• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Steps to Better Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
For me, when it comes to the in-your-face kind of fanservice shows, like To Love Ru, I much prefer reading the manga than watching the anime. I find fanservice in anime usually unappealing, for some reason, and by God do all the "boings" everyone loves throwing in annoy me.
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I will say that shonen tends to fall into formula more often than other types of anime, but there's exceptions to that as well, and it's easy to find examples that aren't as formulaic. Go check some more stuff out! Smile

I think my issue is that I've watched too much shonen, and not enough of the other demographics Laughing . I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel there, whereas with the other three I've only really seen the cream of the crop.

Thankfully, new animes come out every season!
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
For me, when it comes to the in-your-face kind of fanservice shows, like To Love Ru, I much prefer reading the manga than watching the anime. I find fanservice in anime usually unappealing, for some reason, and by God do all the "boings" everyone loves throwing in annoy me.

I like the To Love Ru manga a lot more than the anime. Some of that is the voice acting, which I feel has dropped off a lot, especially this season. Fanservice and funny go together like peanut butter and jelly. To Love Ru (among others) is so over the top that when the jokes aren't hitting, Rito's godlike falling abilities feel a bit awkward.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Another thing I don't like in fanservice in terms of bowling ball boobs is the lack of gag dicks. Think about it: a bishoujo has four guys falling for her but they all suffer from blimp sized wieners. At dinner dates, the guys will accidentally pick up the table with their huge schlongs. Someone tries to harm her, the guys will slap the offender silly using their dick kung fu. I mean, who wouldn't want to watch that?! Want crazy anatomy then go all out!

@zrnzle500
Mikasa is a great example; one of a few muscular women who's brawn is considered attractive within and outside the series. Yourichi (and quite a few female villians) from Bleach was rather strong looking and attractive. Kinda wish there was an anime about the marshmallow girl idol fashion that I heard about.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
When I got to point #4: All things in moderation..., I immediately thought of High School of the Dead, which I've always felt suffers for having too much fanservice. there's so much shoehorned in, it actively detracts from my enjoyment of the show Sad . The girls' designs are also a bit awkward, like they were drawn normally, and then someone plunked basketball and watermelon sized water balloons on their chests Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I prefer my fanservice be outrageous and completely over the top. [...]

You, sir, are an honest man; and I salute you for it.
Well I perfer my fanservice to be unlimited. No teasing, no subtlety. I'm not a virgin male what's only ever got off with a wet dream which is clearly what these subtle inunnedo nudge-nudge, wink-winks have in their crosshairs. If you're going to want to get my gearbox up to direct drive you better hook it up to the nitro burning supercharged powerplant or piss-off. One example of one title that I felt was ruined by unnecessary fanservice was Sacred Blacksmith. Too many times I was rolling my eyes lamenting "Oh, leave it out mate". Rolling Eyes
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Another thing I don't like in fanservice in terms of bowling ball boobs is the lack of gag dicks. Think about it: a bishoujo has four guys falling for her but they all suffer from blimp sized wieners. At dinner dates, the guys will accidentally pick up the table with their huge schlongs. Someone tries to harm her, the guys will slap the offender silly using their dick kung fu. I mean, who wouldn't want to watch that?! Want crazy anatomy then go all out!

Normally, I hate over-the-top fanservice anime and avoid them (I could only stand 1 episode of klk, for example) But I feel like THIS is a show I could watch xD Maybe not in its entirety or on a binge, but an episode here or there for shiz and giggles.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Daimidaler had some amount of penis gags. But don't worry, completely safe for work penis gags (they're just penguin's front tails)
Setis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:
I know I'm beating a dead centaur here (sorry Ceria!), but it's the anatomy in over the top fanservice anime that bothers me more than anything else. Most of those boobs are so huge that I actually find them repulsive. Seriously, have animators never seen real boobs? Because they're great the way they are, and disgusting the way they're being drawn.

This is actually my problem with High School DxD. I like the show, the characters, and the plot, but the way most of the boobs are drawn (particularly Rias') just creeps me out.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
#2 is the key, I think. In my experience, it's not so much that critics hate fanservice, they hate how it's often used as a crutch, or as a replacement for a real story. If your show has a good plot and characters AND you throw in some scenes of characters in swimsuits or whatever on top of that, I've got no objections. But if ALL you have to offer is fanservice, then your show is pointless. Because honestly, if plot-free sex appeal is what someone wants, we have hentai for that.
Zatmies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Whatever I like shows fanservice or not goes kind of show by show basis. In some shows it works, sometimes I just find myself rolling my eyes. But if there is one thing that constantly drives me nuts, it has to be:

Lame innuendos
Before ToLoveRu Darkness came along, the series felt more honest with me. Bath scene was just a bath scene. These days however it seems like many panels have been crafted to look more and more like a sex scenes. Sucking bananas and ice cream stuff are common examples of this type of fanservice. Yes, it can be funny when done tung in cheek. Other times it comes across as dishonest and lame trick to but hentai content on non-hentai show. Yamadas First time was good example of this done right. I guess it all come down to how "honest" the fanservice seems to me.
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:
My issue is with fanservice on girls who look like children. Sometimes the entire show is drawn in that sort of art style, which some people love, but I find rather creepy. Other times they literally throw half naked children into the show (my only problem with Haganai is this recurring theme), or they draw the one high-school aged character who is constantly mistaken for an elementary school girl, then give us constant panty shots of her, or have the MC walk in on her changing every other episode.

Oh man, this. I absolutely loathe this kind of practice. Sexualizing children-like or preteen-like characters is a big no for me.

I miss shows like Ikkitousen, Freezing, Agent Aika. Y'know, panty fighters? Physical fighting mixed with fanservice (high kicks, clothing damage, acrobatics that show characters' curves) don't seem to be prevalent in recent series, or am I missing a hidden gem? And before someone mentions Kill la Kill, I gotta say it was pretty disappointing as a panty fighter. And although Highschool of the Dead kinda hits close to the genre but not quite, I don't even dislike it because of its excessive fanservice (which I didn't mind) but because Rei and Saya were pretty obnoxious as characters.

Comedic slice-of-life shows seem to be the norm for fanservice series and while I did enjoy Bakemonogatari and B Gata H Kei, I think I grew out of it pretty quickly. I think Nisemonogatari and Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girl did a lot to turn me off of it. You can only do so many ecchi jokes before it becomes stale. Or maybe it was because those characters were dull or not attractive, my mind can't sort it out yet.

Now Golden Boy, that was something else. This show pretty much set the bar for funny fanservice series. But I think a lot of it has to do with the MC himself. And Prison School is worth mentioning as well, although I only read the manga so I don't know how well the anime adaptation holds itself.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
PetitePuff wrote:
When I got to point #4: All things in moderation..., I immediately thought of High School of the Dead, which I've always felt suffers for having too much fanservice. there's so much shoehorned in, it actively detracts from my enjoyment of the show Sad . The girls' designs are also a bit awkward, like they were drawn normally, and then someone plunked basketball and watermelon sized water balloons on their chests Wink

Oh, yeah... I remember that scene where the male lead shoots a sniper rifle while it still attached to the main female, with the barrel between her breasts. If we disregard the fact that she was completely unaffected by the firing sound of a sniper rifle close to her ears, the ridiculousness of the situation, and the crazy breast-physics that followed, felt like the show tried to be something else, and then snapped back to its usual routine.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
BZ Choy wrote:
Sharkacon wrote:
My issue is with fanservice on girls who look like children. Sometimes the entire show is drawn in that sort of art style, which some people love, but I find rather creepy. Other times they literally throw half naked children into the show (my only problem with Haganai is this recurring theme), or they draw the one high-school aged character who is constantly mistaken for an elementary school girl, then give us constant panty shots of her, or have the MC walk in on her changing every other episode.

Oh man, this. I absolutely loathe this kind of practice. Sexualizing children-like or preteen-like characters is a big no for me.

I miss shows like Ikkitousen, Freezing, Agent Aika. Y'know, panty fighters? Physical fighting mixed with fanservice (high kicks, clothing damage, acrobatics that show characters' curves) don't seem to be prevalent in recent series, or am I missing a hidden gem? And before someone mentions Kill la Kill, I gotta say it was pretty disappointing as a panty fighter. And although Highschool of the Dead kinda hits close to the genre but not quite, I don't even dislike it because of its excessive fanservice (which I didn't mind) but because Rei and Saya were pretty obnoxious as characters.

Comedic slice-of-life shows seem to be the norm for fanservice series and while I did enjoy Bakemonogatari and B Gata H Kei, I think I grew out of it pretty quickly. I think Nisemonogatari and Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girl did a lot to turn me off of it. You can only do so many ecchi jokes before it becomes stale. Or maybe it was because those characters were dull or not attractive, my mind can't sort it out yet.

Now Golden Boy, that was something else. This show pretty much set the bar for funny fanservice series. But I think a lot of it has to do with the MC himself. And Prison School is worth mentioning as well, although I only read the manga so I don't know how well the anime adaptation holds itself.

panty fighters kinda sell bad anime wise, so they need to have somethign else attached to them, commercialyl speaking like queen's blade and other hobbyjapan stuff that is used to sell figurines or senran kagura which accompanies a videogame.
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is sad. You'd figure since panty fighters are basically a blend of the shounen fighting genre and fanservice shows, two kinds of anime pretty popular, that they'd sell like hot cakes. What's the matter? smh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7