• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Steps to Better Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
While I don't like calling out fan service at every, single, tiny, turn because it sort of comes off as though I'm some kind of above it all prude (imho) fan service in of itself is never really a reason for me to watch or read anything. If it's a part of it and it's not too in the way of the thing I'm actually interested in then alright, if it's something like to love ru I stay a good 50 feet away from it. It's kind of why I'm more interested in watching Free than Monster Girls even though free isn't aimed at me in the slightest (not only is it man service but a sports anime about swimming, which I can't do nor care too much about) because I have actually heard some good things about it story wise, whereas Monster girls is over the top sex comedy, which is fine, just not for me (I'm not one for monster girls or furries or anything of the sort anyway). Typically I just take it in stride until it goes too far.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
In terms of body types I would wish they were beyond super short, little girls or giant ballon boobs that make want to stick a pin in them. If a giant anime boob exploded, would it let out air, milk, or blood & pus? Some muscular or chubby anime women would be great in fanservice shows without treated as a joke like how some people are attracted to those types.

I believe silicone would come out or a full sized ham. Some shows have a more full spectrum of sizes, like To Love-ru, but there is too much of the unrealistically large busts out there, as well as the very underage seeming ones. For the too large ones, it just gets to a point where, personally, it doesn't seem attractive. I have to second Wingbeats on more realism in fanservice.

As to muscular female fanservice, while not in a fanservice anime, one of the Attack on Titan ovas has Mikasa training in a sports bra, and lets just say, her abs make the boys of Free! look flabby by comparison.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Those are some really good examples of fanservice done right. I especially appreciated the nods to Cat Planet Cuties and even Yamada's First Time. I approached Yamada's with some trepidation, but I really appreciated that the characters actually grasped that sex wasn't something to be approached lightly.

Probably the biggest mistake a fanservice show can make in my book is to fail to keep its characters looking attractive. I know that every production will have its slips in visual quality, but when your show's main draw is supposed to be its pretty characters, it is difficult to excuse the problem
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on all (sized) fronts. preffer the more outlandish ones myself, but more realism in boobsize,behaviour and musculatur would definetly be appreciated. Though then again, it kind of depends one the show. i don't mind that cerea has what appears to be jumbosized waterballoons attached to her chest, since most of that could be chalked up to her biology being significantly different from a human to start with, and that large and powerful underbody would logicaly require more nutrition then most humanly endowed women would be able to handle. So yeah, with the right context, most can be forgiven.

Last edited by Azmodeus on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Even fanservice needs plot, it's as simple as that for the most part. I have a lot of straight male friends that I've convinced to watch Free!, and every single one of them ended up enjoying the series since it has way more plot than it lets on. Without plot, you can only go so far.

And if the fanservice isn't pretty, what's the point in watching, sheesh ;P lol
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see this article.
No one getting demonized in relation to fanservice and guilty pleasures.

We should be discussing how to make fan service better, rather than if it'll boil down to some Video Games=Violence thing. This article does attempt to understand the issue and explain it, and I applaud the writer for his efforts..
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm beating a dead centaur here (sorry Ceria!), but it's the anatomy in over the top fanservice anime that bothers me more than anything else. Most of those boobs are so huge that I actually find them repulsive. Seriously, have animators never seen real boobs? Because they're great the way they are, and disgusting the way they're being drawn.

Then there's always the one character with a normal sized bust who has half her screen time dedicated to jealous glances at the other girls chests, or randomly screaming, "I'm sorry that they're so small!" at inappropriate times. Those jokes are not only old and pathetic, they're also constantly applied to anime girls who have no reason to make them. Out of all the anime I've ever seen, 'Working!!!' is the only one whose small boob jokes have been consistently humorous.

Probably even more disgusting is the catering to petanko lovers by sexualizing children, or skirting that criticism by making a "high school" girl look like a child. Nothing will make me turn off an anime faster than pedophilic fanservice. Except possibly tentacles.

I prefer subtle fanservice, but being forthright about it can keep me interested in shows that are neck deep in it, like what Monster Masume is doing now. DxD is one I'll keep watching since the English dubs for it are absofreakinlutely hilarious. I never usually watch dubs, because American voice acting blows, but the jokes in DxD's dubs, combined with the fanservice give that show a really fun atmosphere. It helps that the MC was actually given a reason for freaking out when the girls make advances on him. Most over the top fanservice shows aimed at dudes dodge the sex problem by making their MC's these chaste, prudish, unrealistic characters that are just annoying as hell (I'm looking at you, Rito Yuuki!).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I prefer my fanservice be outrageous and completely over the top. Qwaser, Kagaku na Yatsura, Senran Kagura, Ladies Versus Butlers, Manyuu Hikenchou, the current Bikini Warriors, and the upcoming Valkyrie Drive are all examples of the direction I'd prefer to see things go.

"B-b-but, these boobs are completely unrealistic!" Good! I don't watch many of the above shows for how deftly they handle sensitive subject matter or how close to realistic and boring proportions they approach.

I agree that shows do need to be aware when fanservice is appropriate or not, and should be changed to suit those needs better. Like Dragonaut shouldn't have attempted any serious story, it should have been full on comedy with full out nudity every episode. Anything less was a waste of those character designs and thus the show was a pile of crap. Nothing annoys me more than wasted potential, like the enormous knockers in Grenadier that keep getting used for the same joke; either show the things off fully or don't have them. Same goes for Eiken where it should have just had the nudity so that people who get upset over that kind of thing would have stopped watching immediately and saved themselves a decade of bitching.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I prefer my fanservice be outrageous and completely over the top. [...]

You, sir, are an honest man; and I salute you for it.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:

Probably even more disgusting is the catering to petanko lovers by sexualizing children, or skirting that criticism by making a "high school" girl look like a child. Nothing will make me turn off an anime faster than pedophilic fanservice. Except possibly tentacles.

Unfortunately, that's pretty endemic to anime Sad
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
Even fanservice needs plot, it's as simple as that for the most part. I have a lot of straight male friends that I've convinced to watch Free!, and every single one of them ended up enjoying the series since it has way more plot than it lets on. Without plot, you can only go so far.

And if the fanservice isn't pretty, what's the point in watching, sheesh ;P lol

I'd never heard of 'Free!' before today. Given all the glowing comments, I might have to check it out.

Maybe it's because I've only watched a few, but I've noticed that a lot of shōjo and josei anime tend to feature better writing than your typical shōnen anime. The same can be said for seinen anime. While some are duds, a lot of the more violent or sexual ones still have solid stories. A great story goes a long, long way.

Last edited by Sharkacon on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:

That is a pretty disgusting comment you just made. You're basically saying that depending on the size of a woman's breasts, the only people who would ever find them attractive are pedophiles because their breast size, regardless of any other characteristics, makes them look like children.

I seriously hope you're just using petanko wrong because that doesn't actually have anything to do with age (neither actual age nor how old some one looks).

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=118

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I prefer my fanservice be outrageous and completely over the top.

I completely agree. I will watch something like DxD, Qwaser, Queen's Blade, etc and just laugh my ass off at the fan service scenes because they're just that ridiculous.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
OK, folks: COOL YOUR JETS.

I do realize that that fanservice can be a hot-button topic to some, but that does not give anyone the right to fly off the handle at anyone. Please: If you are responding to someone else then think twice before clicking on the "Submit" icon. Remember: If a comment is going too far, then report it.

Thank you.
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
That is a pretty disgusting comment you just made. You're basically saying that depending on the size of a woman's breasts, the only people who would ever find them attractive are pedophiles because their breast size, regardless of any other characteristics, makes them look like children.

I seriously hope you're just using petanko wrong because that doesn't actually have anything to do with age (neither actual age nor how old some one looks).

You misunderstood my comment, which is my fault for even mentioning petanko.

I've got no problem with petanko characters. While it's not my cup of tea, a lot of them are really cute.

My issue is with fanservice on girls who look like children. Sometimes the entire show is drawn in that sort of art style, which some people love, but I find rather creepy. Other times they literally throw half naked children into the show (my only problem with Haganai is this recurring theme), or they draw the one high-school aged character who is constantly mistaken for an elementary school girl, then give us constant panty shots of her, or have the MC walk in on her changing every other episode.

It's really got nothing to do with petanko characters. I should have left that bit out. You can easily cater to petanko lovers without making the character look like a child. Some animators go the kid route, and that's my issue.

Last edited by Sharkacon on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:

Maybe it's because I've only watched a few, but I've noticed that a lot of shōjo and josei anime tend to feature better writing than your typical shōnen anime. The same can be said for seinen anime.

As someone who's read an absurd amount of manga (shonen, seinen, shojo, and josei), i can say that's not entirely true. Shonen certainly has its boring tropes (bland harem leads, infinite power-ups, horrid pacing), shojo can be just as bad (rapey male leads/love interests, the entire side cast constantly shaming the female lead, lackluster art). Even if these exist, there's good and bad for every type of story or genre.

I will say that shonen tends to fall into formula more often than other types of anime, but there's exceptions to that as well, and it's easy to find examples that aren't as formulaic. Go check some more stuff out! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7