgive the silliness of the superhero and bargain-hunting lady, the other episodes and movie work well, and it would be great to see some kind of collector's release (even if only a Japanese edition with existing subs and dubs for all episodes.

I found the episodes of Scooter Mama and Strikeman to be amongst the funniest moments of YUA. Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
Actually, the first legit streams were started as part of the spring '08 season with Blassreiter and the first Tower of Druaga. Even a few years later, some older shows did see legit streams.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Actually, the first legit streams were started as part of the spring '08 season with Blassreiter and the first Tower of Druaga. Even a few years later, some older shows did see legit streams.

Streaming was around for longer than that, those were just the first simulcasts; initially it was only older titles. BOST and TAN both started streaming online in November 2007, and there were earlier scattered examples.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Seems like another thing these "missing link" series have in common is that they're related to King Records Japan. It was the same deal with Symphogear until CR started streaming the latest season GX while the first and second seasons aren't in their listings. Imagine that.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

We're also forgetting that legit streaming's only been around for three years or so, ...

It has been more than double that (and that's just if you are talking about simulcasts, not catalog titles).

Don't forget that CR went "legit" at the beginning of 2009, which means they are now past the 6.5 year point.

Even before that, they had a simulcast of the original Strike Witches series in summer 2008 (which each episode being available for only a limited amount of time).
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Seems like another thing these "missing link" series have in common is that they're related to King Records Japan. It was the same deal with Symphogear until CR started streaming the latest season GX while the first and second seasons aren't in their listings. Imagine that.

King Records' anime music arm is Starchild Records, and while it's true that they have some big-name franchises that aren't available for legal streaming (most notably Gundam, Evangelion, Nanoha, and Shaman King), I don't see an unusually large chunk of their catalog being held out of streaming, while the ones you can stream include plenty of music-oriented shows like AKB0048 and Beck (which are the ones you'd expect them to be most sensitive about if they were resistant to streaming). More likely the issue with those shows is that they're too popular in Japan and (except for Eva) not popular enough outside Japan, so that the likely size of the streaming audience doesn't justify the asking price for the rights.

Also, none of the KyoAni shows are affiliated with King Records at all. Pony Canyon did the music production for K-On, Tamako Market, Full Metal Panic, and the three Key adaptations, while Lantis handled music production for just about every other KyoAni series, including the never-streamed Hyouka. The exception seems to be Amagi, where the only music production company listed in the credits for that series is Flying Dog.

One thing King Records definitely seems to be picky about, though, is enforcing their copyrights on YouTube. Every single Nanoha YouTube video containing any of Nana Mizuki or Yukari Tamura's songs that's not on an official channel is quickly taken down or muted, and if you find one that isn't, it will be soon. I always have to go to other video sites when I want to listen to any of those songs.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

One thing King Records definitely seems to be picky about, though, is enforcing their copyrights on YouTube. Every single Nanoha YouTube video containing any of Nana Mizuki or Yukari Tamura's songs that's not on an official channel is quickly taken down or muted, and if you find one that isn't, it will be soon. I always have to go to other video sites when I want to listen to any of those songs.

Sony Music Entertainment is pretty good at removing content from Youtube also, not to mention keeping their official Kalafina channel inaccessible from outside Japan. Flying Dog seem to keep pulling the See-Saw song Anna ni Issho Datta no ni (Gundam Seed ED 1), and some Chiaki Ishikawa material.

Lantis actually did well for their 15th anniversary, releasing a lot of older PV's on the Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjR6YoI3EYrJXoQlEHt4HfQ
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Sony Music Entertainment is pretty good at removing content from Youtube also

They continue to block OP and ED songs from years ago as if being able to listen to 1:30 version of an eight-year-old anime song is going affect sales in 2015. For an example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnDp6ahmglc, the ED to Mononoke, has no audio.

My bet is that JASRAC is even more militant than the producers.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
It seems that the record companies over in Japan will do just about anything to keep music of their famous singers/seiyuu from being heard be foreign hearers...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Bear in mind a lot of it is automatic; they upload their music to Content ID and YouTube does the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
The asker makes a curious comparison. On one hand he says some shows have "good ratings" while the others are "fluff at best and unwatchable whatever at worst."

Sorry, but sometimes the stuff we might consider fluff or trash also gets good ratings, and sometimes the stuff we see as great gets mediocre numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3